Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

was it just me or did anyone find that horse fight very boring ?

nothing like tb test day and your testing 50 800kg bulls that haven't been out of a slatted pen for months !!:D:D:D mayhem

It should be an Olympic sport :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

From an NZ farming websight I just had to post them up. What a stunning country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

From an NZ farming websight I just had to post them up. What a stunning country.

Did ya never stand on top of croagh Patrick or magillicuddy reeks

I said wrote: »

Never been up croagh Patrick I'm ashamed to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    Never been up croagh Patrick I'm ashamed to say

Join the club. I got as far as the fancy restaurant at the base of it :D

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Join the club. I got as far as the fancy restaurant at the base of it :D

I got to the car park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Last nights production

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote:
    I got to the car park

dogging spot??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Last nights production

Handy nights work

Milked out wrote: »
    Handy nights work

Only 1 assist leg back at 6 this am. Hope they keep coming like that so we can get done

By mid week we'll have enough ai bred replacement heifers born

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Only 1 assist leg back at 6 this am. Hope they keep coming like that so we can get done

By mid week we'll have enough ai bred replacement heifers born

Great to have them in early, have enough on the ground already here, what replacement amount to u see yourself carrying? I guess 30% is a safe bet but 20 to 25 would be cheaper and then again a bit more than 30 would allow any opportunities that arise to be taken if ground was available for them

Milked out wrote: »
    Great to have them in early, have enough on the ground already here, what replacement amount to u see yourself carrying? I guess 30% is a safe bet but 20 to 25 would be cheaper and then again a bit more than 30 would allow any opportunities that arise to be taken if ground was available for them

25% is what I'd be comfortable with. We are looking at another opportunity so will keep all heifers born ai or sbull. If things don't work out they'll be sold as herd has matured nicely in the last few yrs

25% is what I'd be comfortable with. We are looking at another opportunity so will keep all heifers born ai or sbull. If things don't work out they'll be sold as herd has matured nicely in the last few yrs

I think that there's a shortage of good quality dairy stock coming to the market. Do ye agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I think that there's a shortage of good quality dairy stock coming to the market. Do ye agree?

I see the prices are up anyway . Why is there a shortage , I thought there would be alot of cows bred to dairy bull in the last couple of years . Is there that many getting started or lads expanding this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

[HTML][/HTML]

Yes. Figures bear this out. 1.6% extra dairy cows this year and 2% next year, will be a long way off demand if milk price begins even a modest recovery.Looking in DD,what looked like quality AI bred Fr heifer calves for €400, the man is at nothing . Assuming €100 for matching bull, €500 for the pair. With a Hereford stock bull he'd be much better off so I can't see supply increasing significantly next year. Also any surplus heifers were sold at a loss over the last no. of years so these farmers are going to produce milk from this land if on the parlour block rather than rear heifers for sale. I can see Dairy stock getting very expensive.

I said wrote: »

No, it's probably one I should put on the list to do over the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I've literally walked the heels out of my boots :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

It's actually a genuine pic. He's taking part in the circuit of Ireland rally later this year and is hammering around the roads of Tyrone in practice.
    (he should make a new series called 'The Electric Fence Wire)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

It's actually a genuine pic. He's taking part in the circuit of Ireland rally later this year and is hammering around the roads of Tyrone in practice.
    you'd think he'd kick some of the silage over to the cattle while he's standing there

whelan2 wrote: »
    you'd think he'd kick some of the silage over to the cattle while he's standing there

There'd be some schtink of silage in the car after that. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Who is he ? Some say he forks silage before every race . All we know is he is called the stig ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Is that idris elba

Edit: just seen the photo name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Last nights production
    6 CALVES in one night now that is production!!

Fresh out of the oven, she couldn't stand yesterday she was so heavy so we got the vet out and she induced her around 1pm yesterday. About 10 days early. To healthy bulls and big for twins. Both backwards but not to much hassle. Probably our worst cow for milk & she had twins but a bit of TLC and they'll be fine.

Fresh out of the oven, she couldn't stand yesterday she was so heavy so we got the vet out and she induced her around 1pm yesterday. About 10 days early. To healthy bulls and big for twins. Both backwards but not to much hassle. Probably our worst cow for milk & she had twins but a bit of TLC and they'll be fine.

How do you manage to get them born with the tags on? You were on the ball there Mad4, are their navels even dry?:D

How do you manage to get them born with the tags on? You were on the ball there Mad4, are their navels even dry?:D

With the tags on.....oh that gotta hurt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Lovely animals-Mad4, will ya have them dehorned by dinnertime?;) what age is cow?

Nettleman wrote: »
    Lovely animals-Mad4, will ya have them dehorned by dinnertime?;) what age is cow?

Lol the father says the same, that's her 3rd calving I think she's a few months shy of six.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Can your AI man put the tags in along with the" straw" ? :D

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Can your AI man put the tags in along with the" straw" ? :D

New technology, born sexed, polled, and tagged! Very handy :-)

Advertisement