Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

High bike wrote: »

No pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

I says wrote: »
    No pic
    can't get the hang of this new phone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

High bike wrote: »
    can't get the hang of this new phone

Pick it up, press the green button, put it to your ear and say "hello"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Muckit wrote: »
    Pick it up, press the green button, put it to your ear and say "hello"! :D
    sure no one rings me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭sonnybill

479540.jpeg
    The teaser is a bit fancy this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

sonnybill wrote: »
    The teaser is a bit fancy this year

Pity snip him!

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Pity snip him!

He was a may calf from last year and he got a bit of a chill before the Nov Mart where sold the last calves and I left him at home, squeezed him as he was getting a bit of grub out with 2 replacement weanling heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Pity snip him!

I don't know. He's the makings of a savage bullock. He'll carry weight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The treacherous pilgrimage to craggy island parochial house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

First one is a phenomenol shot limestone

• Advertisement

Is that your road or a right of way?

Is that your road or a right of way?

Was just giving a friend a hand to bring the cows home from the winterage. No its a private road.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    First one is a phenomenol shot limestone

It is in fairness...cant take credit for it though, I didn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

This is the lady that arrived yesterday...

May 9th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Who knew seaweed put into an ibc tank with water for a while comes out pink?
    Not me anyway.

20190510-150801.jpg

Cheap champagne anyone??

(There was foodstuff in the tank and washed beforehand. In case the answers come back as diesel or petrol in the tank before. ) :p

Flood jets on the sprayer now and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Not me anyway.

20190510-150801.jpg

Cheap champagne anyone??

(There was foodstuff in the tank and washed beforehand. In case the answers come back as diesel or petrol in the tank before. ) :p

How much seaweed Say My Name?

Are you mixing anything with it, or just spreading as is?

How much seaweed Say My Name?

Are you mixing anything with it, or just spreading as is?

Half an ibc full of seaweed. Whatever weight that is? And topped up with water.

In the sprayer then at 10:1. And 100 litres/acre. Nothing else in the sprayer.

You're supposed to leave it really 8 weeks before using. I think it's now 6? But time is against me and I want to get it on silage ground the way I'll have it in the silage. To keep calving easy. ....Is the plan.

I'll use up all the liquid first around the place and then when near empty top up again for another batch in maybe 8 weeks time.

Edit: taking out the filters at the nozzles and putting in the flood nozzles has made it sooo much easier.

I'll just leave this here;

"God made the world and seaweed made that field boy"

Go to 4:20 on this;

Go to 4:20 on

Fierce lot of smoke there.
    Poor Tadhg's eyes were nearly watering. :)

It's probably a banning offence.
    But I'm taking inspiration from a poster from a different forum using seaweed juice in a similar way on their soil. They happen to be ten years ahead of me though and don't use any bag fertilizer. Seemingly their soil carbon has built up off the scale.

Edit: should probably add they use woodchip as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Leave a strip or two of the field out and see if there is much of a difference. Be interesting to do a silage test on a bale of each later and also compare. That would tell you how it's going fairly quickly.

Leave a strip or two of the field out and see if there is much of a difference. Be interesting to do a silage test on a bale of each later and also compare. That would tell you how it's going fairly quickly.

I'm gone beyond leaving strips.. :)

Ah no from using the commercial stuff last year it should increase photosynthesis fairly quickly (green it up) and unlike the commercial products it won't be caustic or pasteurized treated or mixed with molasses to bulk it out. It shouldn't do it any harm anyway.
    If there is to be any complaint it may cause the grass to become too comfortable and not run to seed like untreated grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Seaweed full of iodine I think? Would explain the purple anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Seaweed full of iodine I think? Would explain the purple anyway

Does iodine turn purple in the presence of starch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Not me anyway.

20190510-150801.jpg

Cheap champagne anyone??

Does it make a difference what seaweed you use? I’ve a few students who put it in their dungstead and swear by it.

I wonder what veg that would suit on a veg patch, I saw on river cottage Oz he was making a slurry with cow dung and nettles and using the liquid in place of compost.

Does it make a difference what seaweed you use? I’ve a few students who put it in their dungstead and swear by it.

I wonder what veg that would suit on a veg patch, I saw on river cottage Oz he was making a slurry with cow dung and nettles and using the liquid in place of compost.

I wouldn't have a clue about seaweed.
    I picked it up washed up on a beach. There was kelp, I think bladder rack?, and some other small pinkish weed which may have coloured the water.

It's nice to get feedback on what other people are doing. :)

I may just myself make up an ibc tank with nettles as well to add to the mix.
    I put in a few litres of molasses to the diluted seaweed water in the sprayer today as I felt it needed a bit more...
    You can over do it with molasses too as I found out last year.

I think you'll never really beat the carbon sources of compost for soil though. The liquids will get biology going but for sheer bulk I'd say it's hard beat.

Edit: on the vegetables. I'd say the obvious is potatoes. Carne in Wexford here and jersey queens from the channel islands were grown in soil fertilised in seaweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I wouldn't have a clue about seaweed.
    I picked it up washed up on a beach. There was kelp, I think bladder rack?, and some other small pinkish weed which may have coloured the water.

It's nice to get feedback on what other people are doing. :)

I may just myself make up an ibc tank with nettles as well to add to the mix.
    I put in a few litres of molasses to the diluted seaweed water in the sprayer today as I felt it needed a bit more...
    You can over do it with molasses too as I found out last year.

I think you'll never really beat the carbon sources of compost for soil though. The liquids will get biology going but for sheer bulk I'd say it's hard beat.

Edit: on the vegetables. I'd say the obvious is potatoes. Carne in Wexford here and jersey queens from the channel islands were grown in soil fertilised in seaweed.

Fair play to ya, great to see innovation like that. Also on river cottage Australia, a lad used a lone of bath tubs as wormeries and had plumbed the drain pipes to take the nutrient rich liquid as fertilizer for his pumpkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Grand day for it.☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I knew an elderly man who didn’t have any farmyard animals. He swept up sheep droppings from the local mart into a canvas sack, which he tied at the neck, and placed in a barrel of water. This liquid was poured on the soil, with a watering can, to fertilise his vegetable patch and flowers beds. The results were very impressive.

• Advertisement

Half an ibc full of seaweed. Whatever weight that is? And topped up with water.

In the sprayer then at 10:1. And 100 litres/acre. Nothing else in the sprayer..

Well that wasn't the greatest of successes.
    The mix with a few litres of molasses is fine and growing. But the seaweed only application is gone a bit yellow especially any younger grass.

A bit stronger and I'd have the answer to the round-up ban.

Advertisement