Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

i was thinking of setting up some sort of sprinkler type system that would wash the slats while their at the barrier for 10 seconds or something just to keep it better. one for each pen hooked up to the tap or somthing ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

MikeSoys wrote: »
    okay, i should have had pens wider[in hindsight]..when feeding the 7 fill up the barrier ..more then 8 might mean their not all able to eat.

If your not giving meal, headspace isn't that important. Just keep silage pushed in

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

If your not giving meal, headspace isn't that important. Just keep silage pushed in

I'd agree, only 8 have room at the feed barrier here, but that's not an issue. Silage is wheeled in morning and evening.... I have access to give meal at the back. OP if you're feeding meal then you might be caught that way on the stocking density.

The idea of setting up a way to wash the slats down daily sounds like way too much work. I've never heard of anyone doing anything like this... That's another job to be done every day, for what gain? You'd be much better off to look at modifying the set up so that you have access to feed meal at the back. You'd also increase the capacity of your shed from 28 to 40 (4 spans X 10 cattle)

I have easy fix rubber on mine and the cattle are clean as on any other set-up. But you need to have the pens stocked correctly.

thanks yeah meal being given morning and evening

I'd agree, only 8 have room at the feed barrier here, but that's not an issue. Silage is wheeled in morning and evening.... I have access to give meal at the back. OP if you're feeding meal then you might be caught that way on the stocking density.

The idea of setting up a way to wash the slats down daily sounds like way too much work. I've never heard of anyone doing anything like this... That's another job to be done every day, for what gain? You'd be much better off to look at modifying the set up so that you have access to feed meal at the back. You'd also increase the capacity of your shed from 28 to 40 (4 spans X 10 cattle)

I have easy fix rubber on mine and the cattle are clean as on any other set-up. But you need to have the pens stocked correctly.

thanks yeah meal being given morning and evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Dozer1

As if the day wasn't long enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

wrangler wrote: »
    I wonder could thay be wet fostered like we do with lambs, if it was that simple it'd be a shame not to

Ya it works with calves too, I have done it a few times. Actually got the idea from reading about lambs being wet fostered on here years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Seen on reddit Ireland.

Discuss...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Seen on reddit Ireland.

Discuss...
      rough conditions to winter cattle on

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

High bike wrote: »
        rough conditions to winter cattle on

Hard to believe with all the grants available, there can't be money to be made that way...... only lost

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Dozer1

535390.jpg

535392.jpg
        Shed here finally done this week..but I'd a few not far off that..

2. Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Hard to believe with all the grants available, there can't be money to be made that way...... only lost
        theywouldnt be putting up weight anyway

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Dozer1 wrote: »
        Looks a super job

4. Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That looks the business - best of luck with that setup. So slated pen on one side of feed passage and the slatted pen with a lie back on the opposite? I presume the lie back will be straw bedded?

With feeding at both ends of the pens what stocking density can you get?
        Do you need to put down mats at the gates to help prevent the cattle curling up the slat mats?
        Were your mats costly?
        Your gate posts on the slats - are they onto a column?

Great setup the animals will be content and thrive in that shed.

5. Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Really great job. Do you mind me asking how much were the mats per bay?

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Seen on reddit Ireland.

Discuss...

Says a lot about any farming buisness when you see cattle not sculled.
        That sort of messing is neither good for man or beast

7. Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Seen on reddit Ireland.

Discuss...

Looks bad. Maybe not as bad, if they have a dry spot to lay down, but I doubt it.

8. Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Murang

Did you have to wait long to get the slat rubber I rang comfort slat agent in cork 3 times and he still hasn’t come out to measure up

9. Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That looks the business - best of luck with that setup. So slated pen on one side of feed passage and the slatted pen with a lie back on the opposite? I presume the lie back will be straw bedded?

With feeding at both ends of the pens what stocking density can you get?
        Do you need to put down mats at the gates to help prevent the cattle curling up the slat mats?
        Were your mats costly?
        Your gate posts on the slats - are they onto a column?

Great setup the animals will be content and thrive in that shed.

My tenant put similar in my shed and I hate the sight of them. The gate posts should be continued on up to the truss above, cattle get some power when they push the top of them..... maybe I'm too particular.
        When you lease your farm you just have to turn a blind eye

10. Advertisement
      11. Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Grueller

My tenant put similar in my shed and I hate the sight of them. The gate posts should be continued on up to the truss above, cattle get some power when they push the top of them..... maybe I'm too particular.
        When you lease your farm you just have to turn a blind eye

I made up a new crush last year here. I have it bolted to a slat and braced it to a wall with 5 cm wall thickness in 50x50 box. It is a great job. Not a stir out of it.

535427.jpg

12. Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Thanks All, great comfort long may it last,
        I'll avoid straw in the lie back/calving pens if I can, I've some old mats I'm going to use to see how the calves like them and if they go alright then I might get a roll of mat in a year or too for the 3 pens. Straw & Hay drives my sinus mad as well as the annual cost and storing the heap of muck would be an issue aswell.

Rang all the mat crowds in Oct, comfort were only crowd that rang back, I ordered them Oct 9th, measured Oct 20th and in on Saturday last. Came to 11,600 for 6 bays and that includes VAT.

As for the Slat pillars, went to see older sheds that had them and they were rock solid with no issues reported so I was happy to go with them, time will tell. Shed is bigger than I need but I'm not going building any more so with this done through TAMS it'll see me out. outside crush and yard still not done but hopefully by Jan it will be.

13. Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Did you consider sloping the lie-back, so that it drains down into the slats?

14. Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thanks All, great comfort long may it last,
        I'll avoid straw in the lie back/calving pens if I can, I've some old mats I'm going to use to see how the calves like them and if they go alright then I might get a roll of mat in a year or too for the 3 pens. Straw & Hay drives my sinus mad as well as the annual cost and storing the heap of muck would be an issue aswell.

Rang all the mat crowds in Oct, comfort were only crowd that rang back, I ordered them Oct 9th, measured Oct 20th and in on Saturday last. Came to 11,600 for 6 bays and that includes VAT.

As for the Slat pillars, went to see older sheds that had them and they were rock solid with no issues reported so I was happy to go with them, time will tell. Shed is bigger than I need but I'm not going building any more so with this done through TAMS it'll see me out. outside crush and yard still not done but hopefully by Jan it will be.

I took one down and made a bracket to catch five slats and they are able to lift the five slats when they push the tops, it probably works alright on gang slats, I'll put proper pillars to the truss when the shed is empty next summer

15. Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Thats a lovely looking job, fair play. Would you mind showing a picture of how the Pillars in the middle of the slats are fixed in place?

16. Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Dozer1

creep is well sloped already, I'll fire a few pics of the pillars tomorrow

17. Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Slat pillars held on either side grabs 2 on either side with a t piece underneath the slat

18. Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

535390.jpg

535392.jpg

Lovely job

19. Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

20. Advertisement
      21. Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Weighed some calves and the effect that the pneumonia on the effected ones was big.
        Best one down from 1.55kg/day down to just over 1kg/day. A few others dropped from lower initial values.
        All heading in right direction now thankfully.

Advertisement