Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Figerty

I don't think I've got the hang of this Zero Grazing crack...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Figerty wrote: »
    I don't think I've got the hang of this Zero Grazing crack...

I hope you've no dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Figerty

I hope you've no dogs.

Have dogs with years, been feeding long lawn grass with years.. obviously the dog don't do their stuff there.
    Never a problem with the cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Ya there was a big difference in fairness. Had to pull nearly all of the bull calves and had to section one that was coming backwards and upside down. Would probably have managed him if he was coming right. Had to put a head rope on a good few of them aswell. They weren't easy calved anyway but would come at the same time if you could get them straightened up. Great calves to get up and suck though even after a tough pull which really surprised me. Didn't have to put one of the sucking. Its hard to find a balance really. If you want the quality and weight gain I think a lot of them are going to need assistance. Have some nice calves off the lim bull and no problem calving but they are way behind the charolais calves that are the same age.

Fair play to you, fantastic stock. With the way the beef game is gone, every calf needs to be a good one. Hopefully they make big bucks.
    But having to pull nearly every bull calf sounds like torture to me, seeing the results now makes it seem worthwhile now but it can't have been much fun at calving time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    Fair play to you, fantastic stock. With the way the beef game is gone, every calf needs to be a good one. Hopefully they make big bucks.
    But having to pull nearly every bull calf sounds like torture to me, seeing the results now makes it seem worthwhile now but it can't have been much fun at calving time.

It's a balls really. My facility's aren't great either like. Used to calve nearly all of them outside to the lim bulls so it's awkward enough trying to get them in before you start trying to help at all. A lot of my cows wouldn't be massive either which might be another reason. A few mature cows with the pick of those bull calfs were only around 600kg when I weighed them a few weeks ago. They got no hardship on the winterage last year either and I might have them fed a bit too much aswell looking back on it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's a balls really. My facility's aren't great either like. Used to calve nearly all of them outside to the lim bulls so it's awkward enough trying to get them in before you start trying to help at all. A lot of my cows wouldn't be massive either which might be another reason. A few mature cows with the pick of those bull calfs were only around 600kg when I weighed them a few weeks ago. They got no hardship on the winterage last year either and I might have them fed a bit too much aswell looking back on it now.

That's what came to mind when I read it first. The fact that you could pull them all without getting caught would suggest that cows and calves were a little fleshy. Next year might go a lot easier.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

That's what came to mind when I read it first. The fact that you could pull them all without getting caught would suggest that cows and calves were a little fleshy. Next year might go a lot easier.

Time will tell. They were fit enough and outside walking all the winter. They didn't seem that fleshy either. Big head and shoulders on them, once the head came there was no bother with them. Any trouble I ever had with the lims was always at the hips.

Breakfast is served.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Breakfast is served.

Smashers there Patsy. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭50HX

Figerty wrote: »
    Have dogs with years, been feeding long lawn grass with years.. obviously the dog don't do their stuff there.
    Never a problem with the cattle.

Just a bit of advice regarding this. ...I used to throw lawn cuttings to cattle as well

Ended up with neospora a few years back and had to Cull 4 smashing cows

Dogs& foxes are the transmitters through their faeces

Can never be sure the dog doesn't do something in the lawn

Would I get a job as a Floral Arranger?:rolleyes:
    Serious infestation in one corner of the field near the road. Hopper of spreader ideal for collecting them. Some of them were shoulder high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Dandelions growing on headlands, showing their unloved hearts to everyone. (Patrick Kavanagh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Would I get a job as a Floral Arranger?:rolleyes:
    Serious infestation in one corner of the field near the road. Hopper of spreader ideal for collecting them. Some of them were shoulder high.

She'll be delighted when you bring home a bouquet of flowers that size to her:D

Not so happy when you bring them out to burn them after:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

It’s the only thing that works with it , it has to be pulled

Picked up the dark red yearling saler lady in the Mart a few weeks ago. 360kg, 840. Checked her on Icbf the other day and shes by zla out of an eby cow. Didn't think her too dear.

Picked up the dark red yearling saler lady in the Mart a few weeks ago. 360kg, 840. Checked her on Icbf the other day and shes by zla out of an eby cow. Didn't think her too dear.

Should make a good cow. Pity the last guy couln't use a tagger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Cracking heifer for the bull

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

Should make a good cow. Pity the last guy couln't use a tagger.

Thought I was the only one who was anal about tagging ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Thought I was the only one who was anal about tagging ha

Same with the sheep, when they're tagging for sale they don't give a shi..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

Tags that are backwards on a calf is my pet hate

I always turn one backwards that way it's easier to read it from behind an animal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

High bike wrote: »
    I always turn one backwards that way it's easier to read it from behind an animal

That's something I hadn't considered but I find there more prone to loosing tags when the button is on the outside as opposed to the inside of the ear. From the perspective of reading cattle in the mart I think since they moved the check digit down onto the larger font bottom line it's easier to read the tags especially in bundles of stock with similar numbers. I'd always try and tag with the button on the inside and the tag in as close to the head as possible so as to go through the thickest part of the ear.

That's something I hadn't considered but I find there more prone to loosing tags when the button is on the outside as opposed to the inside of the ear. From the perspective of reading cattle in the mart I think since they moved the check digit down onto the larger font bottom line it's easier to read the tags especially in bundles of stock with similar numbers. I'd always try and tag with the button on the inside and the tag in as close to the head as possible so as to go through the thickest part of the ear.
    yes your right but in the field some breeds can have very hairy ears in front and next to impossible to read even the large no's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

[quote=High bike;110847067[/QUOTE]yes your right but in the field some breeds can have very hairy ears in front and next to impossible to read even the large no's[/quote]

I agree about the hairy ear's and I find the same problem with dirty tags during the winter and spring time. Once cattle get a few weeks on grass the tags tend to clean off and are much easier to read. The font on the back of the tag is very small and is hard to read up close never mind in the field, especially on wilder stock.

Anyone remember the old brass tags. Lads reading them used to be spitting on their thumbs and rubbing the tags to try and read them. Job a lot easier now, that's for sure.

Anyone remember the old brass tags. Lads reading them used to be spitting on their thumbs and rubbing the tags to try and read them. Job a lot easier now, that's for sure.
    unfortunately I do Patsy and more often than not caked in sh1t:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Nice heifer, neither of those two bulls would be the biggest, will be interesting to see if she grows and stretches out a bit as she gets older.
    When you think what it costs to keep a cow for a year and feed the heifer over the winter and spring, the farmer selling has lost money but that just the way it is i suppose.

tanko wrote: »
    Nice heifer, neither of those two bulls would be the biggest, will be interesting to see if she grows and stretches out a bit as she gets older.
    When you think what it costs to keep a cow for a year and feed the heifer over the winter and spring, the farmer selling has lost money but that just the way it is i suppose.

Ya but that's the way the trade is at the moment sure, I have a few to go myself and I will have nothing out of them. She'll grow enough I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭50HX

Yeah use to be some craic the day of the herd test:D

Fairly choice language in our yard that day esp when we had the madder limo's

Advertisement