Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It's all got a bit of the GameStop about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The lad born at the weekend at 303 days. Off homebred Loyal bull. Came very CH-ish like the cow.

mgwMg7el.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The lad born at the weekend at 303 days. Off homebred Loyal bull. Came very CH-ish like the cow.

mgwMg7el.jpg

Fierce size
    That’s where a good roomy cow comes into her own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Fierce size
    That’s where a good roomy cow comes into her own

That's her there back left, 3rd calver. Once we got the shoulders through the pelvis he came handy enough, looks a grand sort at the moment anyway. Hard fed calf though, he'd eat udder & all if he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Charolais yearling heifer out of a he x fr cow. Very quiet, should make a nice replacement in time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Charolais yearling heifer out of a he x fr cow. Very quiet, should make a nice replacement in time.

You can see the Charolais in the thick bone!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

She's a smasher. Lovely shape to her and nice feminine head.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

She's a smasher. Lovely shape to her and nice feminine head.

I like those types, easy fleshed too for the winterage. She hasn't got any silage all the winter just 3kg nuts a day on the winterage. I know a lot of fellas don't like keeping anything with a white head but the ones from the milker cows nearly always have some bit of white breaking through somewhere on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

I like those types, easy fleshed too for the winterage. She hasn't got any silage all the winter just 3kg nuts a day on the winterage. I know a lot of fellas don't like keeping anything with a white head but the ones from the milker cows nearly always have some bit of white breaking through somewhere on them.
    I’d be with you on that one they have to have a white face, belly or elder if there to make it as a suckler in my eyes.

Is there a big difference at the mart selling stores castrated vs non-castrated?
    Got a few which we'll not be able to finish that are intact and are about 410kg @ 8mths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Is there a big difference at the mart selling stores castrated vs non-castrated?
    Got a few which we'll not be able to finish that are intact and are about 410kg @ 8mths.

From now on there's usually a premium for store bullocks over bull's at lighter weights due to demand from summer grazer's. In the autumn time there isn't much of a difference in most cases.

However imo they'd want to be done a month or more and visibly looking like a bullock to get a premium. Castrating them today and selling next week means they still look like a bull regardless of what's announced and lads will usually buy them as such. If your going to sell in the next fortnight I'd leave them as they are tbh because I don't see it making much of a difference. As above if you could hold them for a few weeks then I'd get them done ASAP and you'll have something that should appeal to the type of lad that wants a handy time of it for the summer. The same lad will give them a dose in the mart chute before loading and let them straight into the field when he goes home and is well prepared to pay for this convenience.

From now on there's usually a premium for store bullocks over bull's at lighter weights due to demand from summer grazer's. In the autumn time there isn't much of a difference in most cases.

However imo they'd want to be done a month or more and visibly looking like a bullock to get a premium. Castrating them today and selling next week means they still look like a bull regardless of what's announced and lads will usually buy them as such. If your going to sell in the next fortnight I'd leave them as they are tbh because I don't see it making much of a difference. As above if you could hold them for a few weeks then I'd get them done ASAP and you'll have something that should appeal to the type of lad that wants a handy time of it for the summer. The same lad will give them a dose in the mart chute before loading and let them straight into the field when he goes home and is well prepared to pay for this convenience.

Thanks - won't be selling for a month yet so I'll get them crushed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

If they were my cattle I wouldn't castrate them as at that weight I would fear they would melt, with the prices good bulls are making at the minute, I would save yourself the hardship and sell them as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

LC, you have great stock fair play to you. I would love a small spot like that to keep a few cattle out for winter

• Registered Users Posts: 29,632 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wednesday's fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

whelan2 wrote: »
    Wednesday's fun

Sweet mother of god......how did she get there and how the hell did you get her out!!!

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Sweet mother of god......how did she get there and how the hell did you get her out!!!

Lifted her butt up with the forks of the digger and she stepped forward. Her calf was in the shed

Lifted her butt up with the forks of the digger and she stepped forward. Her calf was in the shed

Every farmer should have those big thick lifting straps. I got a load of them here from a company I worked for before. Neighbours always looking for them.

Every farmer should have those big thick lifting straps. I got a load of them here from a company I worked for before. Neighbours always looking for them.

Have those. Have a lifter too but I'd say it wouldn't have fitted over her hips the way she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

No need for that lark. Thanks. GC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Wednesday's fun

You're a brave woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Only thing thats wrong is the balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Super , bit of charolis in him I'd say

He looks like he's just after a bath, shampoo and blow dry.

Super , bit of charolis in him I'd say

Ya mother is a vcr cow.
    Calf really brought the charolais bone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Lovely colouring, i'd say your heart sank when you lifted his leg.

What bull is he off?

tanko wrote: »
    Lovely colouring, i'd say your heart sank when you lifted his leg.

What bull is he off?

Out of my own bull by curaheen tyson

Generally speaking, what is the difference between dairy nuts @16%; protein and beef blend @ 16%.
    Got a calved cow (2 weeks) and she has a small udder - I think it's the type of her as she reared a good strong bull calf last year, but boss wants to put her on a dairy nut.
    I don't really see much difference in the general composition between them so wondering if a dairy nut can really do anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Generally speaking, what is the difference between dairy nuts @16% protein and beef blend @ 16%.
    Got a calved cow (2 weeks) and she has a small udder - I think it's the type of her as she reared a good strong bull calf last year, but boss wants to put her on a dairy nut.
    I don't really see much difference in the general composition between them so wondering if a dairy nut can really do anything here.

Read the label
    Some 16% calf nut says not suitable for lactating cows as it can effect milk production
    Likewise dairy nut is not suitable for males as it can effect them urinating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭50HX

Generally speaking, what is the difference between dairy nuts @16% protein and beef blend @ 16%.

Go to a dairy farmer, if he has ration in the bin for the parlour, that's what you want

Advertisement