Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I've gone to a lot of Limousin pedigree sales in recent years. To be honest, I don't pay much need to the show results. It's what happens in the sales ring that counts. As the years go on, I notice more and more people pay attention to the figures, especially the calving. Anything hard calving is hard sold. But that doesn't seem to count in the show results.
    I know what I like. Everyone is different. I've seen bulls sell for over €3k and they could hardly walk. Funny, but all the top breeders always seem to breed the same type of cattle. The Newtown herd (your county neighbours) always seem to breed very stylish and classy animals.
    There's a few hundred judges around the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This is a new fence I put up around a newly dug trench. I think it was Muckit that put up pics of these type of posts years ago - so I won't take the credit.

I put up a similar one about 5 or 6 years ago and has was worked a treat. The ground is low lying corcas type with no subsoil as such, so they can be easily pushed about 500mm into the ground by hand. The high tensile wire is set at 700mm off the ground and the catttle won't go over it. I put a bend near the top in case cattle jump up on them and it also acts like a short handle to push them in. Insulators are screw on types from gallagher. The yellow part is heatshrink to help them stand out if left lying around. Total length of 1/2" rebar is 1300mm. I bent the rebar around the top 2 pins on an old buckrake - 3rd photo.

A bit of work making them but once I had my little production line set up, I flew tru them.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

silver wood mark heifer from simmental
    Fiston heifer from a simmental
    Kf dragoon heifer from simmental

(Anyone any idea why my photos keep appearing upside down ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nice weather for it on an Easter bank holiday Monday.
    6.5 bales/acre.

20190422-165852.jpg

20190422-165934.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It could be because you're holding the phone upside down.
    The photos came up here upside down when I held my phone "upside down".
    For my phone when taking a picture in landscape type (lenghtways) the flash thingy has to be above the camera lens.
    If it's below the lens the phone is upside down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

silver wood mark heifer from simmental
    Fiston heifer from a simmental
    Kf dragoon heifer from simmental

The muscle on the last one... Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Pidae.m wrote: »
    The muscle on the last one... Wow

Ya she's as good a Simmental calf as I've ever had around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Coming from a city slicker, and sorry if I offend, I'll happily admit I haven't a clue, does this little fella look ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

deise08 wrote: »
    Coming from a city slicker, and sorry if I offend, I'll happily admit I haven't a clue, does this little fella look ok?

To put it politely, no, he looks all sorts of wrong. But not ill, sorta like a calf that should have died but didn't so has suffered ill thrive all his life. Legs shouldn't be under him like that unless he's going to lie down.
    Where did you find him??

Navel looks swollen. That and the front legs.....maybe joint ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

To put it politely, no, he looks all sorts of wrong. But not ill, sorta like a calf that should have died but didn't so has suffered ill thrive all his life. Legs shouldn't be under him like that unless he's going to lie down.
    Where did you find him??

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that but hoping I was wrong, he was in an open farm, petting farm, in his own little area.
    Was just stood like that for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that but hoping I was wrong, he was in an open farm, petting farm, in his own little area.
    Was just stood like that for ages.

I'd be reporting him to the owners of that place. He needs to be looked at. Or maybe he's permanently like that, but they could explain that to you. Either way, I wouldn't like to walk away knowing I didn't try find out/do something about it

Last years heifer next to her mother & this years wee blue bull. :)

uHDJf6gh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭148multi

Looks like something genetically wrong, show pic to a livestock vet for opinion, then perhaps speak to owner. Parts of the animal appear under developed while other parts appear over developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What country was this in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Last years heifer next to her mother & this years wee blue bull. :)

uHDJf6gh.jpg

Nice Saler heifer there, off Ulsan?, is she quiet?

tanko wrote: »
    Nice Saler heifer there, off Ulsan?, is she quiet?

Aye off Ulsan. Quiet.....eeeh.....sorta. I can scratch her in the field but she was in heat during the week & she broke through the mains fence & jumped two ditches :pac: I wouldn't mind but she was with the young bull at the time too so it wasn't like she was in search of one!!

