Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

MfMan wrote: »
    Ya, I'd be happier with a foot higher also. How deep were your footings? Is the steel absolutely necessary - a man I asked said hardly, there wouldn't be that much pressure from cattle, but again, I think I'd nearly be happier with it. Also, are you to put a ledge/platform where the crush uprights are?

A long (long) time thinking of getting round to do the same..

Footings are 8"x24". I wouldn't pour a wall for anything without putting in steel, it's tying the whole thing together, it's fairly cheap aswell. I was only in a friend's shed a week ago and he was showing me a wall at the end of the passage that had split completely the width of your finger from top to bottom because there was no steel in it. We weren't asked to put a step in it, I put a 6" step in the last 2 I did for myself. Some fellas don't like them incase something goes on its back in the race though. Normally just put a tek screw through the horizontal bars to stop them sliding incase they need to be taken down quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The 'L' shape in the wall gives it great strength too.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There was an old man in his nineties died a few years ago here, would have been a very big cattle man in his time, still kept a few as a hobby till he died but the lorry man was telling me he had a diabolical cattle crush & every year he'd tell the lorry man "next year now ill do a right job on this crush"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Let the SOY chunk out a couple of days ago when he learned how to suck by himself. Tis no wonder I was a bit stuck at the shoulders!

SyADQ8tl.jpg

gLjXGX0l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Let the SOY chunk out a couple of days ago when he learned how to suck by himself. Tis no wonder I was a bit stuck at the shoulders!

SyADQ8tl.jpg

gLjXGX0l.jpg
    He’s a fine calf
    If you look after him he might get you a rosette in October

• Advertisement

He’s a fine calf
    If you look after him he might get you a rosette in October

I might keep my name on the 1st place BB bull ;)
    Right now I'm happy he's out with no section, alive and making it on his own tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Right now I'm happy he's out with no section, alive and making it on his own tbh.
    I'd say he tested the jack:D

High bike wrote: »
    I'd say he tested the jack:D

He was the length of it! Vet took him, doubt I'd have managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Has yer man from down the country that bought the other blue been on the phone yet??

tanko wrote: »
    Has yer man from down the country that bought the other blue been on the phone yet??

Ha! No, but he's not been sent a picture yet either. One petteen of a bull was probably enough, he probably plagued him with licking his jacket/head/arse every time he went into the pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Great weather to get these bits tidied up.

Hamlet heifer 3 mts

And a Jackpot bull 6 weeks,going to coil the 2 mammies tomorrow On Dit in one and Gamin in the other

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Hamlet heifer 3 mts
    Good length considering is a LM.

Base price wrote: »
    Good length considering is a LM.
    in the heifer yes but the bull is a bit short I think but hes shapely

And a Jackpot bull 6 weeks,going to coil the 2 mammies tomorrow On Dit in one and Gamin in the other

Gamin in the first one and on-Dit in the second one i presume?

Hamlet heifer 3 mts
    The calf in the pic has good length.
    An auld man told me many years ago when I first started out farming that carcass length = kgs on the hook and never a truer word was said.

tanko wrote: »
    Gamin in the first one and on-Dit in the second one i presume?
    thats what I’m thinking alright,what u think?

Base price wrote: »
    The calf in the pic has good length.
    An auld man told me many years ago when I first started out farming that carcass length = kgs on the hook and never a truer was said.
    very true yeah she has length alright the question is will she have milk

very true yeah she has length alright the question is will she have milk
    Enough to rear her own calf? depends on her breeding/what type of cow is she out off. She'd be the type that I would buy if I was looking for a continential heifer except for the fact that she is a LM. I don't like LM's, never have, never will with the exception if they are out of a Shorthorn/cross cow - they make good sucklers if their temperment is good.

On the flip side Holstein Friesian's have great length, have lots of milk but unfortunately they keep growing up.

• Advertisement

thats what I’m thinking alright,what u think?

On-Dit wouldn't suit the first one anyway, she's too tall in her back end for him. He works best on smaller blocky cows with lots of muscle i found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Ludwig

Ludwig II

adne wrote: »
    Ludwig
    cracking calf what age is he?

cracking calf what age is he?

October

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Purebred weanling heifer I bought a few months ago. Doing a great thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Hamlet heifer 3 mts

Fine calves. Will you breed from the Lodge Hamlet heifer? I'd worry they wouldn't have enough milk.

What do you think of Jackpot now? Is he as good as the hype around him?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Are they peds

Fine calves. Will you breed from the Lodge Hamlet heifer? I'd worry they wouldn't have enough milk.

What do you think of Jackpot now? Is he as good as the hype around him?
    dont know bout the heifer Patsy she’s out of a first calving Altea heifer and she seems to have enough milk but by all accounts the Hamlets aren’t too milky.Will see how she goes on and try get a bit of feedback from people that know a lot more about breeding than me.The Jackpot is a nice shapely calf and no bother calving but I think he’s lacking a bit of scope

• Advertisement

adne wrote: »
    Are they peds
    yes

Advertisement