Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

tanko wrote: »
    What bull is the calf off. Is it's mother ok?

WTB, yep, mother is just not very motherly and is off down the field eating! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

WTB is 12% CD:eek:, it's no wonder she's keeping away from you now:D

tanko wrote: »
    WTB is 12% CD:eek:, it's no wonder she's keeping away from you now:D

Shush....shush. It's out now and all is ok :p
    She's not that big a calf, the heifer would definitely have been able to calve herself if it wasn't coming backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Kovu wrote: »
    18 month old heifer is happy out babbysitting.
    qI5kd5ll.jpg

Whats tied up on the heifers head ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

Horns just cut off I'd say its to stop the bleeding.
    My oulfella used to do this aswell

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »

As naughto said, she was skulled on Thursday and tied up tight before they were cut to restrict any bloodflow to the horns.

I'll snip it off her in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I thought it could have been a miraculous medal for expectant mothers... . Seems to have done the trick anyways given her age and that fine calf!! :D

Muckit wrote: »
    I thought it could have been a miraculous medal for expectant mothers... . Seems to have done the trick anyways given her age and that fine calf!! :D

Ha! Not her calf, she's just very motherly to it. The real mother is quite a bit larger :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

• Advertisement

As naughto said, she was skulled on Thursday and tied up tight before they were cut to restrict any bloodflow to the horns.

I'll snip it off her in a couple of days.

Its a clean job , very neat . I would cut off the strings sooner rather than later though . They start growing into the head very quick . 24hrs is the max I leave them on for here but I use elastic so maybe that's worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Its a clean job , very neat . I would cut off the strings sooner rather than later though . They start growing into the head very quick . 24hrs is the max I leave them on for here but I use elastic so maybe that's worse

Local vet reckon s it can lead to blood infections

adne wrote: »
    Local vet reckon s it can lead to blood infections

The elastic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

leg wax wrote: »
    is that your first 1, looks like hes going to be a tank.

I use a lot of part now. Ya I'd say he ll do the business alright. Her last years calf made over 1100 in August. He is my first CBQ, I remember you saying last year you got good results off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

18 month old heifer is happy out babbysitting.
    qI5kd5ll.jpg

What's that on her head Kovu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

The elastic ?

No the twine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

A couple of heifers I'm going to put in calf ones a pb apz heifer the others a limo of a roan cow I had for years. Any suggestions to breed replacements?

Dawggone wrote: »
    What's that on her head Kovu?

Maybe it's a west Ire thing :confused:

String is tied around the horns before being skulled. Stops the blood spurting & lessens loss after as it restricts the flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

String is tied around the horns before being skulled. Stops the blood spurting & lessens loss after as it restricts the flow.

I do that job a little earlier in life. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Dawggone wrote: »
    I do that job a little earlier in life. Thanks.

Mother was a pblm and always had late developers, normally debudded here at 2 weeks. Hate skullng them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We use cut up tubes from car tyres - same principle.
    However we remove them the next day as they have a tendency of cutting into the skin due to their elasticity.

Base price wrote: »
    We use cut up tubes from car tyres - same principle.
    However we remove them the next day as they have a tendency of cutting into the skin due to their elasticity.

I knew a young lad that used be sent into a builders suppliers to rob the rubber seals out of sewer pipes for the job aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Miname wrote: »
    A couple of heifers I'm going to put in calf ones a pb apz heifer the others a limo of a roan cow I had for years. Any suggestions to breed replacements?

Lovely heifers Miname. Are you going to go pb with the APZ heifer? If not a lim off her could be v good. HCA maybe.

I have a heifer very similar to the roan one calving to ZLL in feb. AI man told me he's breeding lovely calves but someone on here said he's not great. His maternal figures look unreal. AA isn't everyone's cup of tea but I had two red Angus calves off ch heifers this year and they are great calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Lovely heifers Miname. Are you going to go pb with the APZ heifer? If not a lim off her could be v good. HCA maybe.

I have a heifer very similar to the roan one calving to ZLL in feb. AI man told me he's breeding lovely calves but someone on here said he's not great. His maternal figures look unreal. AA isn't everyone's cup of tea but I had two red Angus calves off ch heifers this year and they are great calves
    cheers
    i was contemplating curaheen vio on the pb and lisncran sunny boy on the roan. theres another sim im thinking of creaga dice. nothings set in stone yet. ive a lot of limo breeding through most of my cows and other replacements already so not really pushed on heading more into limo. angus is definately a no.no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Miname wrote: »
    cheers
    i was contemplating curaheen vio on the pb and lisncran sunny boy on the roan. theres another sim im thinking of creaga dice. nothings set in stone yet. ive a lot of limo breeding through most of my cows and other replacements already so not really pushed on heading more into limo. angus is definately a no.no.

Creaga dice is a shorthorn and isn't available any more I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I knew a young lad that used be sent into a builders suppliers to rob the rubber seals out of sewer pipes for the job aswell

Wasn't yourself by any chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

1st of December and still able to do the herding from the jeep, unthinkable in a normal year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

1st of December and still able to do the herding from the jeep, unthinkable in a normal year!

Its great to get it

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wasn't yourself by any chance :D

Never

Advertisement