Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

I find a rope around the cow's abdomen just in front of the udder and the hook bones has a similar effect. Pass it around the body and tightened adequately it takes the power out of any beast, I'd imagine it work off the same principle as putting up the tail for squeezing. I'm yet to see it to fail, they might lift the feet but there's no power to kick.

Never heard of that. Does the rope have to be real tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye have done the rope around the ribs alright it takes the power out of most of them alright but I remember 1a few years ago was bouncing around like a kangaroo with the rope on her. Another one I find hands is the lift the front foot with a rope that general stops any kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Handy tip for milking sucklers. Heard of this at the suckler demo at Ennis Mart. This cow would break your hand if you went near her.
    Killed two birds with one stone today and paired one of her feet too. She's just calved a few days and too much milk for the calf. Teats were too full for him to drink, so milked her out. She didn't budge with the leg hoisted up.
    If the seal wasn’t broke would you not leave them be?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Never heard of that. Does the rope have to be real tight?

Yes as tight as you can get it within reason. I'd imagine it's compressing the nerves in the spine which cause a sort of temporary paralysis, it sounds very brutal but has no lasting effects that I've ever witnessed. When your on your own trying to milk a cow or put a calf sucking it really comes into its own, there's usually a rope of some sort available when nothing else is to hand. A loop in one end of the rope and feed the loose end through it and pull tight is the easiest way, a simple bow knot to hold the tension and your good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If the seal wasn’t broke would you not leave them be?

With a younger calf I would, but this one is 8 days old now. I was watching him drink this morning and he had one teat completely dry and looked like he couldn't brake the seal on the other 2 (I spin gone). With big bottle teats, the seal can be hard to break.
    Neighbour warned me about it before. He couldn't understand what was wrong with his calf, poor devil was sucking but getting no milk.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Yes as tight as you can get it within reason. I'd imagine it's compressing the nerves in the spine which cause a sort of temporary paralysis, it sounds very brutal but has no lasting effects that I've ever witnessed. When your on your own trying to milk a cow or put a calf sucking it really comes into its own, there's usually a rope of some sort available when nothing else is to hand. A loop in one end of the rope and feed the loose end through it and pull tight is the easiest way, a simple bow knot to hold the tension and your good to go.
    saw the out fella do it many a time it definitely works, if you tighten it enough no way will they kick and no lasting effect after

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭sonnybill

High bike wrote: »
    saw the out fella do it many a time it definitely works, if you tighten it enough no way will they kick and no lasting effect after

I do that when squeezing on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

maybe I'm stateing the obvious lads but why not just use a kicking bar!

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    maybe I'm stateing the obvious lads but why not just use a kicking bar!

I find kick bars to be hit and miss tbh, on some cows they work grand but it only seems to antagonize others. The rope is 100% effective in my experience and not much more difficult to apply. A rope is also easier sourced at times compared to a kick bar especially if on an out farm ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I find kick bars to be hit and miss tbh, on some cows they work grand but it only seems to antagonize others. The rope is 100% effective in my experience and not much more difficult to apply. A rope is also easier sourced at times compared to a kick bar especially if on an out farm ect.

I have 2 of um hanging right above my calving pens and another hanging above the crush on the out farm. 2 seconds to put um on. the only cows that will give any trouble with a kicking bar are the very square muscled types that don't have a very pronounced ridge. I'd use them allot if a cow wasn't letting a calf suck. eventually all you'll need to do is hang the bar off her and she won't even contemplate kicking. tbh i thought the days of doing um up with ropes was long gone.

• Advertisement

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I have 2 of um hanging right above my calving pens and another hanging above the crush on the out farm. 2 seconds to put um on. the only cows that will give any trouble with a kicking bar are the very square muscled types that don't have a very pronounced ridge. I'd use them allot if a cow wasn't letting a calf suck. eventually all you'll need to do is hang the bar off her and she won't even contemplate kicking. tbh i thought the days of doing um up with ropes was long gone.

We have one hanging off the wall plate in an old shed for as long as I can remember, it doesn't get used as the rope does a similar job and is nearly as convenient in my experience. If your happy using the kick bar then use it by all means however there's usually more than one way to accomplish everything.

As for the days of trussing them up with ropes I think it's become less common in recent years. I'm by far the youngest farmer in the locality, there's 7 other men still farming on our road and if I'm excluded the average age must be near 70. Only one of them has family and it's like a step back in time to observe some of what goes on daily. There's only one 4wd tractor and two slatted sheds, the rest have 35's or similar and either out winter the stock or tie them in the byre for the winter.

