Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Some amount of straw. Gelbefarm Tyson i suppose? Fine bull. Great length in that calf

Lol just bedded so they were comfortable. Ya Glebfarm Tyson. Ya she's nice and long, hopefully she'll fill out nicely over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

The recent bull calves by Tweeddale Lookout. Gestation 285 and 288days. One 50kgs, another 56.2kgs.
    DSCF3003.jpg
    DSCF3006.jpg

Have seen some people using him on heifers... Not sure if it's a fresh air and snow, as all our cows are kept outside, but with such weights I wouldn't try him on heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

golodge wrote: »
    The recent bull calves by Tweeddale Lookout. Gestation 285 and 288days. One 50kgs, another 56.2kgs.
    DSCF3003.jpg
    DSCF3006.jpg

Have seen some people using him on heifers... Not sure if it's a fresh air and snow, as all our cows are kept outside, but with such weights I wouldn't try him on heifers.

Nice calves, good to see short gestation
    They’d be monsters if carried to 292 days

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Nice calves, good to see short gestation
    They’d be monsters if carried to 292 days
    Yeah, thankfully they were born earlier.

Our biggest ever was born at 294days and it was limox out of angusxbbxdairy cow. Weighed 70kgs. Don't want such size calves from any cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Some place to work.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I find it fascinating watching the footage of them felling the big redwoods (sequoias) in the old days. It was some achievement with only axes and cross cut saws, some of those tree's are hard to comprehend in terms of size.

There's some great material on YouTube from the 1940's on lumberjacks and the associated trades. It must have been back breaking work and absurdly dangerous but was bound to have been a great experience at the same time. Those men really were pioneers in every sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I find it fascinating watching the footage of them felling the big redwoods (sequoias) in the old days. It was some achievement with only axes and cross cut saws, some of those tree's are hard to comprehend in terms of size.

There's some great material on YouTube from the 1940's on lumberjacks and the associated trades. It must have been back breaking work and absurdly dangerous but was bound to have been a great experience at the same time. Those men really were pioneers in every sense of the word.

They are absolutely huge, have an uncle in San Francisco and he brought us to Yosemite when I was a young lad. Never seen anything like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I hope that they are preserving a good bit of the big old wood like that now. By God they were men though, some of the old clips where they hardly even have ropes and they up in the big trees. They were some men to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Do ye think there are many hardy fellas around these days like there was then?

I was thinking this a few days ago when I was out doing stuff with the father. It was nothing major, just move some sand from against a wall over to another spot in the yard. He said, go get the wheelbarrow and shovel. Myself, I'd have got the loader and done it. Half an hour later, it was moved - 6 barrows full (done it myself while he sat watching - age is catching up). Would have been done in 2 mins with the loader. The difference is, the loader never even entered his head. It was started already for a different job, and parked there beside the sand, but he still never thought of it (or did and just wanted to do it the old way).

Is the newer generation gone softer? We have easier ways of doing things now, and we always pick it. But that's human nature anyway (yer brain will always look for the quickest, least effort way of doing things). Would lads today (myself included) be able to do what lads of previous generations did? Or have we progressed now with laziness, efficiencies, and health & safety driven us to a point to where we wouldn't entertain doing some of the jobs that were done before?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Do ye think there are many hardy fellas around these days like there was then?

I was thinking this a few days ago when I was out doing stuff with the father. It was nothing major, just move some sand from against a wall over to another spot in the yard. He said, go get the wheelbarrow and shovel. Myself, I'd have got the loader and done it. Half an hour later, it was moved - 6 barrows full (done it myself while he sat watching - age is catching up). Would have been done in 2 mins with the loader. The difference is, the loader never even entered his head. It was started already for a different job, and parked there beside the sand, but he still never thought of it (or did and just wanted to do it the old way).

Is the newer generation gone softer? We have easier ways of doing things now, and we always pick it. But that's human nature anyway (yer brain will always look for the quickest, least effort way of doing things). Would lads today (myself included) be able to do what lads of previous generations did? Or have we progressed now with laziness, efficiencies, and health & safety driven us to a point to where we wouldn't entertain doing some of the jobs that were done before?

Why kill yourself for no reason. Many of the older generations are suffering with hip, knee and back problems where they damaged themselves.

Such equipment like loaders and such aren't available to them back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Reggie. wrote: »
    Why kill yourself for no reason. Many of the older generations are suffering with hip, knee and back problems where they damaged themselves.

