Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks. Will speak with the merchant and see what he recommends. Usually have general blend, but have 16% for the weanling in the bin until we can sell them on.
    I was going to just mix some post calver mineral powder into it or over the silage, but will need to see what he has in it first now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We don't know how to to protest in Ireland. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

^ well we can, but we're likely to get thrown into jail for it. While Anto with 55 previous convictions gets a suspended sentence because he grew up in a disadvantaged area/difficult upbringing/left school early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

^ well we can, but we're likely to get thrown into jail for it. While Anto with 55 previous convictions gets a suspended sentence because he grew up in a disadvantaged area/difficult upbringing/left school early.
    And his mammy didn't give him hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ah I will not be having any slurs on the the name Anto thank you very much...😁😁😁

• Advertisement

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Ah I will not be having any slurs on the the name Anto thank you very much...ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Apologies. Can I stick in stevo or micko instead :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Apologies. Can I stick in stevo or micko instead :D

I hate to be "that" person but maybe leave Stevo off the list as well!!!

I hate to be "that" person but maybe leave Stevo off the list as well!!!

If I have to put up with Karen I don't take prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Lisadell jackpot bull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

New twin lambs, one white one black.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

JJayoo wrote: »
    New twin lambs, one white one black.

Ebony and Ivory. You could put it to music.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

she looks well impressed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    she looks well impressed:D

Blinded by the shirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Grueller

He is only telling her that her fake tan line under her chin is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A few pics from the last few days.

Some buy land. Some make it. The recent dry weather must be a godsend for the winterage.

Some buy land. Some make it. The recent dry weather must be a godsend for the winterage.

I timed my calving well anyway, had 15 last week, going to slow down a bit now. Its a lot easier when the days are fine. Think I will have to give the young lad I had driving the digger a bonus too, don't think anyone thought it would turn out as well. Sorry I didn't take a before picture, it wasn't pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A few pics from the last few days.

As much as I like trees. I'd say in a few years you'll be sorry you didn't whip those few out that are left in the middle.

Had a drainage contractor here a few years back reclaiming rushy ground. There was a bit of birch trees in the middle along a drain. We were thinking of leaving them when they were there but before we could say anything the contractor had them all whipped out and levelled.
    It was the right thing to do in fairness as he could do the drains properly and then after when he was gone I could see what way the field was and I brought back field stones to level up places and cover with soil and I was able grade and level then with the tractor and harrow and leveller and I had a proper field where I could take a crop of silage or top or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

As much as I like trees. I'd say in a few years you'll be sorry you didn't whip those few out that are left in the middle.

Had a drainage contractor here a few years back reclaiming rushy ground. There was a bit of birch trees in the middle along a drain. We were thinking of leaving them when they were there but before we could say anything the contractor had them all whipped out and levelled.
    It was the right thing to do in fairness as he could do the drains properly and then after when he was gone I could see what way the field was and I brought back field stones to level up places and cover with soil and I was able grade and level then with the tractor and harrow and leveller and I had a proper field where I could take a crop of silage or top or whatever.

Rushy ground in Wexford? I hadn't seen any on my trips there. A good bit of ragworth here and there though... Rush bushes come in handy in some other counties for standing on when trying to walk across a wet field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

LC - any particular reason you left them in? What depth would your soil be there?

Rushy ground in Wexford? I hadn't seen any on my trips there. A good bit of ragworth here and there though... Rush bushes come in handy in some other counties for standing on when trying to walk across a wet field.

I may take you on a tour the next time you're here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Some of the most difficult land in Ireland is in Wexford surprisingly.

LC - any particular reason you left them in? What depth would your soil be there?

Scratching posts, shade, shelter and I just kinda like them to be honest. Not going to ever be mowing it for silage so doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

grassroot1 wrote: »

Is this land near the Blackstairs or there abouts as I haven't been in that area? I certainly have never seen any really bad stuff apart from some sea coast marshes either side of the N11 all the way down to Carnsore, up along the east coast or over to Hook Head or along the N25 or Bunclody roads. Let me know where this difficult Wexford land is and I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm down there!

Is this land near the Blackstairs or there abouts as I haven't been in that area? I certainly have never seen any really bad stuff apart from some sea coast marshes either side of the N11 all the way down to Carnsore, up along the east coast or over to Hook Head or along the N25 or Bunclody roads. Let me know where this difficult Wexford land is and I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm down there!

That was the last we heard of forgottenhills.
    He was seen last in The Ballagh heading for Newbawn.

That was the last we heard of forgottenhills.
    He was seen last in The Ballagh heading for Newbawn.

I've never been in Newbawn. I've just dropped down randomly on Google maps on roads around that village and all I see are green fields and tillage. See the link below and I have clicked on a few similar roads around there with the same kind of good land to be seen.

Random road near Newbawn

Serious question. Can you direct me anywhere in Wexford on Google maps where you can see a rushy field?

Serious question. Can you direct me anywhere in Wexford on Google maps where you can see a rushy field?

This reminds me of ag college where wexford fellas had the cork lads drove up the wall with stories of wexford having the best land in the country and n'er a rush to be seen.
    This was all rumbled when one of the tasks we were all given was plant identification on our farms and to bring samples back in a folder.
    The big eegit I was I brought back a sample of rush among other plant species. I let the side down. :rolleyes:

Forgottenhills we keep our rushy fields away from the roads.
    We have some dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

grassroot1 wrote: »

In fairness some of the most difficult people are there too...

• Advertisement

This reminds me of ag college where wexford fellas had the cork lads drove up the wall with stories of wexford having the best land in the country and n'er a rush to be seen.
    This was all rumbled when one of the tasks we were all given was plant identification on our farms and to bring samples back in a folder.
    The big eegit I was I brought back a sample of rush among other plant species. I let the side down. :rolleyes:

Forgottenhills we keep our rushy fields away from the roads.
    We have some dignity.

All I can do is admire the land down there.

Here is a random typical spot in West Cavan on Google maps. Click on any road around there and you will see what heavy land with rushes really looks like and never speak ill of Wexford again. Wet hills and even wetter lowlands. Zero tillage possible with modern machinery. And this is in summer when Google drive around and the land is looking it's best. The same type of land is common in Leitrim, Fermanagh, lots of the North West and Connacht. Even the odd bit of Munster.

Back in the 1950s my father and his friends were in the young NFA/IFA and would go on the odd bus trip to different parts of the country such as the Golden Vale. He told me that they would marvel at the quality of the land there and come home fairly depressed.

Advertisement