Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Lol sum scutter. I remember all of ours out like that years ago an me standing on the diff-lock on the tractor to get to and from the ring feeder. I never want to see that hardship agin.

I'd love to know how them boys would do over summer compared to comrades that are on slats over winter. I bet 30/50 kg more live KGs on them lads outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Outwintering 17 of these girls in 2 batches rotating over circa 35 acres of rented ground this winter.

They'll get aprox 1kg nuts and a bale of hay every day. Average cost of €681 @ average weight of 266kg in November/early Dec. Photo's taken in Nov.

Probably sell as stores next Oct. Hoping to make a fortune. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Looks like great ground. They should thrive well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Milton09 wrote: »
    Pic inside shed today - 9 bales of hay left, we stacked about 30 in the feed passage during the summer, fierce handy feeding and no smell of silage in the house !!

How did u find performance on hay only instead of silage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Lol sum scutter. I remember all of ours out like that years ago an me standing on the diff-lock on the tractor to get to and from the ring feeder. I never want to see that hardship agin.

I'd love to know how them boys would do over summer compared to comrades that are on slats over winter. I bet 30/50 kg more live KGs on them lads outside.
    I was caught for sheds a few years back and had animals in very similar circumstances and there wasnt a bother on them, they went way ahead of the ones that were housed and kept a great shine on themselves all the following year compared to the others. i was reseeding so wasnt overly fussed about the ground. i had the local environmental co. co. one driving past every day too. luckily no repercussions. with the autumn that was in it this lad may have taught he could hold theem out a bit longer and just got caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Muckit wrote: »
    Looks like great ground. They should thrive well!

It's heavy enough ground Muckit, grows a few rushes and there's aprox 7 acres of it very rushy and wet. Grand on a dry year but was a disaster in 2011 & 2012. Could definitely be improved if it was your own though. I have it on a 7 year lease, finishing up in April this year, so will have to see what happens over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Different year same silage

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

How did u find performance on hay only instead of silage?

No noticable performance difference yet, cows will start calving at end of Jan so that might tell a different tale. Water supply is much more important on the hay though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Out wintered weanlings getting 4kg meal and no silage. Thriving really well I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Out wintered weanlings getting 4kg meal and no silage. Thriving really well I think!

They look very well. Id say you get some blasts of wind coming across there.

• Advertisement

dh1985 wrote: »
    They look very well. Id say you get some blasts of wind coming across there.

Ya, it's fairly bleak here alright, only 2 miles from the Atlantic so it's to be expected I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Lovely stock LC, better out there than in any shed. The big red one with the horns is a serious animal, is it a heifer for breeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Nice bunch limestone. What sort of meal are you giving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Thats a grand bunch of weanlings LC , how much will it cost to meal them over the winter ?

tanko wrote: »
    Lovely stock LC, better out there than in any shed. The big red one with the horns is a serious animal, is it a heifer for breeding?

Ya she's a cracker. Going to bread her alright, she's out of a lim x sim springer. Miles ahead of the rest of the bunch.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Thats a grand bunch of weanlings LC , how much will it cost to meal them over the winter ?

100/head give or take a few euro, hope to get them to grass early if the weather plays ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

A grand bunch of weanlings there alright LC, 618 must have been buried in the rushes the day you were dehorning.

Very handy size blonde heifer calf but very lively and hardy. These heifers are teaching me a lesson this year, you think they are a day away from calveing and bang the bag is out ha.

Very handy size blonde heifer calf but very lively and hardy. These heifers are teaching me a lesson this year, you think they are a day away from calveing and bang the bag is out ha.

Stylish looking calf . It's the opposite here , I see a few taking a week longer to calve after I thought they would go within a day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

thats a fairly decent looking calf what bull you use? did you put blonde on many heifers?

• Advertisement

Thats a nicely marked heifer and she seems to have a nice bit milk too especially, if you had her on the hay that I see there. Best of luck with her

Used our blonde stock bull on all the heifers and they'll get sim after that.

Ya their getting hay to try keep the straw bed dry. The few that have calved are showing good signs for milk tank god. The next pen over there is a black sim that brought the same color. Thought that was strange thought it would be a black or dark calf for sure.

Used our blonde stock bull on all the heifers and they'll get sim after that.

Ya their getting hay to try keep the straw bed dry. The few that have calved are showing good signs for milk tank god. The next pen over there is a black sim that brought the same color. Thought that was strange thought it would be a black or dark calf for sure.

I was speaking about the heifer/cow that calved. Shes a beaut. Yeah thats the problem I find with the black cattle, they do tend to bring a darker calf which dont be as good of seller as the browns or whites. I have no experience with blondes so maybe they come different than charolais from black cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Kovu wrote: »
    Bluestone used on everything here. Any cut we see almost, easy to dilute in a spray bottle and use in the field. Use it on calves navels in place of iodine too.
    what strength you dilute to ? this would be a great alternative to iodine maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

what strength you dilute to ? this would be a great alternative to iodine maybe ?

Pm'd you back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Not farming but anyway. The new house in progress. The house is to the left. It's a 2 story and the bottom floor is in place. Not a bad old view we'll have :)
    7NiZzP.jpg

just do it wrote: »
    Not farming but anyway. The new house in progress. The house is to the left. It's a 2 story and the bottom floor is in place. Not a bad old view we'll have :)
    7NiZzP.jpg

Lovely views JDI. You will be happy to be finished building by the time the new parlour and house are finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

7NiZzP.jpg

Christ tis a lovely site. What neck of the woods is that in jdi?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

7NiZzP.jpg

Lovely spot JDI. Nice to see you got the shed up first...

I like your style :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reggie. wrote: »
    Lovely spot JDI. Nice to see you got the shed up first...

I like your style :D

My hideout :)

Advertisement