Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Miname wrote: »
    Get the calf skinned and tie it onto another one. Give it a week or two and she'll be all over the new one without much hassle. It's not ideal but saves a lot of hardship.

Is there much to skinning a calf, I've never seen it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

tanko wrote: »
    Real pity to lose a super calf like that. If the cow is quiet and you want to keep her would it not be better to try a calf on her. Have you a neighbour or friend who might give you a calf to try and if it didn't work take the calf back?

She seems to have plenty of condition on her already. If you let her go dry and keep her on to bull again it'll be hard to keep flesh of her and summer mastitis could be another problem. A few quid along with what she makes should buy a good young cow and calf hopefully.

Agree 100% but Dad will not let go of a quiet cow and since he will be 80 next birthday and does so much with the cows at calving you can't blame him. You wouldn't know what you would buy in.

Get the calf skinned and tie it onto another one. Give it a week or two and she'll be all over the new one without much hassle. It's not ideal but saves a lot of hardship.

Calf gone to knackery so no go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

skinned a few lambs in my time, cant imagine it'd be more awkward than that

Cheers for all the advice, comments and sympathies guys. Don't want to hijacked a photo thread with my 'troubles'. Thanks again.
    Happy calving!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

The knackery will do it or there's a lad up whelans direction that some of the lads go to. I'd a loss calving on Wednesday morning. I bought a calf for thecowstraight away and locked the cows head in the gate. Ratchet strapped her leg back and let the calf in. Had to do it yesterday aswell. You can imagine my delight when I landed today and the cow standing for the calf sucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

seen a fella keep the afterbirth in bag after dodgy calving to throw over different calf he could purchase from neighbour, to fool cow into thinking its hers, dont know if it worked or not but he said it does. ive put in calf in with cows in darkend house and stood by them, done in milking parlour successfully, but cows in parlour have heads in locking rail so a bag is used to limit vision usually after a few days they accept them.

sandydan wrote: »
    seen a fella keep the afterbirth in bag after dodgy calving to throw over different calf he could purchase from neighbour, to fool cow into thinking its hers, dont know if it worked or not but he said it does. ive put in calf in with cows in darkend house and stood by them, done in milking parlour successfully, but cows in parlour have heads in locking rail so a bag is used to limit vision usually after a few days they accept them.

Any dairy animal I ever had round here seems to take to anything. You could stick a pig on them and they'd take to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

As disgusting as it sounds, I've done it about four times and it has never failed. Cow takes with Calf straight away. Hang the dead lad up on a winch and cut/peal away. Takes about half a an hour, fire a fist of lime on the inside of the skin to help to kill the smell. Go in home, have a shower and curl up in a ball and cry for a while lamenting what a monster you've become.

After a few days the stink will start. Cut it off when it gets hard, can injure the calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

fire a fist of lime on the inside of the skin to help to kill the smell. .

That's a really good tip, cheers. Iv spent fecken ages trying to trim every last bit of fat off a pelt to try and minimise the smell but never thought of lime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

As disgusting as it sounds, I've done it about four times and it has never failed. Cow takes with Calf straight away. Hang the dead lad up on a winch and cut/peal away. Takes about half a an hour, fire a fist of lime on the inside of the skin to help to kill the smell. Go in home, have a shower and curl up in a ball and cry for a while lamenting what a monster you've become.

After a few days the stink will start. Cut it off when it gets hard, can injure the calf.
    Have done it a few times aswell and it never failed. Disgusting job all the same, the auld lad does disappear when I do it!

That's a really good tip, cheers. Iv spent fecken ages trying to trim every last bit of fat off a pelt to try and minimise the smell but never thought of lime.

Necessity is the mother of invention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Skinning a dead calf. Video here;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlgbQ6ahCqk

What do you do with the tags? Do you leave them on the dead calf. The guy in the video leaves them on the skin. How do you work all this with the Dept? How do you register the death?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Skinning a dead calf. Video here;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlgbQ6ahCqk

What do you do with the tags? Do you leave them on the dead calf. The guy in the video leaves them on the skin. How do you work all this with the Dept? How do you register the death?

