Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Nice little lady from Saturday morning. Had to get vet though for first time in last 4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

893bet wrote: »
    Nice little lady from Saturday morning. Had to get vet though for first time in last 4 years!
    She is a lovely heifer and the type that I would go for.
    Best of luck with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Was watching this 2yo heifer for the last week waiting for her to calve. Checked her at 3 this morning and again at 6 and didn't think she had a notion, looked again at half 8 and she had calved and was as good as sucked out. Pity they aren't all as simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Our little arrival yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    Our little arrival yesterday

Nice colouring! Off the imports or did he keep them on after the trouble last year?

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Nice colouring! Off the imports or did he keep them on after the trouble last year?

Same situation as last year. Same cows and bull. Looks like trouble again this year. Had to fight to get this one out

Damn, hope they work out ok for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Funny how different cow and bull combinations bring different results.
    After the monster Charlaois calf we had a few days ago, which died, this BBx cow (DEP) has more muscle than the previous cow, the bull (LGL) on paper has more muscle also, yet this heifer calf is closer to a greyhound that a calf!
    Obviously delighted she is alive but the difference in the two calves is staggering.

Without going back to look at the other photo, wasn't the other cow a lot stronger boned and 'stouter' so to speak? Would lead me to believe the calf would (and did!) follow suit. As has been said often times, you can bend muscle when the calf is coming out but there's no chance in hell of bending bone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Reggie. wrote: »
    Same situation as last year. Same cows and bull. Looks like trouble again this year. Had to fight to get this one out

No exit room or to lazy to calve Reggie?

• Advertisement

Without going back to look at the other photo, wasn't the other cow a lot stronger boned and 'stouter' so to speak? Would lead me to believe the calf would (and did!) follow suit. As has been said often times, you can bend muscle when the calf is coming out but there's no chance in hell of bending bone!

Ya, the picture of the other cow made her look very well, and she is a good cow. The picture of this cow doesn't make her look as good as she is. This cow has more muscle but a different body shape I suppose. You would expect a lot better calf out of a muscular bull. But then again I heard LGL is a bit hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Was watching this 2yo heifer for the last week waiting for her to calve. Checked her at 3 this morning and again at 6 and didn't think she had a notion, looked again at half 8 and she had calved and was as good as sucked out. Pity they aren't all as simple!

Limestone, lovely outfit! What's the heifers breeding?

Seaba wrote: »
    Ya, the picture of the other cow made her look very well, and she is a good cow. The picture of this cow doesn't make her look as good as she is. This cow has more muscle but a different body shape I suppose. You would expect a lot better calf out of a muscular bull. But then again I heard LGL is a bit hit and miss.

Oh I'm not dissing that second cow in any way, she looks a nice long cow and I bet she'll put some of that muscle through to the calf. They're just two totally different animals, chalk and cheese. Have heard the same reports about LGL as well, think it was here actually! Never used him as our AI doesn't carry him.

Oh I'm not dissing that second cow in any way, she looks a nice long cow and I bet she'll put some of that muscle through to the calf. They're just two totally different animals, chalk and cheese. Have heard the same reports about LGL as well, think it was here actually! Never used him as our AI doesn't carry him.

Oh I know you weren't slagging off my Bluebell - kids named her that! They are different animals shape wise. Just surprised by the huge variation in calfs between two good cows and 2 good Charlaois bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just wanted to say I'm loving the photos of the calves.. Great looking stock there folks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Limestone, lovely outfit! What's the heifers breeding?

She's out of our old limo stockbull and a black whitehead cow, she made a huge stock for a heifer before she calved. She's a bit plainish herself but hoping she'll breed well, she should too...in theory :rolleyes: if only breeding was an exact science.

No exit room or to lazy to calve Reggie?

Was on duty when it happened so couldn't tell ya. FIL only said it was an awful job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Seaba wrote: »

I've cows here that have thrown different types of calves to the same bull over the years . It's just whatever way the genes click. There's a friend that does a lot of embryo transfer. He showed me six heifers one day an said what do you think. There was one exceptional heifer that was miles ahead of the rest and they ranged back to a very poor one. He then told me they were all born the same day to the same cow and same bull. There were so many different traits within these animals it was impossible to believe.

Miname wrote: »
    I've cows here that have thrown different types of calves to the same bull over the years . It's just whatever way the genes click. There's a friend that does a lot of embryo transfer. He showed me six heifers one day an said what do you think. There was one exceptional heifer that was miles ahead of the rest and they ranged back to a very poor one. He then told me they were all born the same day to the same cow and same bull. There were so many different traits within these animals it was impossible to believe.

I suppose you could say the same for humans.
    While my brother and I look alike, he clearly got the short straw looks wise. My beard and 'tache are much nicer than his :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I'm picturing a hairy faced, tattooed redhead with wellies and a baseball cap waving their arms round gangster style while dissing cows in a field of rushes somewhere in Leitrim. Ps and she's just after ripping the heart out of some poor Angus heifer.

• Advertisement

Miname wrote: »
    I'm picturing a hairy faced, tattooed redhead with wellies and a baseball cap waving their arms round gangster style while dissing cows in a field of rushes somewhere in Leitrim. Ps and she's just after ripping the heart out of some poor Angus heifer.

Ehhhhh..........I'd love to say you're wrong but it's close enough :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yum yums time

I'll take the one with the star, third from the right. To be delivered by my birthday for being a lovely girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Muckit wrote: »
    Yum yums time

Lovely heifers muckit in great order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Yum yums time

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Yum yums time

Fine stock there Muckit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Their in great condition Muckit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Yum yums time

Super stock Muckit. Fair play! What ages are they? Weight would you say?

Has anyone else noticed the white CH a harder animal to finish? They need plenty of time. Now that one one in the photo ain't up to much anyways. She'II never grow frame like the others. I thought the golden CH X LM were a good animal but now thinking CH X SIM are a step ahead.

• Advertisement

AP2014 wrote: »
    Super stock Muckit. Fair play! What ages are they? Weight would you say?

Not being smart but they are a mix of ages and weights. Some of the best ones there are only 24mths and up on 650kg I would say. The wh ch could be 530-540kg and 28mths. Just goes to show.

Advertisement