Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Looking at those green hedges has me mad for a summer road trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

All I can do is admire the land down there.

Here is a random typical spot in West Cavan on Google maps. Click on any road around there and you will see what heavy land with rushes really looks like and never speak ill of Wexford again. Wet hills and even wetter lowlands. Zero tillage possible with modern machinery. And this is in summer when Google drive around and the land is looking it's best. The same type of land is common in Leitrim, Fermanagh, lots of the North West and Connacht. Even the odd bit of Munster.

Back in the 1950s my father and his friends were in the young NFA/IFA and would go on the odd bus trip to different parts of the country such as the Golden Vale. He told me that they would marvel at the quality of the land there and come home fairly depressed.
    Ah I'll have to hit back with Giant Elk!!..?

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Woodward_/status/1185568625811513345?s=20

Found complete in a preserved state (bones in a bog) (died in a bog) (thousands of years ago) in a bog near enniscorthy in the 1800's. Most likely this was the bogland that started in a place near kilcotty and continued along the Sow river down to Castlebridge. It's a level land - eel country. But there's been a hell of a lot of reclamation and work since. Trees planted and deep dykes dug.
    Coincidentally other irish elk remains were found in Murrintown lately also known for its badland.
    Then there's the Macamore's or mucky mors or big mucky land in east wexford. Farmland yes but can grow an odd rush or two.
    There's more jungle between gusserane and ballycullane. Actually does look like a jungle if you google drive that road.
    Then land all along the blackstairs is basically a write off, severely disadvantaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Ah I'll have to hit back with Giant Elk!!..?

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Woodward_/status/1185568625811513345?s=20

Found complete in a preserved state (bones in a bog) (died in a bog) (thousands of years ago) in a bog near enniscorthy in the 1800's. Most likely this was the bogland that started in a place near kilcotty and continued along the Sow river down to Castlebridge. It's a level land - eel country. But there's been a hell of a lot of reclamation and work since. Trees planted and deep dykes dug.
    Coincidentally other irish elk remains were found in Murrintown lately also known for its badland.
    Then there's the Macamore's or mucky mors or big mucky land in east wexford. Farmland yes but can grow an odd rush or two.
    There's more jungle between gusserane and ballycullane. Actually does look like a jungle if you google drive that road.
    Then land all along the blackstairs is basically a write off, severely disadvantaged.

Well done, you found one bit of bog in Wexford there on that road from Gusserane!

That would be dacent grazing land with a bit of footing up north. There are at least 5 bogs in every parish in Leitrim and Cavan and I am not joking about that.

Look at this satellite image to see the number of lakes around there for one thing. Good job the weathers not warmer or it would be a great place for crocodiles and hippos. Wexford farmers and their elks would drown up there.

Well done, you found one bit of bog in Wexford there on that road from Gusserane!

That would be dacent grazing land with a bit of footing up north. There are at least 5 bogs in every parish in Leitrim and Cavan and I am not joking about that.

Look at this satellite image to see the number of lakes around there for one thing. Good job the weathers not warmer or it would be a great place for crocodiles and hippos. Wexford farmers and their elks would drown up there.

Ah ffs! Can't compete with Leitrim. :)

I may go out the back and cut a few sleans of turf on the commanage. The fire is dying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ah ffs! Can't compete with Leitrim. :)

I may go out the back and cut a few sleans of turf on the commanage. The fire is dying down.
    We can boast of having a bog in NCD - The Bog of the Ring near the Naul.
    My MIL told me that when she was in National School rushes cut from there and sent into the city schools so children make St. Brigid's Cross.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    We can boast of having a bog in NCD - The Bog of the Ring near the Naul.
    My MIL told me that when she was in National School rushes cut from there and sent into the city schools so children make St. Brigid's Cross.

Where is ballybetagh bog? Is it south Dublin?

Just on the Irish elk again. Apparently the remains of over 100 elk were found there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just on the Irish elk again. Apparently the remains of over 100 elk were found there.

Yes - in the foothills of the Dublin Mtns(since drained). A couple of miles from where I grew up near Naas, there is a bog known as "Redbog" on the Wicklow/Kildare border. Its claim to fame is that its currently the most "Eastern" raised bog in the country. Its only about 20 acres with about half that open water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Would make sense, they didn't expect to find a bog there so they all fell in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Is this land near the Blackstairs or there abouts as I haven't been in that area? I certainly have never seen any really bad stuff apart from some sea coast marshes either side of the N11 all the way down to Carnsore, up along the east coast or over to Hook Head or along the N25 or Bunclody roads. Let me know where this difficult Wexford land is and I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm down there!