Nothing to beat grass, bundle of 2yo heifers for the bull I took off the winterage 3 weeks ago have turned inside out already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Out wintering isn't always easy but I'm still very jealous of such a set up for over wintering sucklers. There's no natural suitable area's locally so the cows are confined to the shed for 5+ months​ annually. The cost and work involved is a real killer on such suckler to weanling systems imo.

That looks to be a nice bull? I'm not a big fan of Limousin bulls in general as they can be light framed but he looks to be a powerful bull.

Out wintering isn't always easy but I'm still very jealous of such a set up for over wintering sucklers. There's no natural suitable area's locally so the cows are confined to the shed for 5+ months​ annually. The cost and work involved is a real killer on such suckler to weanling systems imo.

That looks to be a nice bull? I'm not a big fan of Limousin bulls in general as they can be light framed but he looks to be a powerful bull.

He's ok. He's by hatcliffe dancer off a ferry cow. Very quiet and easy calving but the lim I had before him bred way better stock I think.

He's ok. He's by hatcliffe dancer off a ferry cow. Very quiet and easy calving but the lim I had before him bred way better stock I think.

Limousin bulls can be very hit and miss imo, it's hard to get power and size while retaining ease of calving which is there main advantage over other breeds. He looks to be a big framed powerful bull if possibly a little plain however I'd still prefer that type over a smaller finer boned bull. I'm not that knowledgeable on pedigrees and tend to focus more on type than back breeding. Most of my ground is marginal to average quality so I tend to keep smaller framed cows that are easier maintained, therefore a big powerful bull is needed to put some size and power into the calves.

Limousin bulls can be very hit and miss imo, it's hard to get power and size while retaining ease of calving which is there main advantage over other breeds. He looks to be a big framed powerful bull if possibly a little plain however I'd still prefer that type over a smaller finer boned bull. I'm not that knowledgeable on pedigrees and tend to focus more on type than back breeding. Most of my ground is marginal to average quality so I tend to keep smaller framed cows that are easier maintained, therefore a big powerful bull is needed to put some size and power into the calves.

I'd normally be more inclined towards length and width with a bit of bone over outright muscle when I'd be looking for a bull. Actually thought this fella looked a better bull than the previous one and has better figures aswell but the calves just haven't the same quality. The ones out the last bull were really long, nearly like blondes, big square hips on them, very growthy and the heifers had piles of milk. Wouldn't have been awful muscley types the most of them but were very easy sold.

I'd normally be more inclined towards length and width with a bit of bone over outright muscle when I'd be looking for a bull. Actually thought this fella looked a better bull than the previous one and has better figures aswell but the calves just haven't the same quality. The ones out the last bull were really long, nearly like blondes, big square hips on them, very growthy and the heifers had piles of milk. Wouldn't have been awful muscley types the most of them but were very easy sold.

Yes a big square deep bull is my preference over a smaller​ muscular bull. The introduction of genetic evaluations and other measures has been a help but it's still a gamble with a new bull imo. If you're in a position to bring the resulting calves through to beef then factors such as colour etc aren't as important but if selling as weanlings or stores then you need all traits in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd be reporting him to the owners of that place. He needs to be looked at. Or maybe he's permanently like that, but they could explain that to you. Either way, I wouldn't like to walk away knowing I didn't try find out/do something about it

More like I'd be reporting the gobshite owners of the place.

Probably the kind of eejits that go on about farmers being cruel and think they are "rescuing" their animals

The two TVR bulls. One big, one normal sized.
    I've no notion of where she hid them because she didn't look exceptionally heavy. Lots of feeding for them anyway :)

2CQfIdVl.jpg

uBzu8Pjl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

The two TVR bulls. One big, one normal sized.
    I've no notion of where she hid them because she didn't look exceptionally heavy. Lots of feeding for them anyway :)

2CQfIdVl.jpg

uBzu8Pjl.jpg

Not very milky is she:D
    Carrick show and sale 2020 le cunamh dea.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Not very milky is she:D
    Carrick show and sale 2020 le cunamh dea.

Not enough to feed a cat!:p Ah they'll leave here as weanlings, whether they're haltered or not we'll have to see how they grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Advertisement