Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anyone remember the old brass tags. Lads reading them used to be spitting on their thumbs and rubbing the tags to try and read them. Job a lot easier now, that's for sure.

I can go back a bit further :rolleyes: the silver type tag , with the cows tied in the stalls for winter and half the figures rubbed off from the wall ,

cards were all handwritten and often a digit was changed to suit the tag :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

orm0nd wrote: »
    I can go back a bit further :rolleyes: the silver type tag , with the cows tied in the stalls for winter and half the figures rubbed off from the wall , cards were all handwritten and often a digit was changed to suit the tag :D

I often heard of those goings on, if the card didn't suit the beast then a quick rub in the dirt and the issue was resolved. If anything we're probably too far in the opposite direction now, no room for any manipulation of the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone remember the old brass tags. Lads reading them used to be spitting on their thumbs and rubbing the tags to try and read them. Job a lot easier now, that's for sure.

I hear what you are saying. Great for picking out cattle in the field on a summers day. But the yellow tags can still get blackened with crap and hard to read when cattle few months in a shed. Vet nearly needed a nailbrush at some last March!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If like me you do a small bit of DIY hoof trimming and would like to learn a from an expert, this is a good one.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Not to be viewed during meals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Not to be viewed during meals.

That is the worst I've seen but think of the relief the cow got after it was drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Figerty

Base price wrote: »
    That is the worst I've seen but think of the relief the cow got after it was drained.

That is mad. I remember a cow getting a bone infection just above the hoof. If flared quickly and the vet dealt with it. He said she was in severe pain and the weight would fall off her as a result. It did.
    That cyst was incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Base price wrote: »

We discovered Dr Pimple Popper on TLC on Sky a few weeks back. It's a bit like that video but with humans. And strangely fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

We discovered Dr Pimple Popper on TLC on Sky a few weeks back. It's a bit like that video but with humans. And strangely fascinating.
    Ah here, don’t talk to me about Dr Pimple Popper. My wife discovered it recently. Sweet Jesus is all I can say. I ran out of the room anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Parishlad wrote: »
    Ah here, don’t talk to me about Dr Pimple Popper. My wife discovered it recently. Sweet Jesus is all I can say. I ran out of the room anyway!

She's very popular here. Nobody wants to watch her but nobody leaves when she's on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

She's very popular here. Nobody wants to watch her but nobody leaves when she's on:D

"I'm not hurting you right" Think I'm addicted to dr pimple popper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Section calf 7 weeks old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

LC could you please keep posting pictures, on a daily basis if possible, to help boost morale?
    Regards and thanks, signed every beef farmer in the country!!

Muckit wrote: »
    LC could you please keep posting pictures, on a daily basis if possible, to help boost morale?

I ended up in elphin Mart on Monday evening, some of the best cattle I have ever seen up there but it wouldn't do much for morale unfortunately. 400kg ch bulls making little along with €2/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I ended up in elphin Mart on Monday evening, some of the best cattle I have ever seen up there but it wouldn't do much for morale unfortunately. 400kg ch bulls making little along with €2/kg.

300 or 400 back on last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Were lighter ones around 300kgs any better?

tanko wrote: »
    Were lighter ones around 300kgs any better?

Seen 330kg yellow ch struggle to make 700. Wasn't that many lighter ones in it.

300 or 400 back on last year?

I was never there before but would have thought most of the 400kg ones would have made 1k+ down here last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I hope someone welcomed you to our country Limestone. There's some serious suckler men around Elphin, probably some of the best in the country. That would have been a special sale so there'd be extra buyers in attendance from all over. Having said that the trend has been going against heavy weanlings in recent years and it seems to me the light the dearer when it comes to calves. There'd be some serious farmer customers around there for hairy CHx type calves circa 280-330kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was never there before but would have thought most of the 400kg ones would have made 1k+ down here last year.

winter finishers can't go `back in at last years prices, no point in comparing

• Advertisement

I hope someone welcomed you to our country Limestone. There's some serious suckler men around Elphin, probably some of the best in the country. That would have been a special sale so there'd be extra buyers in attendance from all over. Having said that the trend has been going against heavy weanlings in recent years and it seems to me the light the dearer when it comes to calves. There'd be some serious farmer customers around there for hairy CHx type calves circa 280-330kg.

I'd know a few lads up that side from ag college alright and I bought a few bulls off a fella privately up there. There wasn't a bad calf in it in fairness. The heifers seemed a better trade than the bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The old zetor found the Mc Hale bales tough going. King pin sheared.

20silkcut wrote: »
    The old zetor found the Mc Hale bales tough going. King pin sheared.

We call that part the half axle. Have a look at the surface where it sheared and you'll probably see where it was cracked tru all along. (The last bit to go will have a different brighter colour.) Fatique failure, no doubt. Happened here on our old David Brown. It could be cracking for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

We call that part the half axle. Have a look at the surface where it sheared and you'll probably see where it was cracked tru all along. (The last bit to go will have a different brighter colour.) Fatique failure, no doubt. Happened here on our old David Brown. It could be cracking for years.

Meant to post in machinery photo thread.
    Yes that’s exactly the way the surface was where it sheared just a crescent of silver at the edge the rest was cracked through for a long time it is clear.
    Lucky it didn’t happen when I was flying down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

20silkcut wrote: »
    Meant to post in machinery photo thread.
    Yes that’s exactly the way the surface was where it sheared just a crescent of silver at the edge the rest was cracked through for a long time it is clear.
    Lucky it didn’t happen when I was flying down the road.

Did you have any weight in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Ludwig bull calf. Few hours old. Cow has bloody watery beestings. Milked it out of her and fed calf frozen beestings. Does not seem to be mastitus... Will it come to milk?

Another pic. Fine calf ... not sure if cow will rear him now though

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

adne wrote: »
    Ludwig bull calf. Few hours old. Cow has bloody watery beestings. Milked it out of her and fed calf frozen beestings. Does not seem to be mastitus... Will it come to milk?

Has she a lot of milk? I had a cow before with blood in her milk and it was just because she had so much that some of the vessels were popping. Can’t remember it being watery though!

Parishlad wrote: »
    Has she a lot of milk? I had a cow before with blood in her milk and it was just because she had so much that some of the vessels were popping. Can’t remember it being watery though!

Ya she a good milker. She a SIM x lm. When I say watery it was not thick like beestings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Grueller

adne wrote: »
    Ya she a good milker. She a SIM x lm. When I say watery it was not thick like beestings

Anything else sucking her?

Advertisement