Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Reggie. wrote: »
    What was the pull like...surely a jack was needed

Light jacking. Spat him out handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

dh1985 wrote: »
    Light jacking. Spat him out handy enough

That's a wonder with his hips. Would have got jammed if it was us I bet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Beistings into everything here within the first half an hour. Let too calves of a couple of years ago cause the cows were lethal and between joint ail, chills an pneumonia we said everything gets fed straight away even if it means ratchet strapping a cow to a gate. Then there's always the ones with damn all milk but there's always a few litres gathered in the freezer for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Do any if you take beestibg from cow and give to calf. Neighbor started doing it last two yr and he said it made an unreal difference. No sick calves or any mortality.

Usually let them have a few hours to try it themselves. If the cow has big bottle tits though, it's straight up the crush and teach the calf to do it himself without the pain of a cow circling.

Have a dairy farm right near us so always frozen beestings to be got there if really needed. Normally pick up a couple of litres and keep it in the freezer from Spring onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Kovu wrote: »
    Usually let them have a few hours to try it themselves. If the cow has big bottle tits though, it's straight up the crush and teach the calf to do it himself without the pain of a cow circling.

Same as ourselves then. Give the calf a chance to try and take it themselves - if not then cow goes up the crush and let the calf feed from outside, help if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mike_ie wrote: »
    Same as ourselves then. Give the calf a chance to try and take it themselves - if not then cow goes up the crush and let the calf feed from outside, help if necessary.

Don't give any calf a chance here. Cow milked asap calf fed, cow never goes back once they go through parlour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I don't have the energy to run after you today pet, please play fair.

I don't have the energy to run after you today pet, please play fair.

Omg......it's the game in real life.

1359523330_run-cow-run.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Started halter training this bucko. If you hear a lot of sharp intakes of breath from the athboy direction then that's probably me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Started halter training this bucko. If you hear a lot of sharp intakes of breath from the athboy direction then that's probably me.

Wonder will he be any easier or harder to train than a limo ? I find the parts a bit lively . Good luck with him , it's one way of working off the turkey !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bullocks wrote: »
    Wonder will he be any easier or harder to train than a limo ? I find the parts a bit lively . Good luck with him , it's one way of working off the turkey !

I'm not expecting him to be difficult. He loves to stand and get scratched in the yard as it is and he loves his meal so bribery is a useful tool too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Frost & Fungi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I like the attachment on the side of the crush for ratcheting up the bar behind the animal. Is that off the shelf or something you'd made up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Took this on the way home today, spose it's relation to farming is it's hill farming country :D Not far inside the Connemara border (disputed :cool: )

Took this on the way home today, spose it's relation to farming is it's hill farming country :D Not far inside the Connemara border (disputed :cool: )

Is that on your left coming into Maam Cross from Galway ?

Is that on your left coming into Maam Cross from Galway ?

No, but you're very very close....... :D

No, but you're very very close....... :D

Surely that's well in Connemara ? I thought our place was borderline ☺

Surely that's well in Connemara ? I thought our place was borderline ☺

Depends which line ya take as the border, that's just West of Maam Cross looking over Oorid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Frost & Fungi.

Looks like some lad took a dump after a feed of prawn crackers!

Muckit wrote: »
    Looks like some lad took a dump after a feed of prawn crackers!

Truly Muckit, you are a gifted wordsmith.

• Advertisement

Would you guys chance frying them in a bit of butter?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Would you guys chance frying them in a bit of butter?

No , I wouldn't cook them at all , chop them up and throw them in a salad .

Thought about flashing them in the pan, twist of black pepper and onto warm brown bread with a bit of brie. Just a bit of a hang up about eating stuff growing in a grave yard, that's all....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'd hear of a lad 'pushing up the daisies' but 'pushing up the mushrooms' is a new one to me.

Anyways. .. enjoy :)

Muckit wrote: »
    You'd hear of a lad 'pushing up the daisies' but 'pushing up the mushrooms' is a new one to me.

Anyways. .. enjoy :)

He could be pushing out quare stuff after eating them

Bit nippy here! :eek: QXFOsiu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Thought I was cold till I saw this lot :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Well used to it no bother on them had a few out in the last big freeze not a bit of difference to them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I said wrote: »
    Well used to it no bother on them had a few out in the last big freeze not a bit of difference to them
    have 2 lame cows out in a paddock, my mother rang me there to say are they ok eating frosty grass:confused: i never thought about it til she rang me, so is frosty grass a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Frosty weather is ideal for cattle that are out, way more content then they are when its raining.

Advertisement