Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Some weanlings enjoying the fine weather today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Sum nice shape there mac. Stock bull or AI?

Sum nice shape there mac. Stock bull or AI?

2 lm/ch x are out of rocky stockbull as is lmx with white stripe. Other 2 lm are out of pch and ahz.

Pch animals seem to be very leggy whilst the ahz animal is very blocky. Have a sh out of a pbnr heifer, beutiful animal and would make a great cow but for one small problem. She is a he:p

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

What ages are your weanlings if you dont mind me asking

dh1985 wrote: »
    What ages are your weanlings if you dont mind me asking

The lmx with the White stripe is March born, the rest are April/may born. I've a full sister to the March heifer calving down in March and if she has milk i will breed this one aswell. Getting a 1.5 bucket of nuts and a transport box of hay. They seem to be doing well on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

2 lm/ch x are out of rocky stockbull as is lmx with white stripe. Other 2 lm are out of pch and ahz.

Pch animals seem to be very leggy whilst the ahz animal is very blocky. Have a sh out of a pbnr heifer, beutiful animal and would make a great cow but for one small problem. She is a he:p

I have an AHZ bull about 15 months old. I was convinced he would stay very small but now he looks like he will grow away, no problem.

I have an AHZ bull about 15 months old. I was convinced he would stay very small but now he looks like he will grow away, no problem.

Good to hear. She is pbr but given that ahz is not very good on the maternal side, I'll probably sell her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

542, 543,544,OK, WHO MOVED ???? !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Think we were all glad to get off the hill yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Think we were all glad to get off the hill yesterday.

Jaysus I'm cold just looking at them pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Have a sh out of a pbnr heifer, beutiful animal and would make a great cow but for one small problem. She is a he:p

Reminds of the saying
    '.....yeah and if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle!!' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

They'd hear a bag shaking a mile away :D

l1H5uP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Obviously not my photos, but could be interesting to some on here.
    https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/benni.gumma/westfjords

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Obviously not my photos, but could be interesting to some on here.
    https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/benni.gumma/westfjords

Make a man out of ya out there

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭White Clover

Smashing outfit there

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Cows udder seems to have reduced before calving, she did carry a long time, she is tender on some spins and won't let him suck them all, she is also a little hard, anything that should be done other than milk out by hand? Shot of penicillin maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Cows udder seems to have reduced before calving, she did carry a long time, she is tender on some spins and won't let him suck them all, she is also a little hard, anything that should be done other than milk out by hand? Shot of penicillin maybe?

She's a heifer, normal for them to be tender. We use the term 'flagging' around here to describe it but I'm sure there's a technical term.
    Just make sure they don't go unsucked for a few days, if they get dirty, clean them so the calf won't be discouraged to suck them. He'll work his way around once his gets his full hunger and vigor ;)

One of the bullocks I'm thinking of selling next week

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I have a calf a few weeks old that had a bit of a navel infection. The vet gave me a bottle for him and his navel has dried up but over the last week I noticed his front legs are starting to buckle. I'm worried it is joint ill because I had a calf that had a similar issue last year and I ended up having to put him down. What do ye think it might be and is it something to worry about?

6530C888-A696-47B0-998C-07DD16925C30_zpsqyzv7oi9.jpg

3D8DAD3B-A9E9-4D18-B2F0-844F9AB4C623_zpsyss6y3pf.jpg

• Advertisement

Selenium/Vit E injection will sort him out. Nothing to be worried about :)

Kovu wrote: »
    Selenium/Vit E injection will sort him out. Nothing to be worried about :)

Seriously? Jesus that would be mighty if its that. Can I get this from co-op or do i need to go to the vet?

Thanks for your advice Kovu.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Seriously? Jesus that would be mighty if its that. Can I get this from co-op or do i need to go to the vet?

Thanks for your advice Kovu.

Vet should be able to give them to you, just tell him the calf is knuckling at the knees and that's more than likely what he'll give you. We used to have a couple of them every year until we upped the minerals to the cows. It'll take a few days to straighten out but he'll come grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Vitasal, you'll get it in your vets. Only a tenner I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

how long was he on the injections, navel/joint ill takes a long long time to cure , last one here we had to inject for 10 days with noroclav

whelan2 wrote: »
    how long was he on the injections, navel/joint ill takes a long long time to cure , last one here we had to inject for 10 days with noroclav

He was on the antibiotic for 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

might be no harm to ask vet does he need another course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

that wasnt too bad had one here a couple years ago had to get a shot for 20days in the end we were running after trying to catch him he hated to see us coming, he never made a full recovery on his feet but we got him into the factory so it was worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

whelan2 wrote: »

I'd be worried it's joint Ill. Sorry to have to say it. I'd be chatting the vet asap.
    I hope I'm wrong and Se sorts him out. If i t was me I'd be taking no chances!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Id have to agree with genghis. If it's joint ail it would be Linco spectun id be hitting them up with if the nori lab hasn't worked. I used to be plagued with it till I started soaking the navels in iodine after they were born. I've had heaps of success situation with joint ail so wouldn't overly panic but it does take a long time to clear.

Advertisement