But they are now, but the choice is often not to use them!
    Same as chopping timber. My auld lad would rather use an axe (what I mean is he'd rather see me using an axe) than the log splitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Same as chopping timber. My auld lad would rather use an axe (what I mean is he'd rather see me using an axe) than the log splitter!

Their was 4 full time lads here back in the 60/70’s milking 45 cows and a bit of tillage, 140 cows now and it’s just myself and the ole chap chips in when not on the lorry, simply isn’t the time for messing around at manual jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Axe is probably quicker tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Axe is probably quicker tbh

Good training for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Reggie. wrote: »

I wouldn't say it's killing themselves, we're more knowledgable these days about how much & how to lift.
    Obesity is far more likely to kill so I'd be all for working it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That’s what I like to call “auld lad syndrome” why do it the easy way when you can do it the hard way.

My dad is a divil for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think for a lot of the older guys, they were so used to back breaking work, that any middle of the road stuff, was easy to them. I remember my own father used to carry 2 bales of hay on his back across 2 fields every day to feed a few weanlings. No wonder his hip joints gave up early in life.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

A lot of lads still seem to have a penchant for hardship regardless of age. Modernization has reduced this somewhat but there's a hard and easy way about everything depending on your viewpoint. I think younger generations that have grown up with modern methods tend to look at tasks differently and would be more inclined to use newer equipment or facilities. Older people would be more inclined to tear into a job and think nothing about the hardship involved.

In times gone by there was usually bigger families and more of a rural population available to lend a hand. A larger farm would also more than likely have a few men employed, this meant a team of men could be assembled for the tougher jobs. A sense of community spirit prevailed and everyone helped and in turn recieved help. Nowadays many are "one man bands" and help is scarce meaning big jobs require mechanization or a specialized operator.

The advent of off-farm employment has meant more money is available to modernize ways of working. Many older full time farmers may have limited funds and would therefore have used there own manual labour over investment in modernization. Having work or family commitments mean tasks need to completed easily and efficiently, I see older bachelor's that would quite happily spend the day at tasks simply to pass the time. Younger lads with jobs and or families would do it in a fraction of the time through necessity.

Much of the time it's down to how you view the situation. I'm most definitely lazier than my forefathers and will only get physically stuck in when necessary but would always look for easier or more effective means where possible. I've an 82 year old neighbor who adores hardship and spends every day pulling and dragging rather than make life easier for himself. There's a saying about him locally that "he doesn't eat when he's hungry but only when he has time". That sort of an attitude wouldn't be in the minority locally, I've family members the same. I personally think life is too short to revel in see how difficult you can make your time on this rock but to each there own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Big post do not going to quote it ^^
    But yes its easier. I've never used a tractor to feed, it could be easier. Actually sorry it would be easier, but I am happier with my graipe and putting it out daily. It also means I see stock on a daily basis v close up and I think that's where farming shout be headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

There is a fine line between doing stuff the hard way or the lazy way. There is a lad beside me and if it cant be done with the tractor he has no interest in it. Even getting in cattle he is out on the tractor or jeep running them around the field. All you hear is the horn beeping and blowing. Personally I prefer to tip out the field with a bucket & let the cattle walk in behind me, it leaves cattle a lot easier to handle. Same with feeding silage, I will shake it out with the loader and then use the grape and sweeping brush to keep it tidy. Where as the lad beside me bulls it in with the loader, drives across anything that falls and then uses the bucket on the loader to scrap all the waste out. I am convinced he would only need 2/3 of his silage if he got down off the tractor the odd time.

• Advertisement

The last day of winter....I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Any drone pictures? Your part of the world would fairly impressive with the snow

rushvalley wrote: »
    Any drone pictures? Your part of the world would fairly impressive with the snow

No didn't even think of it. Was chasing my tail all day trying to get everything fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Any calves yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

no snow out my way,

297 days isl heifer calf
    471871.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

297 days isl heifer calf
    471871.jpg

Ye of little faith!!
    Very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

297 days isl heifer calf
    471871.jpg

What do you think of isl, will breed low muscle high skeletal cattle going by his figures anyway.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Any calves yet?

Nope, another fortnight I'd say. See a couple just starting to soften the smallest little bit.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    What do you think of isl, will breed low muscle high skeletal cattle going by his figures anyway.

Probably. Long calf,narrow shoulder. Never used him before. First simmental bull used here in over 10 years

Advertisement