The guy in the video is working in a rendering/knackery faculity, so tags are take off after to send to dept. Lads that have to do this will leave ear on carcass of dead calf as he will still need to be collected by knackery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Two left to go. I hope the are all well finished this time next year. This is our ould lady, pet of the place. And she's good at throwing heifers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

MBP heifer calf arrived this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

MBP heifer calf arrived this morning

Nice looking calf. Wouldn't expect anything less from him. I have a month old heifer from him that is very shapely. Hopefully yours will turn out the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Nice looking calf. Wouldn't expect anything less from him. I have a month old heifer from him that is very shapely. Hopefully yours will turn out the same.

I've used him quiet a bit and he puts good shape and muscle into his calves every time. The only down side I see with him are his maternal figures with daughters milk being quiet low if you wer half thinking of keeping on a heifer or two. Having said that I had all bull calves from him last year. I might switch to KJB this year though and see how he goes.

Below are few MBP calves I've had in past. None of them got any meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I've used him quiet a bit and he puts good shape and muscle into his calves every time. The only down side I see with him are his maternal figures with daughters milk being quiet low if you wer half thinking of keeping on a heifer or two. Having said that I had all bull calves from him last year. I might switch to KJB this year though and see how he goes.

Below are few MBP calves I've had in past. None of them got any meal.

Great stock. Tanko mentioned that to me about his daughters but I reckon crossed with a good maternal cow they will be ok. Time will tell. Like you I will use KJB on one or two of the good breeding cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

A bit if breakfast. OAD 800 gms milk replacer.

Last grp home now for my brekky

• Advertisement

A bit if breakfast. OAD 800 gms milk replacer.

Last grp home now for my brekky

How easy is it to spot a calf with scour when feeding that quantity together? A calf not drinking was always the early indication for me, even though he could be at the teat.

How easy is it to spot a calf with scour when feeding that quantity together? A calf not drinking was always the early indication for me, even though he could be at the teat.

These calves are 5-6 wks old Well past the gander. Scour not an issue on OAD. Only getting 3 litres @ 800gm powder. Calf not full remove

Plenty of colostrum and in to OAD at 2 wks very little scour. All calves on ad lib milk till they go OAD One stress event at a time ie don't vacc and dehorn same day, don't let out and wean same day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

These calves are 5-6 wks old Well past the gander. Scour not an issue on OAD. Only getting 3 litres @ 800gm powder. Calf not full remove

Plenty of colostrum and in to OAD at 2 wks very little scour. All calves on ad lib milk till they go OAD One stress event at a time ie don't vacc and dehorn same day, don't let out and wean same day
    Must take ya a while to mix that with the whisk :D

It's hard to see but this one finally arrived. Of course I was in my Sunday best when she started and the wife got to see her first calf been born.

Here

Maybe kovu can stick them all together. Cheers

NxqSDnsl.jpgMQXhXi0l.jpg

Reggie. wrote: »
    Must take ya a while to mix that with the whisk :D

This is the job.

Mrs Frazz got sick of me complaining about whisking, picked this baby up in Aldi for €50. It's a great yoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Nice looking calf Miname and look at all that lovely straw! It reminds me of one time me & dad were away and a cow was calving. Mum told us afterwards that she hadn't a clue what to do so she encouraged the cow by telling her to push:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭mf240

Smashing calf. If your looking for the jug its under the calf!!!

mf240 wrote: »
    Smashing calf. If your looking for the jug its under the calf!!!

It's hard to see but she's smashing roan markings. I'm currently here defrosting beistings after I abandoned my attempts at milking her.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

This is the job.

Mrs Frazz got sick of me complaining about whisking, picked this baby up in Aldi for €50. It's a great yoke

Had an idea you used one of them but where's the hardship gone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

This is the job.

The double handle drill makes mixing a lot easier on the wrists. Plasters attachment is a must :)
    Although I have got lazy over the years and now use one of these. We rear a good few FR bull calves annually except for this year.
    http://www.wydaleproducts.co.uk/products/prod/8/MobileMilkMixer

Advertisement