Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Nettleman wrote: »
    Super heifer, but maybe a bit too beefy.

No such thing! That would be like a dairy lad describing a heifer as 'too milky!" :)

But I know what you are saying. She'd be one a lad would like to try fatten instead of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Muckit wrote: »
    No such thing! That would be like a dairy lad describing a heifer as 'too milky!" :)

But I know what you are saying. She'd be one a lad would like to try fatten instead of bull.

Id say hes more worried about getting a calf out of her more so than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

3 attempts and a lot of swearing later and she finally discovers what a real teat is. Vexing job to be at!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

3 attempts and a lot of swearing later and she finally discovers what a real teat is. Vexing job to be at!

You'd want the patience of a saint sometimes but great when it gets going eventually.
    P.S Don't hear the word 'vexing' too much nowadays! Reminded me that my grandfather was often vexed by something or other. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

3 attempts isn't too bad , will the cow stand without being tied for him ?
    Three weeks was the longest I had to spend trying to get a bitch of a ch heifer to suck a cow and it didn't work in the end . I had to bucket feed her and got a wh bull that took straight away

• Advertisement

Parishlad wrote: »
    You'd want the patience of a saint sometimes but great when it gets going eventually.
    P.S Don't hear the word 'vexing' too much nowadays! Reminded me that my grandfather was often vexed by something or other. :)

I am almost permanently vexed by something or other :rolleyes: I'd get in trouble if I had used more day to day words :D

Bullocks wrote: »
    3 attempts isn't too bad , will the cow stand without being tied for him ?
    Three weeks was the longest I had to spend trying to get a bitch of a ch heifer to suck a cow and it didn't work in the end . I had to bucket feed her and got a wh bull that took straight away

Ya, she's a sociable auld cow to be honest. Tied her to the gate in the shed and milked her this morning and yesterday and she never lifted a leg. 3 attempts is long enough to be at it. She'd suck anything but the cows tit.

Ya, she's a sociable auld cow to be honest. Tied her to the gate in the shed and milked her this morning and yesterday and she never lifted a leg. 3 attempts is long enough to be at it. She'd suck anything but the cows tit.

The most frustrating job ever when the calf isn't helping

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I've a bull calf born on Monday morning, the cows bag is a bit low and the fecker keeps aiming too high.had to milk her and bottle biestings into him, no problem sucking a bottle, a finger or anything but the teats.
    He's as strong as a ditch and I've been wrestling with him twice a day, eventually got him to suck her last nite in the crush. Pure torture, you'd want serious patience for that job. Not good for a bad back either.
    The next lad that starts whinging to me about how mad/crazy/ridiculously "dear" cattle are supposed to be will be lucky if he doesn't get a belt:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Pure balls when the calf is trying to back out as you're trying to get it to latch on. You'd want a strap around his arse to keep him forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Pure balls when the calf is trying to back out as you're trying to get it to latch on. You'd want a strap around his arse to keep him forward.

I find it easy to stand right behind the calf pressed into him to push him forward and then lean over the calf. If you've a bad back you're screwed though :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Kovu wrote: »
    I find it easy to stand right behind the calf pressed into him to push him forward and then lean over the calf. If you've a bad back you're screwed though :pac:

You know your positions Kovu, fair play.

That's how I do it too, not great for the back alrite. Also you wouldn't want to forget to wear rain bottoms or your jeans could be wet and/or a bit smelly if the calf lets one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

tanko wrote: »
    That's how I do it too, not great for the back alrite. Also you wouldn't want to forget to wear rain bottoms or your jeans could be wet and/or a bit smelly if When the calf lets one go.

Fixed that for you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

What gets to me is the lively calf that will wrestle you like mad and just will not drink, even with the tit in his mouth and you miking it at the same time. In the end you say 'f**k this' and head out the door, only to turn around and there he is, drinking away. That hunger switch just to go on in their head.

What gets to me is the lively calf that will wrestle you like mad and just will not drink, even with the tit in his mouth and you miking it at the same time. In the end you say 'f**k this' and head out the door, only to turn around and there he is, drinking away. That hunger switch just to go on in their head.

There's alot to be said for leaving them to their own devices ! Hunger is a great sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Nice set last night. The White BB is a beauty.

First On-Dit (ONI) calf 3 days old sucking on his own at last. Was really hoping for a heifer, five bulls out of six calvings for her now. All good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

First On-Dit (ONI) calf 3 days old sucking on his own at last. Was really hoping for a heifer, five bulls out of six calvings for her now. All good anyway.

Can see why you would want a heifer, great looking bag on her and I'd guess she would give no bother calving, what's her breeding (where did she get all that milk from?)

Can see why you would want a heifer, great looking bag on her and I'd guess she would give no bother calving, what's her breeding (where did she get all that milk from?)

The cows sire was a half limousin (Epson) x half CH (hari kari) bull and her mother was a CH x He cow with plenty of milk. She's never had any trouble calving alrite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

The cows sire was a half limousin (Epson) x half CH (hari kari) bull and her mother was a CH x He cow with plenty of milk. She's never had any trouble calving alrite.

Did you use hari kiri much. If so what did you think. We used him a lot one year, must be 15 years ago and the cattle he produced was savage. Tried to use him the following year and ai man said he couldn't be got. He recommended Mogador at the time but I didn't think he was a patch on hari kiri from what he produced

I think there was three or four calves off him here, very good calves iirc. We kept one of a CH x BWH cow, put the lim EPN on her, kept the bull calf and used him to bull all the cows one year, (the cow above is one of his calves).

Hari kari was highly regarded when he was about as far as I remember.

....Hari kari was highly regarded when he was about as far as I remember.
    Hollowtree Nicolas (HWN) was a great bull too. He was by Hari Kiri too.

Tanko - What did the ONI (On-dit) straws cost you? Expensive straws for a commercial cow, no?

The On Dit straws cost €32 each, got 5 of them and will have 4 calves hopefully. I got them as a bit of an experiment I suppose, that bull has serious figures on paper anyway and has lots of sons in Ai now.
    I do my own Ai , sure it costs €30 to get an Ai tech to inseminate a cow.

No wonder that cow was huge, the bull calf is bigger than an average calf by himself. Cow calved 10th April last year so she's almost a month ahead of herself as well. Very happy :)

kGSiVxem.jpg

XPI7Vgum.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

No wonder that cow was huge, the bull calf is bigger than an average calf by himself. Cow calved 10th April last year so she's almost a month ahead of herself as well. Very happy :)

kGSiVxem.jpg

XPI7Vgum.jpg

How is the cow for milk. What's she by? That looks to be a fine calf

RobinBanks wrote: »
    How is the cow for milk. What's she by? That looks to be a fine calf

Cow has lots of milk, decided to leave both calves on her instead of bucket feeding one. Dairy nuts twice a day will do her the world of good.

Breeding goes back to our milking days, her granny was a red british friesian and her mum was off PTT. She herself is off the lim bull Paco who was super for milk as well. One thing we've always tried to keep in the replacements is milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

25 month old sim heifer with ZLT bull calf a few hours old

25 month old sim heifer with ZLT bull calf a few hours old
    Fine looking heifer, what's her breeding? Nice square calf too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Fine looking heifer, what's her breeding? Nice square calf too.

She's a German, bought her as a drop calf and bucket fed. She'd be a milky strain of sim called fleckvieh from a German dairy herd. That is as much as I know about her breeding. You can't really see in the pic's but she has a serious bag of milk for a heifer of her age. I have a few of them and they have worked out well so far with the exception of one freemartin.

Advertisement