Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Glad to have this girl calved. As you can see she was gone very fleshy, despite having her in a bare field the last few weeeks. Bit of a surprise this morning when I found her calved. Checked her last night and no sign of the pins being down. Bavardage bull calf. Really wanted a heifer as she lacks a bit of milk.
    So easy calf them outdoors. Cow is lovely and quiet, so no bother help the calf to stand up and latch him on to drink.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That the CWI cow?
    Lovely pair, such length to the cow.

That the CWI cow?
    Lovely pair, such length to the cow.

No, by Sympa. Bought her as a yearling at a society sale. She was even more muscley back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Glad to have this girl calved. As you can see she was gone very fleshy, despite having her in a bare field the last few weeeks. Bit of a surprise this morning when I found her calved. Checked her last night and no sign of the pins being down. Bavardage bull calf. Really wanted a heifer as she lacks a bit of milk.
    So easy calf them outdoors. Cow is lovely and quiet, so no bother help the calf to stand up and latch him on to drink.
    Lovely pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Great to have quiet cows like that! It makes calving outside so much easier. I think I have quiet cows but I doubt they would be quiet enough to stand in a field while I tried to get a calf to suck. Fine animals too by the way!

• Advertisement

Parishlad wrote: »
    Great to have quiet cows like that! It makes calving outside so much easier. I think I have quiet cows but I doubt they would be quiet enough to stand in a field while I tried to get a calf to suck. Fine animals too by the way!

Oh, I've had lunatics here too, believe me. Even when I lift the calf, I never take my eye off the cow and always stay the far side of the calf from the cow, ready to dart away if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Glad to have this girl calved.

Some cow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Some outfit Patsy. That could be a 5k premier bull with that cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

No, by Sympa. Bought her as a yearling at a society sale. She was even more muscley back then.

What kind of money would a yearling heifer similiar to that cost, hyporhetically speaking???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

You've shurly the cleanest left hand on boards patsy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Pidae.m wrote: »
    :D:D

Pidae.m wrote: »

Working with a guy one day and he said I had the cleanest hands he ever seen on a farmer. Told him we had this great stuff at home called soap. :D

tanko wrote: »
    What kind of money would a yearling heifer similiar to that cost, hyporhetically speaking???

She was one of the cheaper heifers on the day I bought her. She's got about 10 generations of AI breeding behind her. Goes way back to a Thomastown cow. I had my research done before I bought her. Price, around the €2.5k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Now that is a lovely pair. Great power to that cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Posers :P

yJT12mRh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bringing the last few straglers in for milking.

20190705-173442.jpg
    (Apologies for pic quality).

A bit of food for cows and soil there. As well as some soil armour. No fert spread in last round on that field and should need none in this round. Maybe dirty water from collecting yard.

Cow's averaging 26 litres on 4kg meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,626 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bringing the last few straglers in for milking.

20190705-173442.jpg
    (Apologies for pic quality).

A bit of food for cows and soil there. As well as some soil armour. No fert spread in last round on that field and should need none in this round. Maybe dirty water from collecting yard.

Cow's averaging 26 litres on 4kg meal.

What cover was on that when cows went into it?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What cover was on that when cows went into it?

High.

Don't measure. Just all by eye.
    High. Medium and none.

A guess. 2400?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,626 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

High.

Don't measure. Just all by eye.
    High. Medium and none.

A guess. 2400?

Will they clean it out fully or will you top?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will they clean it out fully or will you top?

No they won't clean it out fully and no topper will be used either.
    I want to try and leave a bit of cover on the soil in case we get a drought.
    I've a feeling they'll have no trouble cleaning it out themselves the next round if I want them to.

• Advertisement

I think I posted a pic of these 2 before. 2 yearling bullocks that were left over from last year. Were born late and weaned at 3 and a half months old and looked awful all the winter. Can't get over the thrive they have done all the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

My type of stock. Buy them shook and let time and quality grass bring them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

First batch for the factory later in the week hopefully. Humble stock compared to LC !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Nothing wrong with them, a fine bunch of cattle.
    What's the average age of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

And have they much meal in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    First batch for the factory later in the week hopefully. Humble stock compared to LC !!

I'd gladly swap for a few whiteheads this evening. Spent 4 hours trying to round up my year and a half heifers and the neighbours bullocks. Another neighbours bull called and bulled one of them today aswell. There's a lot to be said for quiet stock :(

28- 29 months. First heading over 30months second week of August.

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    And have they much meal in them?

Getting 3kg for the last 3 and a half weeks. Have done very well in the last 6/7 weeks like all stock I suppose

Advertisement