Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

High bike wrote: »
    Just wondering would this lady be a bit too muscley to breed off,could I run into problems calving?

Grand shape on her bud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

Just wondering would this lady be a bit too muscley to breed off,could I run into problems calving?

I think you’ve answered your own question there. Good chance of a side door job with the likes of her. that doesn’t seem to bother some tho.
    An R grade like the cow at the back of the pic would be better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Super job & the soil looks rich & good quality. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Glad to have this one calved. She'd gone 298 days but still a handy heifer. Another Gamin (Zgm) .

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Gamin is great for calving, never had any bother calving him even on well muscled cows.
    Serious length to that cow, she’s hardly off On-Dit is she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Serious bag of milk aswell...I’ve 2 to go will be glad when there done.

tanko wrote: »
    Gamin is great for calving, never had any bother calving him even on well muscled cows.
    Serious length to that cow, she’s hardly off On-Dit is she?

No, she's by Ampertaine Foreman x Fieldson Alfy. She's fair big alright. Lovely and quiet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

tanko wrote: »
    If she was mine i'd put Curaheen Earp on her if going for a Sim.
    Took your advice on this today Tanko. My AI man who is very good with advice said he is the best sim bull for cows.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Took your advice on this today Tanko. My AI man who is very good with advice said he is the best sim bull for cows.

I like him anyway, breeds a nice type of heifer and very good bulls/bullocks. He’s well worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

A 2 day old THZ bull,cant get any closer due to visiting restrictions by mammy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

I've a couple showing good shape that I'm going to keep all things going well. Can try something handy on them. SP or BA 1st time round and see from there. Surely they can calf them handy ones

They were painting the bell tower on the church beside where I have some land, so when the hoist was up they took photos of the of the area. They got this nice one of some of my stock..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    They were painting the bell tower on the church beside where I have some land, so when the hoist was up they took photos of the of the area. They got this nice one of some of my stock..

Few nettles there lad :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »

Hedges nicely kept though

Reggie. wrote: »
    They are thistles grow like hell this year, but I topped them yesterday..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Loads of thistles here too. Does topping only spread them? Thinking spraying them next week when cattle are finished in that field

I don't know, I know spraying them is the only way to get rid of them but the fields are full of lovely clover flowers at the minute so don't want to spray them.. I think if you top before the flower seeds on the thistle then it doesn't spread them. I hear if you top around now and again in September it is meant to check them but I don't know. I might do that field again in September and then I will know for next year hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Dozer1

lawn here is after been taken over with Clover last few weeks it is literally like a white bee palace the noise from so many of them them buzzing around is mad, will leave it a few weeks before I'll cut it as be a shame to loose them for the sake of a "pretty" lawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Dozer1 wrote: »
    lawn here is after been taken over with Clover last few weeks it is literally like a white bee palace the noise from so many of them them buzzing around is mad, will leave it a few weeks before I'll cut it as be a shame to loose them for the sake of a "pretty" lawn

I’m the same. I leave the blades at the highest and it saves most of the flowers. The Aldi wild flower seeds I planted last year are still popping up. Great to see.

14/15 months old- heading to Ennis today.

• Advertisement

14/15 months old- heading to Ennis today.

Very nice. best of luck with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

What weights are they and what are you expecting?

Lovely cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Good luck!

Do you find that the holly works?

893bet wrote: »
    What weights are they and what are you expecting?

Lovely cattle.

No clue what I was expecting because usually make feck all from cattle. This crew got some nuts and across the board it paid for them. I sold 3 bullocks in feb off the yard for €900 each for 2 and €800 for the last one. I had one April born lad that was pure weedy and never thrived after his mother died. He turned inside out on grass and went to mart today.

He was April born. A bullock weighed 390kg and made €1050 so was delighted.

3 of the 4 heifers matched but I split them in pairs.
    Pair 1- averaged 378kg and sold for €970
    Pair 2 - averaged 350kg and sold €1090

Delighted to be honest. First time I averaged a grand an animal on a day. The online has improved my prices no end.

My cattle are small and cheap to run. Those cattle didn’t see right good grass either.

Good luck!

Do you find that the holly works?

I dunno to be honest. It cleared up quick. I mineraled them and cleaned the place too. A BAX I bought brought it in. No signs now.

The three I kept.
    The bullock is LM off a spx heifer- figured he’d make nothing so I’m keeping him for the freezer.

The roan lady is off a SP cow- I want her for a replacement and the grey is a BA off a Fr cow I bought in to put on a heifer that lost a calf.

The BA has stars for scheme and I want to try the breed out with the lm bull as I’ve a good source locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Omallep2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Loads of thistles here too. Does topping only spread them? Thinking spraying them next week when cattle are finished in that field
    I had them bad. I fertilised a week before I sprayed with thistlex and that was 10 years ago. None back since. No woolly animals either though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The three I kept.
    The bullock is LM off a spx heifer- figured he’d make nothing so I’m keeping him for the freezer.

The roan lady is off a SP cow- I want her for a replacement and the grey is a BA off a Fr cow I bought in to put on a heifer that lost a calf.

The BA has stars for scheme and I want to try the breed out with the lm bull as I’ve a good source locally.

The should make super cows, the LM calves should be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just seen Gerry6420 bought a small batch of Stabilisers. Will be interesting to see how they work for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Its that time of year again

Advertisement