Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

2nd calver I ai'd for the girlfriends father last year, dropped a lovely little dru heifer the other day. All I have to do now is convince him to sell her to me as a weanling :P

God the a great advertisement for out wintering. Wish I had a small spot like that. The are as clean and healthy looking compared to some of mine that won't use cubicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Bullocks wrote: »
    She is the healthiest looking cow I've seen in awhile , buy her aswell if he's selling
    That's the Burren for ya!
    When you say the heart of the burren, what part?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

That's the Burren for ya!
    When you say the heart of the burren, what part?

Carron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Carron.

Were you thinking of putting up slatted shed Limestone ? Are you fully stocked on the winterage or could you hold a few more without them tearing it up ?

Carron.
    Grand spot. Often drive through it.

• Advertisement

Were you thinking of putting up slatted shed Limestone ? Are you fully stocked on the winterage or could you hold a few more without them tearing it up ?

I do be getting notions alright but not sure if the figures stack up to be honest. The winterage is stocked the the max really but I have summering for another 20 cows if I wanted to. It'd nearly make more sense to put up a dry shed and get into sheep aswell if I wanted to push it but I'm not sure about that either, we're surviving away doing what we're doing at the moment so won't dive into anything too fast.

Grand spot. Often drive through it.

Tis, the best winterages are around there, bit of a tb hotspot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I do be getting notions alright but not sure if the figures stack up to be honest. The winterage is stocked the the max really but I have summering for another 20 cows if I wanted to. It'd nearly make more sense to put up a dry shed and get into sheep aswell if I wanted to push it but I'm not sure about that either, we're surviving away doing what we're doing at the moment so won't dive into anything too fast.

I'd agree with you there , no point running faster to stand still .
    I got 6 ewes myself to see how they pan out . It wouldn't be to costly to run a small flock along with sucklers I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I'd agree with you there , no point running faster to stand still .
    I got 6 ewes myself to see how they pan out . It wouldn't be to costly to run a small flock along with sucklers I think

Do that here, keep 30 ewes with the sucklers. Keep the place tidy, eat anything the cattle leave behind. Gross €4k - €5k pa. Apart from lambing easy enough work with along as you have fences and more fences.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

RobinBanks wrote: »
    God the a great advertisement for out wintering

The kind of outwintering l remember l don't ever want to go back to.

Before we built the slatted shed twas feeding silage bales or small squares in half ring feeders in an old cobbled yard. The cows would wade in up to their bellys In **** then back out to find a dry lie by the ditch. The **** would be up over the runner boards in the 135 when you had to drive in to push in a bale.

Before that twas more smaddering with single and double chop pit silage in the corner of a field. Again cows up to their bellys in muck. Hopping up and down on a silage knife cutting out a bench, then barrowing it out along sheets of galvanise into half ring feeders along by the edge of the wire. I'm still trying to get the pan broken and the drainage right in them fields 25years later!

Thank God for concrete yards and slatted sheds!!!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    .....smaddering...
    ???? Would that be what we call 'mullocking' around here? :D

???? Would that be what we call 'mullocking' around here? :D

'Smaddering' would be doing a messy botched job of things. A person who would do such jobs would be a 'smadderer' as in 'he's only an oul smadderer.' He'd be the kind of lad that would use pallets and baling twine instead of stakes and barbed wire!! You could leave things 'in a smadder.' Ie in a mess or 'in a ****e.' And don't even try to look it up on dictionary. com. Ito appears to be just an east galway thing!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

The best head locking tool ever and only 10 euro online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have made many a slip/halter to train & show cattle for a lot less than €10.
    BTW cattle are shown to the right of the holder - ye need to adjust the slip/halter to the animals left.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Base price wrote: »
    I have made many a slip/halter to train & show cattle for a lot less than €10.
    BTW cattle are shown to the right of the holder - ye need to adjust the slip/halter to the animals left.
    I had to halter his head up to get a dose back his troat ! I was thinking of getting a head scoop but went for the cheap alternative! I dunno anything about showing cattle to be honest ! It's slow doing 40 sucklers but hey it's cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I had to halter his head up to get a dose back his troat ! I was thinking of getting a head scoop but went for the cheap alternative! I dunno anything about showing cattle to be honest ! It's slow doing 40 sucklers but hey it's cheap
    Apologies tomieen, I missed the reference to head scoops as that is new technology to me :)
    IMO unless the animal that you are dosing is a mature bull, HO/FR or continental cow then most crush gates are more than adequate for the purpose.
    Personally I have difficulty dosing larger animals as I don't have the strength to hold their heads with one hand while administering the dose with the other.
    However, I do have a side kick that assists from time to time :D.
    Having said that we both had difficulties dealing with a 2 yo HO bullock with pink eye/fog fever last summer.
    Vet arrived to have a look and between the three of us, the crush gate, 2 horse halters, and two snaffles. The fecker would not stay still.
    After a bit of trying, the vet gave him a shot of something in the crush to calm him down.
    Turned him out onto the pad and he chilled out and conked out. Vet did the biz and administered the appropriate meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

