Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi BP, will you breed from them? From memory their purebred? There very nice looking, wouldn’t mind then in my field:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi BP, will you breed from them? From memory their purebred? There very nice looking, wouldn’t mind then in my field:D
    Yes they are going to be the foundation of my suckler herd :eek:

I'm going to pick two or three hex or six heifers that that you can see in the picture and breed from them - I will double suck them if possible.

I bought two shx heifer calves yesterday from a dairy farmer friend - the same farmer that I got Daisy from. I will post a pic over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

There is a new 30 day compliance cert for show cattle https://www.farmersjournal.ie/new-show-certificate-movement-introduced-455217

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

My Nav boy picked up reserve! :eek:

• Advertisement

Well done. I bet that put a spring in your step. Was it overall reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

well done, you have a good job done on him.

Well done. I bet that put a spring in your step. Was it overall reserve?

Just reserve in the limos, not overall. There were Charolais there who could probably calve him :D
    Funny thing though, I had a bull picked out as the winner in the Limo class. Serious bull by Bavardage, huge scopey animal. And the judge pulled him in 1st & me 2nd, followed by others. But then going round again, he put the original bull down into 4th :eek: And moved me up.
    Never seen a bull drop so many places in one go, whatever the judge seen or didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Just reserve in the limos, not overall. There were Charolais there who could probably calve him :D
    Funny thing though, I had a bull picked out as the winner in the Limo class. Serious bull by Bavardage, huge scopey animal. And the judge pulled him in 1st & me 2nd, followed by others. But then going round again, he put the original bull down into 4th :eek: And moved me up.
    Never seen a bull drop so many places in one go, whatever the judge seen or didn't like.

Did you sell?

Did you sell?

I did indeed. Flying trade, never seen it as good there before. V little unsold that I seen (I missed a lot of the ch selling to be truthful)

• Advertisement

I went to the Lim bull sale in Athenry on Thursday and it was a great sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Brill congrats

The speckle park heifer calves were sold. I ended up buying 2 yearling heifers instead. 31march2017 paid €500 each delivered with some luck back.
    (Dunno why one photo is upside down)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The speckle park heifer calves were sold. I ended up buying 2 yearling heifers instead. 31march2017 paid €500 each delivered with some luck back.

Smashing heifers there. Best of luck with them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I did indeed. Flying trade, never seen it as good there before. V little unsold that I seen (I missed a lot of the ch selling to be truthful)

I thought quality was fairly mixed tbh, any nice bulls made lots imo but there were plenty plainer lads that struggled to sell. Plenty of average bulls unsold around the €1800 - €2000 mark while anything nice made closer to €3000 and over. Overall I thought there was only a handful of bulls I'd actually consider buying based solely on physical traits, I know little of pedigrees or star ratings.

I thought you got on well with your lad, he was a stylish little bull and sold well imo. I assume you'll be back with another offering before long?

I thought quality was fairly mixed tbh, any nice bulls made lots imo but there were plenty plainer lads that struggled to sell. Plenty of average bulls unsold around the €1800 - €2000 mark while anything nice made closer to €3000 and over. Overall I thought there was only a handful of bulls I'd actually consider buying based solely on physical traits, I know little of pedigrees or star ratings.

I thought you got on well with your lad, he was a stylish little bull and sold well imo. I assume you'll be back with another offering before long?

I didn't get to see much of the ch alright but am a crappy judge of them so I'm out of my depth! Big improvement with prices compared to the last sale I was at there, though a few others also said the same, saying gort was quite bad. Unless I'm confused think that champion was also at Gort but got nothing in the show? And was only making 2650 or something in the ring?
    Was supposed to have my lad clipped this morning but the guy booked to do it was in a crash so couldn't get over today so was at a bit of a loss what to do & just went without clipping in the end, got on just as well without it!
    Have one more lad but he's plain enough, done better than I ever thought he'd do though, heifers calf who had an abscess on his navel for a long time. Only thrived since it burst.
    What did you think of that big Bavardage bull beside mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I didn't get to see much of the ch alright but am a crappy judge of them so I'm out of my depth! Big improvement with prices compared to the last sale I was at there, though a few others also said the same, saying gort was quite bad. Unless I'm confused think that champion was also at Gort but got nothing in the show? And was only making 2650 or something in the ring?
    Was supposed to have my lad clipped this morning but the guy booked to do it was in a crash so couldn't get over today so was at a bit of a loss what to do & just went without clipping in the end, got on just as well without it!
    Have one more lad but he's plain enough, done better than I ever thought he'd do though, heifers calf who had an abscess on his navel for a long time. Only thrived since it burst.

What did your fella make in the end? Thought he looked well on dd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

nice heifers and cheap at that price,what weight are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

hes a smasher what age is he?

