Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Nearly broke the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Nearly broke the jack.
    jaysus that’s a weanling not a calf,hows the cow?

High bike wrote: »
    jaysus that’s a weanling not a calf,hows the cow?

She's wobbly but she's up. It was blaguarding to be honest, should have been a section. Charolais on a blue is a dangerous combination. Calf is weak enough, hope he straightens up. Milked the cow and tubed 4l of beastings into him at 3 o clock but his nose is still very cold. Think I will put him under the red lamp for the night.

She's wobbly but she's up. It was blaguarding to be honest, should have been a section. Charolais on a blue is a dangerous combination. Calf is weak enough, hope he straightens up. Milked the cow and tubed 4l of beastings into him at 3 o clock but his nose is still very cold. Think I will put him under the red lamp for the night.
    shes some cow to push that lad out,is the calf up?

No, he's just barely able to hold his head up. Going to take a bit of minding to get him going. His legs must be fairly sore after the pulling too.

• Advertisement

Here's another pic of him. Hard to do him justice in a picture.

will take a while to get his legs under him,he’ll be a sight when he stands.Best of luck with him

will take a while to get his legs under him,he’ll be a sight when he stands.Best of luck with him

Sound, hopefully he'll make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Sound, hopefully he'll make it.

Some brute, are you sick of calving cows at this stage or maybe when you're in the middle of it you don't really think about it. You won't forget this spring in a hurry.
    Is the Charolais bull back out with the cows? Every time you see him after a cow you'll be thinking, oh jaysus here we go again.

tanko wrote: »
    Some brute, are you sick of calving cows at this stage or maybe when you're in the middle of it you don't really think about it. You won't forget this spring in a hurry.
    Is the Charolais bull back out with the cows? Every time you see him after a cow you'll be thinking, oh jaysus here we go again.

Think he has 10 bulled already. Have 6 more to go now. Its not as bad this time of year, at least the days are long and dry. The lim gave me more problems than the charolais this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

And a Jackpot bull 6 weeks,going to coil the 2 mammies tomorrow On Dit in one and Gamin in the other

Nice stock. How does the coil work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

adne wrote: »
    +1, I have three heifers and two cows that I would like to synchronise if it's possible.

coil inserted and inject day one, inject again on day 3 , remove coil day 7 and ai day 10 I think that's it from memory.Getting it done tomorrow will ask the vet then

• Registered Users Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    +1, I have three heifers and two cows that I would like to synchronise if it's possible.

Did you get the DNA results on the calf yet?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you get the DNA results on the calf yet?
    In the end I didn't bother sending the sample. It's a small, black nosed, black hoofed heifer calf with a black tip on her tail that leaps and runs around the field.

coil inserted and inject day one, inject again on day 3 , remove coil day 7 and ai day 10 I think that's it from memory.Getting it done tomorrow will ask the vet then
    Did you find out from your Vet the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Congrats on a super calf, the Red Lamp works wonders for the calves who had difficult calving. We had a lad went thru hard calving ( tho nowhere near size of this superb animal ) & Vet gave anti-inflammatory shots, said that was the biggest problem that weakens the new calf. Anti Inflams might be worth considering if he has a difficult time.

Base price wrote: »
    Did you find out from your Vet the procedure.
    yeah coil in and a shot of estrumate today,leave 7 days and take coil out and and another shot of estrumate,72 hrs later Ai and a shot of busol

yeah coil in and a shot of estrumate today,leave 7 days and take coil out and and another shot of estrumate,72 hrs later Ai and a shot of busol
    Thanks.
    I only ever heard of using busol for mares.

He stressed that the 72 hr thing was very important,so you need a reliable AI man if your not doing it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

How much is coil? Can u do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

How much is coil? Can u do it yourself

Re coiling& Vet do / not do the job. Vet charges 35 e per coil ( think its called Prid ) He puts in with gun & I remove & give the cows the second shot.
    If there's say 4 / 5 being done, the visit fee is overlooked. The vet wants to insert coils himself, tho there are lads who buy the coils & insert. I question ev bill & Vet visit now, these are tough farming times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

My 3 ZLL bulls chilling out
    TgYfVql.jpg
    Last of the calved sucklers came bulling this morning, only 1 left to calve so she'll be late next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Few of this years calves from the new bull, very happy with him

Furandfeather
    Do you mind me asking what are those calves after? You have great stock, not a bad one there

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

FWO heifer,very impressed with him.
    She was born at the end of February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

milligan2 wrote: »
    FWO heifer,very impressed with him.
    She was born at the end of February

Minter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Track9 wrote: »

Re coiling& Vet do / not do the job. Vet charges 35 e per coil ( think its called Prid ) He puts in with gun & I remove & give the cows the second shot.
    If there's say 4 / 5 being done, the visit fee is overlooked. The vet wants to insert coils himself, tho there are lads who buy the coils & insert. I question ev bill & Vet visit now, these are tough farming times.

PRIDs are the triangular shaped ones - CIDR are the T shaped ones. Don't think I've seen a coiled one - is that just the term you use?

Do you double serve the cows or just the once?

Vet here likes to cut the cable short to minimise the chance of other cattle pulling them out. There is also a method where you inject an extra time (day 9 I think) - supposed to improve conception rates - esp with the double serve.

End of January born ch heifer out of a big lim x sh cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Ah.....very average.....have you anything better:D

Real smasher btw....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

End of January born ch heifer out of a big lim x sh cow.

How did your calving go this year? Did you have the vet out any times or were you able to calve them all your self?
    Those are class calves but I'd imagine calving could be problematic with them, are they?

Advertisement