saw a lad loose the tops of his fingers taking the halter off a bull, bull lifted his head quickly as he was taking the halter off the top off his head, always loosen and take off from under the jaw iykwim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I've a 2005 lim suckler and she is a battle start to finish .. She buries the nose to the floor rigid.. She had bitten the bolus applicator and dosing gun out of temper before it even goes near here ,. Just like a dog! She'd be the best advertisement for a head scoop!

Now that's the kind of animal l want to see in manufacturers promotional videos for their handling equipment. Seeing a quiet dairy cow just doesn't cut the mustard. They need to be more like a rodeo bull ready to enter the ring!!

Now that's the kind of animal l want to see in manufacturers promotional videos for their handling equipment. Seeing a quiet dairy cow just doesn't cut the mustard. They need to be more like a rodeo bull ready to enter the ring!!

Yeah they could do a good "before" and "after" promotional video.. She is a handful .. I dose them always by myself but you'd want to stretch yourself well before you get to this lady! I halter her and tie her to overhead bar of crush gate (older type ) not semi or fully automatic

• Advertisement

Ya, I'd like to see someone but a bolus into one of these bulls;

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Maybe with a shotgun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Had a good few small handy calves, easy to calve for the heifers this year (touch wood it stays that way) then this freak came along last night! He was the full length of the jack. All good tank god and he's lively out.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Had a good few small handy calves, easy to calve for the heifers this year (touch wood it stays that way) then this freak came along last night! He was the full length of the jack. All good tank god and he's lively out.

I said it before when you posted other photos recently, but in my view that's a lovely looking springer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

dh1985 wrote: »
    I said it before when you posted other photos recently, but in my view that's a lovely looking springer

Cheers, I wasn't sure what she was going to be like for milk but she really bagged up a few days befoure calveing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

The kind of outwintering l remember l don't ever want to go back to.

Before we built the slatted shed twas feeding silage bales or small squares in half ring feeders in an old cobbled yard. The cows would wade in up to their bellys In **** then back out to find a dry lie by the ditch. The **** would be up over the runner boards in the 135 when you had to drive in to push in a bale.

Before that twas more smaddering with single and double chop pit silage in the corner of a field. Again cows up to their bellys in muck. Hopping up and down on a silage knife cutting out a bench, then barrowing it out along sheets of galvanise into half ring feeders along by the edge of the wire. I'm still trying to get the pan broken and the drainage right in them fields 25years later!

Thank God for concrete yards and slatted sheds!!!

Did 2 years of that to get suckler cow quota back in the early '90s. The tracks are still evident!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I used a €2 fencing post to lift their heads. Got a hook drencher there in the autumn and it's a mighty job. Out of about 30 only 2 spat some out. Makes dosing an easy job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

just do it wrote: »
    I used a €2 fencing post to lift their heads. Got a hook drencher there in the autumn and it's a mighty job. Out of about 30 only 2 spat some out. Makes dosing an easy job

I've found that sometimes catching an animal in the crush gate is enough to make them difficult to handle. I suppose it isolates them a bi. But needs must.
    I'd often fill the crush tight and dose, or bolus all that had their heads up. I'd root up the others heads and dose. I think they behave a bit better along the crush in the company of their comrades. There's always a few that force the issue and end up in the gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Watchin that I was thinking they should put corks on those horns...any volunteers willing to try and put them on?

• Advertisement

photo_zps46d53ebc.jpg

1 year old today

photo_zps1a946a6a.jpg

Advertisement