Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Another auctioneer locally is renowned for "super suckler" and letting an odd roar into the mike for added emphasis.

Or anyone who knows Pj, breaks into song on occasion :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

PJ is a fair man to keep the same tempo all day. "Give it again and the middle of the deck" feature frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Or as the auctioneer who sells a lot of pedigree bulls says - which part of the bull isnt worth e50?.
    He'll also 'take a little one off you' when trying to get the last bid and then say ' I didn't say you had a little one'.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    13 and half month old simmental cross bull I bought for €150 as a calf in for finishing at the moment 510kg last week. Should leave me a few quid hopefully. How would he roughly grade? An O+?
    Some grade of an O anyways
    Finishing as a bull or squeezing him?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Twin heifers doing fine just one week on grass. Both will be AI'd at the end of June.
    DSCF3072.jpg

Another heifer for AI soon too.
    DSCF3049.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

golodge wrote: »
    Twin heifers doing fine just one week on grass. Both will be AI'd at the end of June.DSCF3072.jpg

Another heifer for AI soon too.
    DSCF3049.jpg
    They are cracking heifers. What age do you AI them at.

They are grazing beautiful diverse meadows and do you receive top up EU payments in your farm/area?

Base price wrote: »
    They are cracking heifers. What age do you AI them at.

They are grazing beautiful diverse meadows and do you receive top up EU payments in your farm/area?
    Thank you. They are 20months old now. They were too small to calve now and don't want any fall calving, so just kept them a bit longer.

We do get EU payments, for the land and for the sucklers. However, the number of cows, we get payed for, are counted from 10 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Had a fair pull with this lad this evening! In fairness to him though, he was up and sucking by himself within the hour.

EFC5E1FA-DBD9-4257-956E-E4C2C0A08B0F.jpeg

And that’s it for 2019. Last cow calved earlier tonight. She calved a small little heifer outside but I decided to bring them in with the way the weather is. After I got them in I was pottering about and noticed the cow pushing again. To cut a long story short I decided to handle her before I left and sure enough there was a second but the right leg was tucked down so she was never gonna get him out. Got the leg up and was able to pull him out with no trouble. Grand little bull calf. Took a while for him to stand but eventually got him up and sucking. Good end to calving 2019 ! ��211FDCA5-9853-4EC3-9A27-F6F2251843C5.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Parishlad wrote: »
    And that’s it for 2019. Last cow calved earlier tonight. She calved a small little heifer outside but I decided to bring them in with the way the weather is. After I got them in I was pottering about and noticed the cow pushing again. To cut a long story short I decided to handle her before I left and sure enough there was a second but the right leg was tucked down so she was never gonna get him out. Got the leg up and was able to pull him out with new trouble. Grand little bull calf. Took a while for him to stand but eventually got him up and sucking. Good end to calving 2019 ! 😀211FDCA5-9853-4EC3-9A27-F6F2251843C5.jpeg

Good few twins around here too this year
    All mixed sadly

• Advertisement

Good few twins around here too this year
    All mixed sadly

I had another set a couple of weeks ago too but unfortunately both were born dead. They weren't presented correctly so the cow showed no signs of calving until it was too late. I was gutted tbh but that's the joys of it I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Parishlad wrote: »
    I had another set a couple of weeks ago too but unfortunately both were born dead. They weren't presented correctly so the cow showed no signs of calving until it was too late. I was gutted tbh but that's the joys of it I suppose!

Don't beat yourself up about it. We'd have lost 2 sets this year only for we have a small herd & know the cows so well so knew they were sick to calve.
    Shocking amount of them this year!

We'd no twins this year, yet. Usually have at least one set. Was pretty sure that one cow will have twins, as she was very big and had two sets from three calvings, but she only had a fair size bull calf this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,610 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's another bit of fencing done by Smn enterprise's. 400 metres done.

Almost nationwide.

20190601-150223.jpg

20190601-163645.jpg

20190601-163728.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

That's another bit of fencing done by Smn enterprise's. 400 metres done.

Almost nationwide.

[]

You don’t have sheep do you Say? Why use sheep wire - it’s expensive enough stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Grueller

You don’t have sheep do you Say? Why use sheep wire - it’s expensive enough stuff...

Maybe the neighbours do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Maybe he's thinking of upgrading to become a shepard :D

The neighbours have sheep. Plus it keeps out or in other animals.
    Piece of mind. And making the boundaries trouble and maintenance free.
    I won't have to worry about a power cut or price increase of grazon or round up now.

