Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Muckit wrote: »
    Super stock. What way have you them curry combed??!! :D

Thanks! Ha! Leitrim style :pac: First time I've tied him up today so was just brushing him to get him settled. Then just nabbed her in off the slats to see how she'd look up against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

I have bought from Martin for about ten years at this stage couldn't complain about anything I bought from him. I still have most of them had to sell 3 out of about 20 odd a few to go next year but that's age more than anything also had plenty of AI heifer calves which I kept , didn't get there this year looking at some of the prices I was better of at home .
    The halter trained heifers you're waiting a bit longer to get your money back and if you had a good heifer he's not shy about buying , to be fair he is selling top quality stock.
    He's also finding it harder to get top quality heifers because of the BDGP and his reputation for getting on well with them when selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Thank you! I'm still wondering if it's the right thing to do with the bull as he's so young, haven't weaned him yet but going to take him away form the cow tomorrow. Not got great front legs either so starting to doubt him now. But I've had fun training them at least :D

Front legs is first thing i look at in calves. Only 3 ecolo calves ive seen and all dont have great legs at all.. He'll look well when hes clipped.

2 pb bull calfs here and if things go well i might try and halter them.

Front legs is first thing i look at in calves. Only 3 ecolo calves ive seen and all dont have great legs at all.. He'll look well when hes clipped.

2 pb bull calfs here and if things go well i might try and halter them.

I've not seen many of them but you're prob right with their legs, though the heifer last year had a great front, only issue was the off hind limp, though it came right eventually.
    Getting them washed & clipped next week, then as long as they behave i'll have happy :D

Give them a shot, starting them early makes it much easier on you & the calf.

Savage calves. Hopefully the rest of the just the job calves come ok. He has some length and width. Going to be a big lad.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

:(

Another one calve ? 😬

Another one calve ? 😬

Yep. Big bull calf again. Side door job again. Head wouldnt even get in the pelvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

Yep. Big bull calf again. Side door job again. Head wouldnt even get in the pelvis.

What bull are they after

valtra2 wrote: »
    What bull are they after

Doon just the job. Ch2305.
    Mistakes were made

Mistakes were made

Don't beat yourself up about it. You took a chance & it hasn't worked out, these things happen. I was thinking about using him on a couple but was too scared to try it after a neighbour got a bad doing with one calf off him.
    Fingers crossed the others will be ok, along with the section cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Mistakes were made

These things happen. Better that way than locked at the hipps and Notting going anywhere. I was going to use him before too before his cd rose. At least you only have on left. It just shows the importance of spreading around a few bulls. Imagine the worry if you had a dozen in the oven. Hopefully the Pair are ok.

These things happen. Better that way than locked at the hipps and Notting going anywhere. I was going to use him before too before his cd rose. At least you only have on left. It just shows the importance of spreading around a few bulls. Imagine the worry if you had a dozen in the oven. Hopefully the Pair are ok.

Ya fine but just a pain in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

Mistakes were made

Wow 19%. I had a 18% few years ago hard pull and cow never got up so I would rather out the side anyway.

valtra2 wrote: »
    Wow 19%. I had a 18% few years ago hard pull and cow never got up so I would rather out the side anyway.

Same as that. Same cow had ecolo at 15.8% last year. Calved herself. Fine line evidently.
    I dont think its overfeeding because the other calves are coming small

Same as that. Same cow had ecolo at 15.8% last year. Calved herself. Fine line evidently.
    I dont think its overfeeding because the other calves are coming small

More to do with thickness I reckon. That Doon calf in the photo is a great raw lump of a thing, ecolo calves have finer bone, more blueish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,608 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Work in progress.

20181117-104846.jpg

All gone.

20181117-105003.jpg

If your worms are not eating your cow's manure and pulling it (carbon) deep into the soil, serious questions need to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Work in progress.

20181117-104846.jpg

All gone.

20181117-105003.jpg

If your worms are not eating your cow's manure and pulling it (carbon) deep into the soil, serious questions need to be asked.

What would you advise to do first to get the worms working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Whats the time interval between the pics?

Read them a bedtime story. :D

I dunno just the basics.
    Go back to how our forebarers farmed?
    Dose stock ONLY when necessary.
    Spray herbicide ONLY when necessary.
    That kind of stuff.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Whats the time interval between the pics?

It's two different pats in the same paddock.
    So your guess is as good as mine.

30 seconds I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If worms aren’t eating cows dung they might have been recently dosed

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Had the second calf born by the same sire as the previous white bull. Bull calf again. Going to ask for the vet to search for more straws! Heifer calved herself. 288days gestation, 50.5kgs. The white one weighed 54kgs at three days age today. Fair calves for heifers!
    DSCF3019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

2 great lumps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That's a big calf.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

That's a big calf.
    A bit bigger than I'd want for a heifer. Don't mind such calf for a cow. I already knew that the sire isn't heifer safe bull, but both heifers have easy calving history in their mother side. Our average calf with the previous herdbull was around 45-46kgs, many being 50-53kgs. Quite used to bigger calves. Have seen that the AI bull's birth weight was 45kgs, so I said to myself that we should be able to handle it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

golodge wrote: »
    A bit bigger than I'd want for a hteifer. Don't mind such calf for a cow. I already knew that the sire isn't heifer safe bull, but both heifers have easy calving history in their mother side. Our average calf with the previous herdbull was around 45-46kgs, many being 50-53kgs. Quite used to bigger calves. Have seen that the AI bull's birth weight was 45kgs, so I said to myself that we should be able to handle it.:cool:
    what age are those heifers calving at 30 mts or older.?

High bike wrote: »
    what age are those heifers calving at 30 mts or older.?
    The red is 29months old, white- 31months. Have waited last year until they came home for the winter and these two hasn't stuck on their first AI, so it took abit more time. The red is abit bigger, but both should be slightly over 600kgs.
    Never tried calving earlier, but next year will have a group of heifers calving at 25-27months age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

I might get to December with stock grazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Unusual to be able to have cows grazing in mid Nov in the west

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

466441.jpgthe poster boy for the Irish limousin society as I call him

Advertisement