Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Kovu wrote: »
    Illegal ;)
    Would you like a wing? There's one of those left too.....

Ah I'll turn your foot into a keyring, dry it out and you can live on in my handbag!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Ah no, have full respect as they're beautiful creatures when you manage to get a glimpse of them. Had a family of three reared here last summer and they've lost the shyness associated with the breed so we see them a lot.

Pine martens are a thousand times better than mink anyway!

Beautiful creatures indeed.
    You being a Cat woman should like them. Cat crainn.
    Amazing reproduction cycle too. Delayed implantation.

Beautiful creatures indeed.
    You being a Cat woman should like them. Cat crainn.
    Amazing reproduction cycle too. Delayed implantation.

How you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    How you mean

Their breeding season is late summer but the fertilised egg remains dormant to spring. Correct me if I'm wrong on that Genghis.

Their breeding season is late summer but the fertilised egg remains dormant to spring. Correct me if I'm wrong on that Genghis.

That's about it alright. Mate in summer but egg not implanted until the following Jan, young born about this time of the year with the best of the year ahead of them to give them the best chance of survival.
    Badgers and Otters are the same. It's a clever evolutionary strategy.

• Advertisement

That's about it alright. Mate in summer but egg not implanted until the following Jan, young born about this time of the year with the best of the year ahead of them to give them the best chance of survival.

That's the job alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

take a look at kangroos repo cycle, they can pause the development of a foetus at different stages

ganmo wrote: »
    take a look at kangroos repo cycle, they can pause the development of a foetus at different stages

Yeah, an odd one alright. From memory, pregnant, one attached in the pouch, and suckling another.
    Still though, they're rare in Offaly :-)

Yeah, an odd one alright. From memory, pregnant, one attached in the pouch, and suckling another.
    Still though, they're rare in Offaly :-)

is there any in ireland?
    maybe down in fota

is there any in ireland?
    maybe down in fota

Dublin zoo

• Advertisement

Dublin zoo

not the last time i was there

not the last time i was there

Really. Been a while since I was there but they had them alright. Them dubs would eat anything :D

Really. Been a while since I was there but they had them alright. Them dubs would eat anything :D

as long as its between 2 slices of bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

There's wallabies in Fota, don't think there were any proper Skippy's. Tasty though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

There was kangaroo on the menu in the Derragarra inn in Butlersbridge a while back, didn't try it tho.

tanko wrote: »
    There was kangaroo on the menu in the Derragarra inn in Butlersbridge a while back, didn't try it tho.

That's where they must have went to

There's wallabies in Fota, don't think there were any proper Skippy's. Tasty though :)

There's wallabies on Lambay Island off Dublin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Cow in one field calf in the other - no bother to this lady

photo_zps21839e13.jpg

photo_zps7b79cd4e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had this lump last night, cow calved herself but the calf had enough of it got all the same, head is a bit swollen. Some calf though, had an awful job to lift him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Had this lump last night, cow calved herself but the calf had enough of it got all the same, head is a bit swollen. Some calf though, had an awful job to lift him.
    Some lump all rite:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

What's the breeding of your bull LC?

tanko wrote: »
    What's the breeding of your bull LC?

Ionesco x fieldson alfy, all the calves were coming grand and handy up to this lad, they shape up then after a few weeks. Could do with a bit more growth overall but plenty of shape and muscle in them along with being fairly quiet for lims.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Reminds me of a story about a doctor that 60 years ago used to go out to deliver baby for one particular family. They used to be a bit of the heavy side 11-12lbs weight. When the baby would be delivered saftely the ould doctor would say ''Rashers and sausages for this one mam'' and then he weigh the baby.

However after the delivery of one male child doctor turned to the mother in the bed and said ''you can put the school bag on this lad''. He then proceeded to weight the lump he was just shy of 14lbs weight or so the story goes.

Reminds me of a story about a doctor that 60 years ago used to go out to deliver baby for one particular family. They used to be a bit of the heavy side 11-12lbs weight. When the baby would be delivered saftely the ould doctor would say ''Rashers and sausages for this one mam'' and then he weigh the baby.

However after the delivery of one male child doctor turned to the mother in the bed and said ''you can put the school bag on this lad''. He then proceeded to weight the lump he was just shy of 14lbs weight or so the story goes.

God bless the poor woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Bodacious wrote: »

photo_zps21839e13.jpg

photo_zps7b79cd4e.jpg

Is that a slatted castle or straw bedded castle you keep them in there Bod?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bodacious wrote: »

photo_zps21839e13.jpg

photo_zps7b79cd4e.jpg

You will have fun weaning that pair !

The intensive care unit for the night, damn you crypto!

The intensive care unit for the night, damn you crypto!

Long night ahead

Long night ahead

I have my bit done now. Brought her to the vet this morning and she tested a sample and it came up as crypto. Dripped her then and she gave me another drip to give to her this evening. Tubed 2lts with effydral tablets and a few spoons of glucose into her aswell and she has picked up an awful lot. Couldn't stand this morning and she stood up and sucked my finger there a half an hour ago. Hopefully she's on the right side of it now. Calve almost all of them outside but had this lady and a few more in the shed for a few days around calving and any that were inside have got a bad enough dose of scour. No more calves going in there this year if I can avoid it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

I have my bit done now. Brought her to the vet this morning and she tested a sample and it came up as crypto. Dripped her then and she gave me another drip to give to her this evening. Tubed 2lts with effydral tablets and a few spoons of glucose into her aswell and she has picked up an awful lot. Couldn't stand this morning and she stood up and sucked my finger there a half an hour ago. Hopefully she's on the right side of it now. Calve almost all of them outside but had this lady and a few more in the shed for a few days around calving and any that were inside have got a bad enough dose of scour. No more calves going in there this year if I can avoid it!!
    your right there,much healthier outside if the weather is ok,hopefully she's ok

Advertisement