Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Muckit wrote: »
    You sure? Look closer....... you can see the sadness in their eyes !!

Sim No1 is unhappy because he has a raggy ear.
    Sim No2 is full of woe because his ears are too small to flap the flies away and his eyeliner is gone wonky.
    Sim No3 is sorrowful because his colouring would be nicer on a heifer but they don't do ops for bullocks yet.
    WH No1 is dejected because the black bullock gave him a black eye.

Black bullock is happy out ta fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    You sure? Look closer....... you can see the sadness in their eyes !!

Haven't been in a shed in their life's.

Kovu wrote: »
    Sim No1 is unhappy because he has a raggy ear.
    Sim No2 is full of woe because his ears are too small to flap the flies away and his eyeliner is gone wonky.
    Sim No3 is sorrowful because his colouring would be nicer on a heifer but they don't do ops for bullocks yet.
    WH No1 is dejected because the black bullock gave him a black eye.

Black bullock is happy out ta fúck.

Ahem.....WH, WH, FR, WH, AAX

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ahem.....WH, WH, FR, WH, AAX

Close enough with phone resolution :p

Close enough with phone resolution :p

Cheap phone :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Bulling a few of these to calve down at 24 months. First time trying the 24 month calving but I don't think size will be an issue. At a guess I'd say they are 450kg easy.

I be putting her to grass she make 1600+ next December on a hook.
    Reggie. wrote: »
    Nice and happy

Second one will/would struggle in a mart

Second one will/would struggle in a mart

Ai but be another year before he sees a mart. Might improve abit by then

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

The watched kettle boiled. A nice APZ heifer. hopefully a keeper.
    20150319_145304_zpscncg7i9s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I have one APZ calf. A bull - typical. Nice square calf though.

Another popped here today as well, just at 295 days to KJB, surprising big.

She's a keeper already, mother is the most consistent breeding cow we have, every year she'll bring a bull to 450kg+ at 10 months.

rEuRr17l.jpgu3uWZVdl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I have one APZ calf. A bull - typical. Nice square calf though.

Seems to be always the way, hard to get heifers off the cows you want. Three cows calved to On - Dit now. Four bulls between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

She's a keeper. I'd get over €2000 springing down for her if I sold her but I'll hold onto her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I be putting her to grass she make 1600+ next December

She'd make the bones of it around me at the moment to run with a bull. Ridiculous imo but that's what there running at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

If your investing in a girl to run with the bull and keep for 10 years all going well it's worth the extra few bob IMO. A GOOD breeding heifer is always worth more than beef price.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Had to throw up a few photos of this monster while he was standing (he fell down a few seconds later)
    Will be 48 hours old at 11.30pm. Sectioned.
    From a bull by a fella a few miles down the road - Tonroe Eminem S2139, Dovea Charlaois bull.
    He had 40 calves off him over 2 years. Only one section, not many hard pulls. Calving diff is 9.61% but only 61% reliable.
    Mom is a Lmx - Rocky.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

Seaba wrote: »
    Had to throw up a few photos of this monster while he was standing (he fell down a few seconds later)
    From a bull by a fella a few miles down the road - Tonroe Eminem S2139, Dovea Charlaois bull.
    He had 40 calves off him over 2 years. Only one section, not many hard pulls. Calving diff is 9.61% but only 61% reliable.
    Mom is a Lmx - Rocky.

ive seen 6 month old weanlings not much bigger than him

looks like a new shed built over existing pens and crush ya?

ive seen 6 month old weanlings not much bigger than him

looks like a new shed built over existing pens and crush ya?

Yep.
    Nothing passes the eagle eyed boardies!
    Put up over the autumn. Safety reasons mostly - we have a lot of small sheds/barns but if anything went wrong there was little room in them. Calving gate was put in the far section of the crush, God send, don't know how we operated before. €9,650 but got €1,100 approx back on VAT

Mom is a Lmx - Rocky.

Balls. Could have jinxed the calf.
    Just had Vet out. Calf breathing very heavily.
    Vet said no pneumonia, he is just too big for his young lungs. Said don't stir him, try and keep him in upright position, no stress, try and buy him a few days to develop. Touch and go he said.