What did your fella make in the end? Thought he looked well on dd.

That'd be telling! Ah no, he made over 2 but less than 2500. So pretty much what I was looking for on DD.

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    hes a smasher what age is he?

14 months, off to Cavan. Poor fella :pac:

I'm far from an expert either although I do know what I like and dislike in stock. I don't follow the pedigree sales and only called into Carrick as I was passing. I seen the other limousine bull but I didn't pass that much heed on him tbh, he looked to be a fine animal but I didn't see him sold. As regards judging it's only one man's opinion and I always thought that if a judge is going to buy a bull then he's liable to give champion to him regardless of what else is on offer.

High bike wrote: »
    nice heifers and cheap at that price,what weight are they?

I reckon 260kgish, I’m no expert at weights. I didn’t haggle with prices as I might deal with him again.

I sold 2 red speckled limo heifers off the field. Same age and similar weight for €735 so I wanted to replace them.

I reckon 260kgish, I’m no expert at weights. I didn’t haggle with prices as I might deal with him again.

I sold 2 red speckled limo heifers off the field. Same age and similar weight for €735 so I wanted to replace them.

The speckle parks have become very popular in recent years, I understand there easy calving but tend to be very narrow and I struggle to see what else they offer as a commercial breed. Would the heifers you sold not have been better breeding prospects as I assume that you intend to bull the bought one's?

The speckle parks have become very popular in recent years, I understand there easy calving but tend to be very narrow and I struggle to see what else they offer as a commercial breed. Would the heifers you sold not have been better breeding prospects as I assume that you intend to bull the bought one's?

They were off the stock bull and I don’t plan on getting rid of him just yet. I have one of their mothers AId so if she held, hopefully I’ll get a heifer for replacement.

I don’t know what type of farming I’ll be at in 2 years. I wanted to try a few low maintainance breeds.

I'm far from an expert either although I do know what I like and dislike in stock. I don't follow the pedigree sales and only called into Carrick as I was passing. I seen the other limousine bull but I didn't pass that much heed on him tbh, he looked to be a fine animal but I didn't see him sold. As regards judging it's only one man's opinion and I always thought that if a judge is going to buy a bull then he's liable to give champion to him regardless of what else is on offer.

I know what you mean about liking & disliking animals. I have certain attributes that I like and others I hate!!

Just thought it so strange how the judge demoted him (baverdage bull) so strictly.

I know what you mean about liking & disliking animals. I have certain attributes that I like and others I hate!!

Just thought it so strange how the judge demoted him (baverdage bull) so strictly.

I'm very particular about colours, no curly hair and nice heads etc to the point where most others probably think I'm obsessive but I can't help it. Obviously other physical traits are very important too and everything needs to be in balance.

The whole judging craic is very cloak and dagger from what I see. Like everything politics plays a big part and it's hard sometimes to make sense of it from the sidelines. If you had an inside line on the circumstances involved it usually shows some method to the madness.

They were off the stock bull and I don’t plan on getting rid of him just yet. I have one of their mothers AId so if she held, hopefully I’ll get a heifer for replacement.

I don’t know what type of farming I’ll be at in 2 years. I wanted to try a few low maintainance breeds.

I understand your reasoning and if it works for you than that's all that matters. I've always wanted to run a few Irish moiled cows (they seem almost identical to the speckled parks only red roan) but the weanlings would probably take a big hit compared to more conventional continental breeds. On marginal land running a low stocking rate of such cows might be an option going forward and the money saved on maintaing the cow might cover the reduction in sale prices for there offspring.

I understand your reasoning and if it works for you than that's all that matters. I've always wanted to run a few Irish moiled cows (they seem almost identical to the speckled parks only red roan) but the weanlings would probably take a big hit compared to more conventional continental breeds. On marginal land running a low stocking rate of such cows might be an option going forward and the money saved on maintaing the cow might cover the reduction in sale prices for there offspring.

Well I was thinking Irish moiled before actually. I have a good wage, but currently time poor. The cattle I have are grand but they are all calving late now after last summer. To say our land is marginal is an understatement. While the farm is in my mothers name, my brother is her accountant and it’s tough enough to get cash to even get manure and a few nuts.

• Advertisement

I've gone to a lot of Limousin pedigree sales in recent years. To be honest, I don't pay much heed to the show results. It's what happens in the sales ring that counts. As the years go on, I notice more and more people pay attention to the figures, especially the calving. Anything hard calving is hard sold. But that doesn't seem to count in the show results.
    I know what I like. Everyone is different. I've seen bulls sell for over €3k and they could hardly walk. Funny, but all the top breeders always seem to breed the same type of cattle. The Newtown herd (your county neighbours) always seem to breed very stylish and classy animals.

Advertisement