Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

tanko wrote: »
    If you think it's bad here you should see where she came from:D

AH HERE!!! BANNED :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Fair enough, what kind of carcase weights and grades would you be hoping for?

390 to 420kg. Won't be any weight restrictions in Jan. They'll be on 7 or 8kg for the last 3 weeks. We were cut for over fat on the last bunch 3 weeks ago. Once bitten, twice shy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

A few weans VIqpibQ.jpg

Tanko, fine looking stock! Are any of them suitable for breeding or what is your plan for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

The red ones are off FZF, OZS and HCA so hoping they might be suitable replacements. The CH has been on here before;) so hoping she'll make a cow also.

A few weans VIqpibQ.jpg
    The red ones are off FZF, OZS and HCA so hoping they might be suitable replacements. The CH has been on here before;) so hoping she'll make a cow also.

The first good thing to come out of Leitrim so😝

• Advertisement

Tanko, what's the hca heifer like? Bil put ~8 bf cows in calf to hca for me, wasn't my first choice but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Got a bit of company for the sim bull! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Tanko, what's the hca heifer like? Bil put ~8 bf cows in calf to hca for me, wasn't my first choice but there you go.

I've used HCA a lot the last few years but I still don't know what to make of him. He's very easy calved on heifers, the calves are grand, leggy but wouldn't be the widest or have a lot of muscle. Have two 3yr old heifers off him calving in the spring. I see from my icbf report that calves off him which I've sold have killed out quite well, some r+ and u grades. He's a safe option on heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭mf240

Shh! Were trying to sleep.

p8uzd9ISj

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

390 to 420kg. Won't be any weight restrictions in Jan. They'll be on 7 or 8kg for the last 3 weeks. We were cut for over fat on the last bunch 3 weeks ago. Once bitten, twice shy

What fat score was over fat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

If you think it's bad here you should see where she came from:D

Heard it was rough alright. Dog rough. :-o

I hope she's lucky with ya. She's a smashing heifer with a lot of breeding in her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

just do it wrote: »
    What fat score was over fat?

Of the group of 11, One of the feckers was fat score 5. And four others were 4 or 4+. Never had ones like it before, and my dad questioned the factory like **** about it.
    We rekon they had to cut for something as we were getting a good price "for that week"

Of the group of 11, One of the feckers was fat score 5. And four others were 4 or 4+. Never had ones like it before, and my dad questioned the factory like **** about it.
    We rekon they had to cut for something as we were getting a good price "for that week"

So they don't want them any fatter than 3+?

Got caught with a light cow recently - carcase weight around 230kg. Told the price of €3.25 I was quoted was based on a carcase weight of 300kg.

Live and learn - I'll have to be make sure the prices are set in stone before they leave in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

just do it wrote: »

Live and learn - I'll have to be make sure the prices are set in stone before they leave in future.
    Best of luck to you on that mission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

My first pic!Hca heifer week old off a shx heifer

XaGn0S6h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

My first pic!Hca heifer week old off a shx heifer.

http://www.img.ie/index.php?module=thumbnail&file=1qcu1.jpg

I am having difficulty opening that. Any one else in the same boat

think i made a b####x of that

think i made a b####x of that

You wouldnt be the first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

^^^ Best I can do John. Very small image.

You somehow managed to use a url that got us to download the image :D:pac:

My first pic!Hca heifer week old off a shx heifer

XaGn0S6h.jpg

Very nice. Is she streching in the photo or is she that well defined already

• Advertisement

dh1985 wrote: »
    Very nice. Is she streching in the photo or is she that well defined already

Think the photo flatters her a bit shes handy enough.She'll be bucket fed so should be a nice replacment.

Think the photo flatters her a bit shes handy enough.She'll be bucket fed so should be a nice replacment.

Any reason why you will bucket feed her and not on the cow

dh1985 wrote: »
    Any reason why you will bucket feed her and not on the cow
    Sorry, she's off a dairy sh x fr. She never kept last year.Sold her today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

6XKsuf.jpg
    Just a nice photo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Replacements

More

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is there any advantage to mealing them when they are for replacements?

Muckit wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to mealing them when they are for replacements?
    The bigger ones wil get meal for another fortnight, im ai'ing some tomorrow and i want to keep them settled. there are some of them only 360-370 kg that will get a kilo a day for the winter and bulled the end of march and theres 2 that will hang round until the end of next year. i wouldnt usualy do this but they have serious eurostars and its a bit of an experiment. basicaly i want to keep them moving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Must remember this, for when I get stuck again;

Advertisement