I helped one character with a herd test a few weeks ago, his crush fell apart a few years back and he hasn't got round to repairing it yet. The 10 cattle were either tied in a stall or corralled behind a gate for the vet, it's like something out of a James Herriot book. Conversely a lad about my age arrived at the mart lately with a few dry cow's, most of them had only one tag but he had replacement's in his pocket to put in. Having put the cows in the chute he remarked that we couldn't tag them as there was no skulling gate, obviously he came from a more privileged farming background than myself. He was amazed when I caught the first cow by the nose and told him to stick a tag in her asap, I informed him after that a chute was considered a luxury in our area. I don't think he'd get too far if given a halter or any other rope to do something with a beast if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

We have one hanging off the wall plate in an old shed for as long as I can remember, it doesn't get used as the rope does a similar job and is nearly as convenient in my experience. If your happy using the kick bar then use it by all means however there's usually more than one way to accomplish everything.

As for the days of trussing them up with ropes I think it's become less common in recent years. I'm by far the youngest farmer in the locality, there's 7 other men still farming on our road and if I'm excluded the average age must be near 70. Only one of them has family and it's like a step back in time to observe some of what goes on daily. There's only one 4wd tractor and two slatted sheds, the rest have 35's or similar and either out winter the stock or tie them in the byre for the winter.

I helped one character with a herd test a few weeks ago, his crush fell apart a few years back and he hasn't got round to repairing it yet. The 10 cattle were either tied in a stall or corralled behind a gate for the vet, it's like something out of a James Herriot book. Conversely a lad about my age arrived at the mart lately with a few dry cow's, most of them had only one tag but he had replacement's in his pocket to put in. Having put the cows in the chute he remarked that we couldn't tag them as there was no skulling gate, obviously he came from a more privileged farming background than myself. He was amazed when I caught the first cow by the nose and told him to stick a tag in her asap, I informed him after that a chute was considered a luxury in our area. I don't think he'd get too far if given a halter or any other rope to do something with a beast if necessary.

My own rope skills are abysmal. A neighbour is deadly at setting up ropes to hold up a leg or make a halter or anything, the best part is that his knots can be undone in a jiffy. If myself or the old boy have to tie a cow any way we will have a knife ready first!
    Should be part of the green cert

Bullocks wrote: »
    My own rope skills are abysmal. A neighbour is deadly at setting up ropes to hold up a leg or make a halter or anything, the best part is that his knots can be undone in a jiffy. If myself or the old boy have to tie a cow any way we will have a knife ready first!
    Should be part of the green cert

My rope skill's are fairly average too tbh but I'm improving all the time, like that there's a few lads locally who would rival any cowboy as regards lassoing stock. You have a point about such skills being included in the green cert and other such training, usually Teagasc and the like have top notch facilities compared to the average yard. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are incapable of tying a simple knot. My own better half is an example of such a person, she can tie her laces but will just wrap the rope around something and be amazed when it fails under pressure. I always tie a beast with a bow knot or something similar that can be released almost immediately if needed, having said that I'm still rarely without a pen knife for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Had my eye on this little roan heifer last year, belonging to a neighbour.

ZwJVZfzl.jpg?1

Tagged her again today, ooch she's a beauty!

vHk8cnGl.jpg

Had my eye on this little roan heifer last year, belonging to a neighbour.

ZwJVZfzl.jpg?1

Tagged her again today, ooch she's a beauty!

vHk8cnGl.jpg
    the one that got away:D

the one that got away:D

Not away yet, yet to decide if he'll keep her or sell. Will definitely throw in an offer if she's for sale, but if not, as least I can look at her!

Not away yet, yet to decide if he'll keep her or sell. Will definitely throw in an offer if she's for sale, but if not, as least I can look at her!
    shes something to look at all right, what’s the breeding?

shes something to look at all right, what’s the breeding?

Gamin off that CPW (BB) cow in the top pic. The orangey one behind her is her first daughter, who she had at 16 or 17 months of age after a winter of feeding :pac: Not had to lay a hand on her for calving yet so I'd be hopeful of that red lass having the same habit!

Gamin (ZGM) is surprisingly good for daughter's calving, given the shape of him.

Have they milk??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Gamin (ZGM) is surprisingly good for daughter's calving, given the shape of him.

Have a gawk at TVR, .5% dau calving difficulty.

Feck. At that rate they'd calf coming sideways.

You gotta love the Amish.

Another reason I'm hoping for a tvr heifer from my blonde, she's due in 3 weeks & not looking too heavy so could be in luck....time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You gotta love the Amish.

They can use a tractor to pump the slurry but can't use a tractor to spread it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Rear end view of my two bulls, one on the left is by Raffertys Emmanuel and was born in May, one on right is by zag and born in November. Not pushed and out wintered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Rear end view of my two bulls, one on the left is by Raffertys Emmanuel and was born in May, one on right is by zag and born in November. Not pushed and out wintered.

Trim the tails. Makes a big differenec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Yesterday's arrival.

Some horse. Would be handy at calving time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A pic of the two shorthorn heifers during the week.

Advertisement