Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Oh great. More experts.

That's me finished posting pictures.
    Sitting on the other side of the fence and criticising every one else's pictures is going to be more fun.

Seriously though why the phuck did any of ye think I posted up the pictures of the fencing and then the pullers?

I posted the fencing because I was proud of a job well done. And the pullers so that other posters may benefit from it, if they hadn't used it before.
    Jaysus..

Edit: that's not directed at you charolais btw. That's helpful constructive criticism.

Looks a fine job to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,610 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Looks a fine job to me.

Ah it is.

I must post up a picture tomorrow of the grass growth where the cows were fed with round feeders during the drought last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Looks a fine job to me too Say... looks a good strain on it, and good posts too...
    You could get sheep now too anytime you wanted to, if you wanted to endear yourself further to the neighbours ;)

Albert - Putting barbed wire ‘over’ the sheep wire at the bottom as you describe seems a bit mad to me.

Been a long while since we had cattle, but our bounds would have always been fenced similar to Say (well, only prob done worse, not much emphasis on straining wire) ;)
    But we never had any major issues with cattle breaking out. Maybe two strands of barbed on top of we wanted to push the boat out :):):)

Lovely job fencing from Lorna Sixsmith here on Twitter. Two strands barb.

https://twitter.com/LornaESixsmith/status/1135096380169568256?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Oh great. More experts.

That's me finished posting pictures.
    Sitting on the other side of the fence and criticising every one else's pictures is going to be more fun.

Seriously though why the phuck did any of ye think I posted up the pictures of the fencing and then the pullers?

I posted the fencing because I was proud of a job well done. And the pullers so that other posters may benefit from it, if they hadn't used it before.
    Jaysus..

Edit: that's not directed at you charolais btw. That's helpful constructive criticism.
    It is a fine job but all I suggested is that offset an electric fence wire or two to stop cattle pushing under it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Are those the imported posts smn ? Looks a good job.

Base price wrote: »
    It is a fine job but all I suggested is that offset an electric fence wire or two to stop cattle pushing under it.

As I posted earlier I've the same job up 3 years already elsewhere on the farm with none of the issues you post of.
    I know you mean well but I don't think you really quite grasp how tight the wire on the fencing is.
    I had a tractor drive into a section of that previous job with contractors wrapping and he never made a dent in the wire.

Are those the imported posts smn ? Looks a good job.

Imported from Poland or Latvia or somesorts.

The effects of lasts summer's drought are still visible.

Area where cows were fed with two ring feeders.

20190602-173029.jpg

Now that's what carbon in soil can do..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

20190602-173029.jpg

Not cow ****?

• Advertisement

Not cow ****?

Humus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Hi, the orange calf in these photos is meant to be off Curaheen Earp (Simmental AI bull), she is a lovely hairy orange heifer with a lot of white under her belly, she is off the red cow lying down beside her. Very quite and if she is from the Simmental bull I would like to keep her for a cow. But I have my suspicion she could be off a neighbors CF52 Charolais Stock bull, the 1 lying down in the back ground is also off him. (she is a grand cow, produces a good calf, but a bit ignorant and I see she is starting to get pock on her udder).
    So with the quite temperament, hairy orange and white hair I am thinking she is Simmental, but the lack of any white on her face is making me think she could be off the Charolais, the Fu€kr was in 2 day after the cow was on heat and I cant see anything else that looks like him and I doubt he just dropped in for a chat.(his owner would and you would nearly need to say a mass to get rid of him)
    If I was any sure she is a Simmental I would hope to keep her for a cow but if I though she was Charolais I would start pushing her on a bit on meal and sell her at the back end as a weanling. I am thinking if she was off the Charolais then she her hair would be finer, any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

You could call the ICBF and request a sire verification test. It cost about 22 euro per animal last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Humus.

Lovely on a bit of brown bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

20190602-173029.jpg

Not hard to guess where they were here also. Westerwolds really does appreciate the extra nutrients.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I could well be wrong Anto but I'm thinking she's sired by the CH. The lack of any major white marking's apart from the belly and the shape of her head all signal CH breeding to me. I'd be expecting a star or white face and other white markings from SI on that sort of cow. Perhaps a genetic test if affordable would remove any doubt but I'd be betting on a CH sire.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Curaheen dickens bull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Grueller

Curaheen dickens bull

Big boy to still have Mammy washing his face

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Grueller wrote: »
    Big boy to still have Mammy washing his face

Ah sure we’re all slow enough to come of the tit here in the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Curaheen dickens bull

Fine animal.

• Advertisement

Had this bullock born last July left over from last year. Was a right runt all the winter and never thought he'd amount to anything but has done a great thrive since last March when I let him off to grass.

2yo Hereford heifer out of a lim x sim cow. Pure pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

2yo Hereford heifer out of a lim x sim cow. Pure pet.
    I presume you will keep her as a replacement. She is a lovely heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

Ceq

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

valtra2 wrote: »
    Ceq

Great bull
    Can he be got anymore?

How do you upload pic on this new site. No place to add attachments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I still use Imgur or embed Twitter pics, though think the Twitter ones can be prone to disappearing after a while.

TVR twins doing well for themselves at about 6 weeks now!

R7lUdexl.jpg
    iErIuFAl.jpg

And sooooooo wild :pac:

EHSmE7el.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

valtra2 wrote: »
    How do you upload pic on this new site. No place to add attachments

Are you on the responsive site, the blue and green yoke? There should b a paperclip icon there under the reply box if that's how you usually upload photos?

There's an option at the bottom of the page to go to the legacy site and when you're on that, you again have an option to go to the touch site somewhere at the bottom of the page if you're used to that on mobile.

I'd take a screen shot to show you but I was stuck on the responsive site for a few days and I'm not going back in there ever, ever, ever again:mad:

That's where I am and I can't get out.

• Advertisement

Press legency and nothing happens. No paperclip icon. Just changed few days ago.

Advertisement