The neighbours have sheep. Plus it keeps out or in other animals.
    Piece of mind. And making the boundaries trouble and maintenance free.
    I won't have to worry about a power cut or price increase of grazon or round up now.
    IMO using sheep wire doesn't make the boundaries trouble and maintenance free, in fact it has the opposite effect - every briar, thistle, dock etc will do their upmost to pull it down as well as cattle/calves shoving their noses under it to reach the really tasty bits on the ditch. Unless you run a couple of strands of electric fence (standing off the sheep wire fence) then your going to end up with the posts broken and the sheep wire rolled up into a tangled knot.

IMO using sheep wire doesn't make the boundaries trouble and maintenance free, in fact it has the opposite effect - every briar, thistle, dock etc will do their upmost to pull it down as well as cattle/calves shoving their noses under it to reach the really tasty bits on the ditch. Unless you run a couple of strands of electric fence standing off the sheep wire fence then your going to end up with the posts broken and the sheep wire rolled up into a untangled knot.

You won't stretch this wire anymore or break any of these posts. I can guarantee you.
    I've a similar fence up the last three years and it's perfect.
    Then again I've dairy stock and not elephants. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

IMO using sheep wire doesn't make the boundaries trouble and maintenance free, in fact it has the opposite effect - every briar, thistle, dock etc will do their upmost to pull it down as well as cattle/calves shoving their noses under it to reach the really tasty bits on the ditch. Unless you run a couple of strands of electric fence standing off the sheep wire fence then your going to end up with the posts broken and the sheep wire rolled up into a untangled knot.

You won't stretch this wire anymore or break any of these posts. I can guarantee you.
    Then again I've dairy stock and not elephants. :pac:

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to fencing of any type and like to see it well done be it a temporary or permanent fence. Sheep wire needs to be adequately strained from the beginning and this is where lads often make the first mistake imo. Secondly I find that placing a strand of barbed wire alongside the top of the sheep wire and alongside the second horizontal row from the ground greatly strengthens the sheep wire. If a bit of tying wire is used to join the barbed and sheep wire together the end result is a sturdy barrier that will withstand plenty of abuse.

Then again I've dairy stockand not elephants. :pac:
    What do you mean. I rear/feed dairy stock and although your fence looks pretty it wouldn't last a grazing season on my farm.

What do you mean. I rear/feed dairy stock and although your fence looks pretty it wouldn't last a grazing season on my farm.

This is how you tighten sheep wire Base.

20160414-150115.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Don’t think you are meant to put the staples in that far, should be room for the wire to move iykwim

Don’t think you are meant to put the staples in that far, should be room for the wire to move iykwim

Nooo. By having each staple buried in every post.
    Even in the unfortunate event that a section gets stretched after. All the other sections between posts stay taught.

Stretch the bollocks off it putting it up and then drive em home!

20160414-150115.jpg
    Ahh, stop the lights.
    So you have just discovered an innovative method for straining sheep wire :eek:

I helped my late Uncle fence the farm in the 90's using a simular system and at the end of the day a calf could push their nose under the fence.
    ** If you have cows/cattle then you need to have one or two strands of live wire offset from sheep fence.

Ahh, stop the lights.
    So you have just discovered an innovative method for straining sheep wire :eek:

I helped my late Uncle fence the farm in the 90's using a simular system and at the end of the day a calf could push their nose under the fence.
    Did you use a chain puller to tighten the wire?

(I'm starting to see why Reggie got fed up posting on here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

IMO using sheep wire doesn't make the boundaries trouble and maintenance free, in fact it has the opposite effect - every briar, thistle, dock etc will do their upmost to pull it down as well as cattle/calves shoving their noses under it to reach the really tasty bits on the ditch. Unless you run a couple of strands of electric fence (standing off the sheep wire fence) then your going to end up with the posts broken and the sheep wire rolled up into a tangled knot.

This: neigbour put up sheep wire about 6 years ago. No electric on his side. Stock breaking through on bank and destroying planted trees and bushes at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Nooo. By having each staple buried in every post.
    Even in the unfortunate event that a section gets stretched after. All the other sections between posts stay taught.

Stretch the bollocks off it putting it up and then drive em home!

If it gets stretched , take out the end staples stretch it again and put them back in? Nice fully taunt fence again,

• Advertisement

Oh great. More experts.

That's me finished posting pictures.
    Sitting on the other side of the fence and criticising every one else's pictures is going to be more fun.

Seriously though why the phuck did any of ye think I posted up the pictures of the fencing and then the pullers?

I posted the fencing because I was proud of a job well done. And the pullers so that other posters may benefit from it, if they hadn't used it before.
    Jaysus..

Edit: that's not directed at you charolais btw. That's helpful constructive criticism.

Advertisement