Always found those section calves very rough with the breathing for a few days as the fluid isn't squeezed out of them. Hope he gets better for you, best thing you could do was get the vet so just keep an eye on him.

Balls. Could have jinxed the calf.
    Just had Vet out. Calf breathing very heavily.
    Vet said no pneumonia, he is just too big for his young lungs. Said don't stir him, try and keep him in upright position, no stress, try and buy him a few days to develop. Touch and go he said.
    Put him up against or on a small bale of straw/hay

• Advertisement

Always found those section calves very rough with the breathing for a few days as the fluid isn't squeezed out of them. Hope he gets better for you, best thing you could do was get the vet so just keep an eye on him.

Just had a look there (Dad checked during the night) - he's dead. Balls.
    Too much pressure on lungs, Vet said he was worried it would result in a heart attack.
    You think when they get to 2 days, he was stomach tubed so got plenty of colostrum, his eyes/head were lively, they stand a good chance
    Sickened but as Mam says as long as it's (death) is outside the door, life goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just had a look there - he's dead. Balls.
    Too much pressure on lungs, Vet said he was worried it would result in a heart attack.
    You think when they get to 2 days, he was stomach tubed so got plenty of colostrum, his eyes/head were lively, they stand a good chance
    Sickened but as Mam says as long as it's (death) is outside the door, life goes on!
    sections are a fook up, hope cow is ok. He was a monster of a calf

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Just had a look there - he's dead. Balls.

Jaysus Seaba, that's rough, you did everything you could have done, straw bedding, safe and comfortable calving area, vet on site, bestings- Its hard to accept but I was always told when you have livestock, there will be deadstock, despite doing all the right things. That's Nature. Maybe see if you can get another calf (or two) on that cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Seeba, sorry to hear that. What did the Vet mean by too much pressure on the lungs? Too much fluid still in there was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

ah pity, fine calf

Seeba, sorry to hear that. What did the Vet mean by too much pressure on the lungs? Too much fluid still in there was it?

I suppose all Vets have their own way of saying it but he said it was like having a big, heavy car with a weak engine inside, or indeed a heavy man/woman who has trouble breathing. He said he can suck the air but is having trouble getting it out again. He said that will in turn put pressure on the heart and a heart attack is likely.

A shame but when you do all you can you don't feel as bad. If we found him half out the cow or something we'd have been kicking yourself.

Looking back Dad did try to lift him and get him standing, another Vet said to use a bale of hay to get him standing but you could see him panting like an athlete after finishing a marathon after it - maybe we should just have let him be. That's only nitpicking though - there was very little pulling/dragging.

Again, if it was one of the children or family.....

Just had a look there (Dad checked during the night) - he's dead. Balls.

Ah crap, so sorry to hear that, especially as you tried so hard with him. Will mother be for road or will ye put a calf on her? Looks to have a nice bit of flesh on her as she is.

Ah crap, so sorry to hear that, especially as you tried so hard with him. Will mother be for road or will ye put a calf on her? Looks to have a nice bit of flesh on her as she is.

In the past we might have tried a calf on her but I am working and Dad is nearly 80, so I doubt we'll do that. From a business point of view if we are not doing that we should fatten her and off to the factory, but it's not always about the money, so since she is extremely quiet I'd say we'll bull her again and keep her!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

In the past we might have tried a calf on her but I am working and Dad is nearly 80, so I doubt we'll do that. From a business point of view if we are not doing that we should fatten her and off to the factory, but it's not always about the money, so since she is extremely quiet I'd say we'll bull her again and keep her!

Real pity to lose a super calf like that. If the cow is quiet and you want to keep her would it not be better to try a calf on her. Have you a neighbour or friend who might give you a calf to try and if it didn't work take the calf back?

She seems to have plenty of condition on her already. If you let her go dry and keep her on to bull again it'll be hard to keep flesh of her and summer mastitis could be another problem. A few quid along with what she makes should buy a good young cow and calf hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Get the calf skinned and tie it onto another one. Give it a week or two and she'll be all over the new one without much hassle. It's not ideal but saves a lot of hardship.

Advertisement