Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

This is ideal weather for cattle that are out. Good frosty weather to clear those snotty noses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I think that I saw somewhere that cattle with adequate feed thrive best at -4C. If you ever have cattle out in cold weather they eat way less that in wet windy weather.

Cattle do not mind the cold weather, what they hate is cold rain with a wind behind it.I also remember reading that if you can working in a cattle shed without a coat it is too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

just do it wrote: »
    I like the attachment on the side of the crush for ratcheting up the bar behind the animal. Is that off the shelf or something you'd made up?

That's an off the shef job. I'm not that handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Have a few bales like this. The hole in this one was hidden. What's causing it - mice?

4AVTdz.jpg
    7Aj8bR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They must breed the mice big down your way! Would a pine Martin or young badger bother with a bale?
    or perhaps a rat nested there and a fox tried to dig them out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Have a few bales like this. The hole in this one was hidden. What's causing it - mice?

4AVTdz.jpg
    7Aj8bR.jpg

Its rats JDI - and if you are lucky its just that bale

Panch18 wrote: »
    Its rats JDI - and if you are lucky its just that bale

One at the other end as well. However cats have been crawling all over the bales and have caused more damage. Of course I never see them as they disappear once they hear the gate opening. First winter I've had this issue. I'll have to set up bait points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Big fella looks cold,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Big fella looks cold,
    I was expecting a pic of a bull, dog or even a tractor.
    That tree is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Reggie. wrote: »
    Thought I was cold till I saw this lot :o

This pic was in the farming indo a few years ago. Cattle happy out in the states.

Anthropomorphism. It's spreading. Farmers getting it now too....agghhhhh!!!!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    This pic was in the farming indo a few years ago. Cattle happy out in the states.

Anthropomorphism. It's spreading. Farmers getting it now too....agghhhhh!!!!

Great word and great photo!!

4MyyDe.jpg
    God bless the calving camera! The vasectomised bull's chin ball is out of ink but I hardly need it thanks to the camera. The white lady isn't standing yet but he's on the case. Spotted a heifer standing for him that has no marks so I wouldn't have picked her up but for watching on the camera.

And all the while watching 2 cows in the nearest pen due to calf.

Met up with non-farming American relations earlier and had a bit of crack with them explaining it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

4MyyDe.jpg
    God bless the calving camera! The vasectomised bull's chin ball is out of ink but I hardly need it thanks to the camera. The white lady isn't standing yet but he's on the case. Spotted a heifer standing for him that has no marks so I wouldn't have picked her up but for watching on the camera.

Met up with non-farming American relations earlier and had a bit of crack with them explaining it all :)

Thats impressive resolution for a calving camera. Did it cost much to set up. Fine shed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

4MyyDe.jpg

Just back in from the rain after checking a springer - a calvng camera would be nice right now ! I usually only check them before bed and as soon as I get up but this one is a lovely heifer and of course I dont know what bulled her so I'm a bit worried

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Pic inside shed today - 9 bales of hay left, we stacked about 30 in the feed passage during the summer, fierce handy feeding and no smell of silage in the house !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Milton09 wrote: »
    Pic inside shed today - 9 bales of hay left, we stacked about 30 in the feed passage during the summer, fierce handy feeding and no smell of silage in the house !!

Fine shed. What kind of inlets do you have at the top of the back sheeting? Never seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Fine shed. What kind of inlets do you have at the top of the back sheeting? Never seen that before.

That's the normal vented sheeting I think

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Thanks, standard vented sheeting but I built a lean-to afterwards so you can only see light through the top 12" or so, not ideal but was a handy spot to build the lean-to.

Did you ring for a price on the cattle ? I remember when all our cattle bar the milkers were out like that

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did you ring for a price on the cattle ? I remember when all our cattle bar the milkers were out like that

No I did not in general I would not be buying that type of weanling, look fine healthy animals.

dh1985 wrote: »
    Thats impressive resolution for a calving camera. Did it cost much to set up. Fine shed also.

DIY set-up for around €250. All details are in a dummies guide to a calving camera thread from about 2 years ago.

Just back in from the rain after checking a springer - a calvng camera would be nice right now ! I usually only check them before bed and as soon as I get up but this one is a lovely heifer and of course I dont know what bulled her so I'm a bit worried

With the smartphone I've a quick look at 3am without having to get out of bed. Also keep an eye on things no matter where I am with work ;)

No I did not in general I would not be buying that type of weanling, look fine healthy animals.

Oh ya , they could do better than lads in the sheds no doubt .
    Is there any bit of poaching that is allowed or acceptable , for example if you were feeding them in a garden that was earmarked for a spring reseed ?
    I rented a few acres to a lad a few winters ago and he blackened it with horses , nothing was sloppy except a bit where he had a feeder . One rub of the rotaspike and it was fit for seed and took great .

With the smartphone I've a quick look at 3am without having to get out of bed. Also keep an eye on things no matter where I am with work ;)

Ah stop you're just rubbing it in now :D
    My rap still didnt calve today so Ill be out again tonight :rolleyes:

Is there any bit of poaching that is allowed or acceptable , for example if you were feeding them in a garden that was earmarked for a spring reseed ?
    I rented a few acres to a lad a few winters ago and he blackened it with horses , nothing was sloppy except a bit where he had a feeder . One rub of the rotaspike and it was fit for seed and took great .
    Yup. Saw something similar except with cows. No spray was required and no need for P&K. All he did was chain harrow, roll & spread seed. I saw it that summer and it had a rich thick cover.

Ah stop you're just rubbing it in now :D
    My rap still didnt calve today so Ill be out again tonight :rolleyes:

Couldn't live without it now. Is it too late for a Santa present for yourself? !

Yes there is but type in photo would attract fine I think. They are dead set against soil being liquidfied and because of this ring feeders must be moved. This in in itself causes issues with taking tractors around fields with bales. 30 weanlings outside would eat over a bale/day with a few kgs of ration so you would be droping a good few bales/week out to them.

Couldn't live without it now. Is it too late for a Santa present for yourself? !

Stop , that hoor has me broke , had to get a water trough and a few fencing bits and pieces today and i nearly cried , especially over the water trough as the other one was grand until the father backed the dump trailer over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

Ah its not too bad. He might have a handy enough sfp so not going to wet himself over losing 2 or 3 % on the off chance of an inspection.

Lovely weanlings hard to beat the whitehead.

Advertisement