Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

This lad arrived yesterday evening. Bit of a pull with him but it's her first calf so had to be expected. Was up and sucking in 45 mins.
    284.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Parishlad wrote: »
    This lad arrived yesterday evening. Bit of a pull with him but it's her first calf so had to be expected. Was up and sucking in 45 mins.
    284.JPG

You have a good looking setup for calving there, have you the head gate but diagonally to the wall and does the gate dividing the pen close into the calving gate to help get them in?

You have a good looking setup for calving there, have you the head gate but diagonally to the wall and does the gate dividing the pen close into the calving gate to help get them in?

Yep, headgate is set in to corner of the shed. Gates at either side of headgate can be opened back to the outside. Bucket of nuts normally coaxes them up to headgate. Secret is not to excite them but if needed then the dividing gates either behind or to the side can be used to force the cow up. Have attached a couple more pics. You'll see how one side of the calving gate is fixed to the wall once the cow is locked in. Chain around the back then keeps everything in place. I'm not mad about the headgate itself. Very easy to lock in pace and free again but when a cow goes down under pressure the bar along the bottom (which would be under cows neck) is too high and could cause a problem.
    Gate1.JPG
    Gate2.JPG
    Gate3.JPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'm not mad about the headgate itself. Very easy to lock in pace and free again but when a cow goes down under pressure the bar along the bottom (which would be under cows neck) is too high and could cause a problem.

Completely agree with you... and it will happen. You could use the head gate to halter the animal then let her back out with minimum slack on the halter and close the head gate.

If an animal gets hung in the head gate you'll never get her out due to her own weight.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Yep, headgate is set in to corner of the shed. Gates at either side of headgate can be opened back to the outside. Bucket of nuts normally coaxes them up to headgate.

That's an unbelievable shed. fire up a few more pics there for us, good man. smile.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That's an unbelievable shed. fire up a few more pics there for us, good man. smile.png

Very tasty be nearly a sin to let animals into it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Reggie. wrote: »
    Very tasty be nearly a sin to let animals into it :o

I reckon Whelan couldn't get it as clean as that with all her powerwashing. Thats a cracking looking set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Yep, headgate is set in to corner of the shed. Gates at either side of headgate can be opened back to the outside. Bucket of nuts normally coaxes them up to headgate. Secret is not to excite them but if needed then the dividing gates either behind or to the side can be used to force the cow up. Have attached a couple more pics. You'll see how one side of the calving gate is fixed to the wall once the cow is locked in. Chain around the back then keeps everything in place. I'm not mad about the headgate itself. Very easy to lock in pace and free again but when a cow goes down under pressure the bar along the bottom

Ya, head gate bottom bar is way too high, you should take it off and get it lengthened. What a shed tho !! Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yep, headgate is set in to corner of the shed.

That's a class shed. Well wear. Yeah as you pointed out a right headgate instead of that single locking barrier and you are laughing.

What is the little tank over the tap for?

Muckit wrote: »
    That's a class shed. Well wear. Yeah as you pointed out a right headgate instead of that single locking barrier and you are laughing.

What is the little tank over the tap for?

It's the water tank from the pump Muckit.

• Advertisement

Yep, headgate is set in to corner of the shed. Gates at either side of headgate can be opened back to the outside. Bucket of nuts normally coaxes them up to headgate. Secret is not to excite them but if needed then the dividing gates either behind or to the side can be used to force the cow up. Have attached a couple more pics. You'll see how one side of the calving gate is fixed to the wall once the cow is locked in. Chain around the back then keeps everything in place. I'm not mad about the headgate itself. Very easy to lock in pace and free again but when a cow goes down under pressure the bar along the bottom (which would be under cows neck) is too high and could cause a problem.
    Gate1.JPG
    Gate2.JPG
    Gate3.JPG

That's a serious setup, thanks for sticking up the pics!

Ya have everyone jealous now Parishlad :D

That's a serious setup, thanks for sticking up the pics!

No probs. The shed is a godsend. Makes life very easy and there's very little I can't do on my own......and safely!

Thanks! I'll have a look to see what I have. Not sure I have too many more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

No probs. The shed is a godsend. Makes life very easy and there's very little I can't do on my own......and safely!

Serious set up. It's something else no doubt.

I don't mean to find fault...... But.... I nearly got myself in trouble with a chain behind a gate like you've got there. It's not easy to remove with 800+ kgs of cow pushing it. A rope can be cut in a flash with a knife.
    Just something for ya to think about!

Serious set up. It's something else no doubt.

I don't mean to find fault...... But.... I nearly got myself in trouble with a chain behind a gate like you've got there. It's not easy to remove with 800+ kgs of cow pushing it. A rope can be cut in a flash with a knife.
    Just something for ya to think about!

You probably have a point but I think that as long as you release the chain before the head gate then shouldn't have a problem. Would only pull the chain across once cow is caught in head gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Thanks! I'll have a look to see what I have. Not sure I have too many more though.

Don't bother, went through all your previous posts and found most of them :-)

Love the efficiency of your design. Plan on building one in the next yr or 2 depending on this grant. I wouldn't be straying too far from what you have.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Cleaning water troughs Do it daily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Is that stainless? Why every day? You should put up a sign - 'No Sh1tting in the water'.

Looks pretty clean to me! Do you do it regardless of whether there's shlt in it or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Looks pretty clean to me! Do you do it regardless of whether there's shlt in it or not?

There's always a bit of silage etc in tanks. I don't like dirty delph.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Thousands of water protesters hate you!

Do you throw the tea down the sink if the top of the biscuit falls in? :)

I like red ones!

Are they all due to calf Limestone?

Are they all due to calf Limestone?

There's a few heifers in it that aren't bulled. The cows are going out another month to 6 weeks I'd say. Have the earlier calving ones in a different bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

There's a few heifers in it that aren't bulled. The cows are going out another month to 6 weeks I'd say. Have the earlier calving ones in a different bunch.
    The grey one at the back is probably the most expensive to run:rolleyes:

Nettleman wrote: »
    The grey one at the back is probably the most expensive to run:rolleyes:

Ya, I actually had it up on the lift yesterday seeing what it needed for the test, wouldn't feel putting 500 quid into it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bought this lady for 1100 in Feb 13 outside a mart.. She has calved 3 no. Charolais bulls in 24 months ! Wish I'd get few more of them

photo_zpse95aff62.jpg

Advertisement