Try the Macamores

Would make sense, they didn't expect to find a bog there so they all fell in :P

Southside elks probably on their way back from Johnnie Fox's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

valtra2 wrote: »
    In fairness some of the most difficult people are there too...

Difficult what do you mean by difficult exactly!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Difficult what do you mean by difficult exactly!!!!

Sure look at Davy Fitzgerald :D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

It's the little things in life.

20210313-113820-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

This lad tested the jack today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Finally managed a photo of the blue from last Friday!

s9xZHQNl.jpg

Went out with the spade. Spade is twelve inches long.

20210327-131505.jpg

Roots from the perennial ryegrass are strong to the bottom of the sample.

20210327-131604.jpg

Soil is a gley type. Reddish brown veins are evident from earthworm activity and the fungi bacteria relationship with the roots through the soil.
    That's your carbon.
    Really noticeable against the slight grey type of the soil.

Spade went down very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Went out with the spade. Spade is twelve inches long.

20210327-131505.jpg

Roots from the perennial ryegrass are strong to the bottom of the sample.

20210327-131604.jpg

Soil is a gley type. Reddish brown veins are evident from earthworm activity and the fungi bacteria relationship with the roots through the soil.
    That's your carbon.
    Really noticeable against the slight grey type of the soil.

Spade went down very easily.

Impressive
    Is the soil high in P & K

Impressive
    Is the soil high in P & K

I haven't got the tests at hand.

But id be naturally high in K overall and naturally low in phosphorus overall.
    Two years ago the sods were pulling up on that ground. I haven't really changed practice. Haven't really upped the phosphorus use on other years. If anything it's less. But I have been using foliar which I hadn't before. That bit did get dung alright last year. And part of the foliar which that piece got which'd be different from the rest was ormus.
    It's not perfect though. Cows were going very deep into that ground when it was grazed weeks back.
    No standing water on top of the ground but very easy go down.
    It's not normally like that. I'll have to manage some of my other hocus pocus on it to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

SFL! Those straws go a good price now. Hope for a heifer from that one!! Best of luck with them anyway, the bit of muscle is always tempting alright :D

A wee heifer alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Someone was asking about Moondarrig Knell,that's a June born heifer out of a first time calver.Nice heifer but a bit flighty might move her on I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

High bike wrote: »
    Someone was asking about Moondarrig Knell,that's a June born heifer out of a first time calver.Nice heifer but a bit flighty might move her on I think
    She has length which imo is the most difficult conformation point to breed into stock. Length = carcass weight. Lovely grass under her.

Base price wrote: »
    She has length which imo is the most difficult conformation point to breed into stock. Length = carcass weight. Lovely grass under her.
    yeah she’s a nice type just like her mother who’s an Aubrac x Sim .Pity the knells seem to be a bit highly strung and his milk figures seem to be gone down too.That was reseeded 3 yrs ago after Kale happy enough with it

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

High bike wrote:
    yeah she’s a nice type just like her mother who’s an Aubrac x Sim .Pity the knells seem to be a bit highly strung and his milk figures seem to be gone down too.That was reseeded 3 yrs ago after Kale happy enough with it

We are using a Knell stock bull on Heifers and small Cows recently and his a very docile bull probably the quietest we've ever had. First calves came Autumn just gone and they seem docile as well for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Have a yearling heifer by knell here, off a shx cow. Her offspring would usually be a little bit on the flighty side but this heifer a nice quiet heifer

Great to have a bit of help at last. Couldn't figure out how the electric fence kept getting opened in the yard. She does this the whole time, even when it's powered. Managed to catch her on camera today. She's by ZAG, by the way.

Watch this video from 10:45;

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Very very lucky. Looks like it went in to dunt/trample her on the ground afterwards
    I get the impression that fella wasn't too impressed with it all judging by the way he was stomping off.

Great to have a bit of help at last. Couldn't figure out how the electric fence kept getting opened in the yard. She does this the whole time, even when it's powered. Managed to catch her on camera today. She's by ZAG, by the way.

I bet if u put a Limerick flag around the gap handle she wont touch it Patsy:D

• Advertisement

Lodge Hamlet LM4058 bull calf

Advertisement