Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

When you say 'outside a mart', was the trailer heading in or out? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

What bull is the calf off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Another set of double trouble. First calver nice small calves just sliped out. Bull & a heifer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

When you say 'outside a mart', was the trailer heading in or out? :rolleyes:

Heading out .. Older man cutting back she was making 1000 in ring and he was asking 1200.. Cow was dead genuine 680kg at the time and very easily fleshed as I had intented to get a calf out of her and kill

tanko wrote: »
    What bull is the calf off?

Fiston FSW ... Great big lump of a calf when I stand him up .. Better than LGL lad she had last year I'd say

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    Fiston FSW ... Great big lump of a calf when I stand him up .. Better than LGL lad she had last year I'd say

Thanks, Fiston seems to be the business from what I've heard alrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

FSZ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Bought this lady for 1100 in Feb 13 outside a mart.. She has calved 3 no. Charolais bulls in 24 months ! Wish I'd get few more of

Very content looking there bod

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Another set of double trouble. First calver nice small calves just sliped out. Bull & a heifer.

What AI company does the straws from which the calf comes out tagged?

Seriously though, I thought the calf was supposed to be dry before you tagged it for the Bvd test? Fine stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

ford 5600 wrote: »
    What AI company does the straws from which the calf comes out tagged?

Seriously though, I thought the calf was supposed to be dry before you tagged it for the Bvd test? Fine stock.

Lol, not sure to be honist, between calving in work and here it's just handy to do them straight away as they'll get put on the long finger and I'll be trying to catch calves a month old to do them. Iv not had any problems so far (touch wood)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Kjb bull calf born Jan 27th, getting out for a few hours now on dry days, hope to start letting him suckle twice a day to get her bulling ASAP

http://imageshack.com/a/img909/5377/bPsgak.jpg

Thanks, Fiston seems to be the business from what I've heard alrite.

photo2_zps0e1e9b52.jpg

photo1_zps263a6068.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

photo2_zps0e1e9b52.jpg

photo1_zps263a6068.jpg

Fine calf, have 2 right good cows in calf to him but won't be calving until the end of July. I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Kjb bull calf born Jan 27th, getting out for a few hours now on dry days, hope to start letting him suckle twice a day to get her bulling ASAP

http://imageshack.com/a/img909/5377/bPsgak.jpg

Have used Kjb on a pbr cow, due Later in the year, hope it turns out as good!!! When will u be bulling the heifers you bought in Gort last year?

Have any of ye used On Dit (ONI)? Have a couple of cows close to calving him. Any idea of calving difficulty?

Fine calf, have 2 right good cows in calf to him but won't be calving until the end of July. I'm looking forward to seeing what they produce.

I'd say his calving figures may go up though as I had a decent pull with the jack with this buck ! But he should be a good calf next oct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Have any of ye used On Dit (ONI)? Have a couple of cows close to calving him. Any idea of calving difficulty?

Havent used him, would like to. Supposed to be very good on milk etc. no use to you on your question but can I ask one of my own:D where did you get the straws and how much were they !!! Good luck with them

Got a few straws of the limousin society, think they were €32 each. I'm hoping for a few heifers.

FSZ calf born Dec 1st. Good shape and ahead of his comrades in growth rate.
    4WJqzr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

just do it wrote: »
    FSZ calf born Dec 1st. Good shape and ahead of his comrades in growth rate.
    4WJqzr.jpg

what weight you think he his?? is he eating any crunch

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »
    what weight you think he his?? is he eating any crunch

Not a great judge on weight so I won't guess!

They're on .75kg of beef but for last ~6wks and come in and out to quality grass as they want. Cows were on 1kg nuts until breeding ended 3-4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

They're on .75kg of beef but for last ~6wks and come in and out to quality grass as they want. Cows were on 1kg nuts until breeding ended 3-4 weeks ago.

Is he 150 kgs. 40ish kgs at birth and 1kg a day since or would he have done more than a kg/day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is he 150 kgs. 40ish kgs at birth and 1kg a day since or would he have done more than a kg/day.

I'd say a lad like the could be closer to 55/60 kg at birth . Serious animal JDI

I had an LGL calf bull born last week. I'd love to weigh him, serious weight. I still haven't tagged him, but I reckon it will be a struggle to get hime in the calf crate. Only saving grace for the cow was, she is huge herself. It was a good hour before she stood up after calving.

Has the cow lots of milk as well. Its well worth giving them better quality calves a bit of meal early on they really put the weight and shape on very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

limo_100 wrote: »
    Has the cow lots of milk as well. Its well worth giving them better quality calves a bit of meal early on they really put the weight and shape on very quickly

^^ Couldn't agree more with this. It really pays to push a quality animal like jdi's above. An extra 1.5 kg meal could add half kg dlwg. Spend 40 cents and get back €1.50 per day

I wonder will FSZ calves stay small ? ICBF data seems to be saying that anyway. Not the kind to keep beyond the weanling stage.

Weight - probably 150kg but that's a guess. Would need to weight him but weighing scales is down the wish list at the minute. Get one weighing per year out of Gene Ireland so that has to do - around the 6m mark.

Cow is milky and there is no doubt the meal helps. They're on good quality grazing as well though. Quality stock need to be fed to reach their potential. Meal will be reduced and cut out when cows get to grass. Get some now really helps them get onto meal at weaning time as well.

Weight - probably 150kg but that's a guess. Would need to weight him but weighing scales is down the wish list at the minute. Get one weighing per year out of Gene Ireland so that has to do - around the 6m mark.

Cow is milky and there is no doubt the meal helps. They're on good quality grazing as well though. Quality stock need to be fed to reach their potential. Meal will be reduced and cut out when cows get to grass. Get some now really helps them get onto meal at weaning time as well.

couldnt agree more, u'd see cattle in the mart and the old joes would tell you o them cattle are layered with meal that really pisses me off running other people stock down and when there cattle come in layered in meal they tell you my cattle never got a like of meal i often felt like rotting them lads with a kick up the hole. anyway back to my point meal used properly at the the right times is worth its weight in gold, theres no point in having continental cattle if your not going to use concentrates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

I have a fsz heifer, weights at 3 months and was gaining 1.6kg per day. Super heifer, but maybe a bit too beefy...now 10 months and touching 400kg. very little meal-might bull her as mother had plenty of milk

Advertisement