Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Lodge Hamlet LM4058 bull calf
    Lovely calf,typical Hamlet wit the big arse on him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Just like the last Loyal bull we had, this one hit a thrive around 10 months. He's about 11ish months & a bit now.
    He's bulled a cow but debatable if fertile at that age though it didn't stop him getting the 'jump'!

(Just to add, we do not own the rushes across the river :D)

7pwFa6tl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Just like the last Loyal bull we had, this one hit a thrive around 10 months. He's about 11ish months & a bit now.
    He's bulled a cow but debatable if fertile at that age though it didn't stop him getting the 'jump'!

7pwFa6tl.jpg

Cracking bull

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Cracking bull

Thought he did very well for a heifers calf, she's just due now to CWI, fingers crossed for a heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Thought he did very well for a heifers calf, she's just due now to CWI, fingers crossed for a heifer.

A decent heifer Wil have a calf as good as any cow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭DBK1

Lodge Hamlet LM4058 bull calf
    Super looking calf Patsy. I killed a lodge hamlet heifer during the winter at 24 months old and she killed out at just 62% of her live weight in the yard.

I was delighted the way she turned out considering last August I thought I was going to have to put her down. A heifer behind her in the crush put her head in under her, lifted her in the air and when she dropped her down her back leg had gone out over the top bar of the crush. She was very lame after it, with blood seeping out through her flesh. The vet was anxious as to whether she’d recover or not and prepared me for the worst.

I took her away from the stock she was with and put her in with the whitehead suck calves. Slowly she started to recover. It got to the stage where she was only very slightly lame but if you were moving them to fresh grass and she ran she’d be lame again for a few days. Left her on peat all winter and was delighted to eventually get a cheque for her and not be paying to have her taken away. She killed out 385kgs and came to €1,611

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Fine bull. Would you consider that bull butty? Loyal's figures are very poor for skeletal value with ICBF. Only 18 animals scored but still.
    I'm about to order straws from Bova AI and was thinking of getting a few Loyal.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

A decent heifer Wil have a calf as good as any cow

IMO, not really, you'd be using an easier calving bull so wouldn't have the same traits as something you'd put on a cow, not the full potential of her milk yet, and still growing herself so not putting all into the calf.

The potential can be there in the calf but they mightn't bring the calf to achieve it. I'd always expect a heifers calf to achieve less than comrades to cows.
    Fine bull. Would you consider that bull butty? Loyal's figures are very poor for skeletal value with ICBF. Only 18 animals scored but still.
    I'm about to order straws from Bova AI and was thinking of getting a few Loyal.

Aye, a slight bit, but the mother is tall, as is the grand-dam so I'd be hoping he'll stretch upwards now before he's sold. He's been lengthening the last while & putting up the neck & arse, so I'm hopeful the upwards growth might have been put on the back burner. He was genuinely born end of last April so he has time to grow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

IMO, not really, you'd be using an easier calving bull so wouldn't have the same traits as something you'd put on a cow, not the full potential of her milk yet, and still growing herself so not putting all into the calf.

The potential can be there in the calf but they mightn't bring the calf to achieve it. I'd always expect a heifers calf to achieve less than comrades to cows.
    w yet.
    You aren't going putting a hardcalving bull on a purebred cow so it's not all that either, a heifer has better milk but maybe less of it. Plenty of cows don't put it all into the calf either

You aren't going putting a hardcalving bull on a purebred cow so it's not all that either, a heifer has better milk but maybe less of it. Plenty of cows don't put it all into the calf either

Just my opinion, each to their own.

• Advertisement

At pedigree bull sales, sellers will announce if a bull is a heifers calf. I always understood this to imply that mother (being a first calver) , would have been that bit short of milk so calf not showing it's true potential. Calf also born without problems, so overall a good thing.

At pedigree bull sales, sellers will announce if a bull is a heifers calf. I always understood this to imply that mother (being a first calver) , would have been that bit short of milk so calf not showing it's true potential. Calf also born without problems, so overall a good thing.

I'd always say if a calf is off a heifer in a private sale too, esp if it's a nice one!

Reckon we'll use Loyal as our heifers bull for the next while, not too many seem to be using him so always nice to have a choice different from ZAG :pac: I'll prob let him bull that heifer in pic too, he's only 4.9% CD on paper for heifers so better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not the clearest photo but ye get the idea.

20210422-145202.jpg

This is a shale field laneway come machinery storage area. There was an old slurry tanker parked nearest the camera and a not so young either tipping trailer parked behind that.
    For those not versed on greenage there's a noticeable green and thick spot where the tanker was and another where the trailer was. Now you'd think it should be the opposite with it been shaded from the Sun.
    The reason. Begins with F and ends with T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

A cow a bought 2 years ago with a five hour old Zag bull.. think she would fit in on a dairy farm. She had a lovely blue black heifer last year, however the heifer seems to fatty for breeding. All going well might try Fifty Cent on her this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

If she was mine i'd put Curaheen Earp on her if going for a Sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Thanks Tanko, is he a better bull. Have had a few fifty cents and thankfully very easy calved...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

I think he is and would suit that cow better. Fifty cent is a grand bull on a small well muscled cow but they can be plain on the wrong type of cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Today's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Today's fun.

That's looking well now. What posts are those that you are using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I only saw it now, it does look well...

It’s not standard 8-80-15 sheep wire either is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

When ye need to call in the big guns to help :)
    A Friesian cow calved on Sunday. She is rearing 2 other young calves along with her own and they're not able to drain her. First pic is from this morning and the second one is this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    When ye need to call in the big guns to help :)
    A Friesian cow calved on Sunday. She is rearing 2 other young calves along with her own and they're not able to drain her. First pic is from this morning and the second one is this evening.

You’ll have to breed a replacement off her

They are the incised posts from wood Farm in Galway. Think the sheep wire is 8 80 15 alright.

Before the floods today

Before the floods today

Can you view previous weeks sales on Mart Eye?

They are the incised posts from wood Farm in Galway. Think the sheep wire is 8 80 15 alright.

Did you see the ones ifarm wefarm got? Poor penetration of the creosote.

• Advertisement

Did you see the ones ifarm wefarm got? Poor penetration of the creosote.

That's because the most of the posts are ringing wet when they treat them, no space to take it in.

Advertisement