Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Before & after pics of a really bad dock infested field I sprayed two days ago with high load. Cheers for the tip pudsy I wouldn't have thought of high load. At €10 AC it's definetly payed for itself.

Up at an old bosses place. He has a good few pb ch that he imported from France years ago and will only keep full French blood lines. This girl is around 8 and had twin bull calves. She is one of the finest cows iv ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Before & after pics of a really bad dock infested field I sprayed two days ago with high load. Cheers for the tip pudsy I wouldn't have thought of high load. At €10 AC it's definetly payed for itself.
    is high load mircam a new spray, used it last year on reseeds and was happy enough with it, used it a few weeks ago on reseed again havent been up to look at results there yet

whelan2 wrote: »
    is high load mircam a new spray, used it last year on reseeds and was happy enough with it, used it a few weeks ago on reseed again havent been up to look at results there yet

Not sure tbh Whelan I'm not well up on sprays but I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Up at an old bosses place. He has a good few pb ch that he imported from France years ago and will only keep full French blood lines. This gird is around 8 and had twin bull calves. She is one of the finest cows iv ever seen.

She is a serious cow , what have her previous calves sold for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Robson99

Done 2 fields earlier in the week. One with hi load micram, same results as pics.
    Done other one with prospect [ clover safe ], seems to have had no effect whatsoever on the docks. Maybe needs more time

Bullocks wrote: »
    She is a serious cow , what have her previous calves sold for ?

He's a bit of a divil for keeping to many but he got €7000 for a bull from her two years ago. I'll get the name of the bull she's by agin but he was saying the straws he has left of him are worth over a K now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

He's a bit of a divil for keeping to many but he got €7000 for a bull from her two years ago. I'll get the name of the bull she's by agin but he was saying the straws he has left of him are worth over a K now!
    smasing cow,has she enough milk for the 2 calves?

High bike wrote: »
    smasing cow,has she enough milk for the 2 calves?

Ya hard to see by the pics but she has more milk than sum of my sims. She's a smasher. Most of his French girls are very very good millers and really change a lads mind about CH haveing no milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Robson99 wrote: »
    Done 2 fields earlier in the week. One with hi load micram, same results as pics.
    Done other one with prospect [ clover safe ], seems to have had no effect whatsoever on the docks. Maybe needs more time

Some sprays work from the top down and appear to kill off quick, others(likes of roundup) go to the root and kill on the way up

Having said that did a field with eagle
    before(same as prospect) and might as well have p***ed on them, did the field beside it with doxstar the same day, 2 years on the one done with doxstar has very little of them, the eagle one needs a serious spraying this year

• Advertisement

Zr105 wrote: »
    Some sprays work from the top down and appear to kill off quick, others(likes of roundup) go to the root and kill on the way up

Having said that did a field with eagle
    before(same as prospect) and might as well have p***ed on them, did the field beside it with doxstar the same day, 2 years on the one done with doxstar has very little of them, the eagle one needs a serious spraying this year
    tried Gallop last year on docs with great results

Ya hard to see by the pics but she has more milk than sum of my sims. She's a smasher. Most of his French girls are very very good millers and really change a lads mind about CH haveing no milk.
    have a few nice Charolais heifers out of Angus and limo cows and wondering should I take a chance and bull em?

High bike wrote: »
    have a few nice Charolais heifers out of Angus and limo cows and wondering should I take a chance and bull em?

What is their dams like? If the dams are fairly good id chance on.

An ould lad once told me two ch spins are as good as 4 sim spins. How much truth is in that I don't know.

Sum cows appear to have little milk but are always producing it. You see at times their calves are as big as a calves with dams and lots of milk visually. Iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

I saw the wheel tracks yesterday and presumed that's what you had been doing. It didn't look as bad as that from the road. That's a bad infestation . I reseeded two fields in 2000. Ploughed them and then tilled it with a disc harrow. Where there had been 1 dock 10 grew. They chop up the roots and make a lot of dock plants. That field of yours was tilled with a disc last year and seems to have created a similar problem.
    I sprayed Eagle on one of those fields a number of years ago, at 1.5 times the recommende rate. It may be clover safe, but it is also dock safe . A waste of money , time and diesel. I did 2 fields myself on Thursday with Duplosan, and they were well wilted in 36 hours.

It's really bad down the back behind the hill. I'd say your right about the disc plus it never got a post emergence spray so that didn't help matters. It's a fecker spending time and money on a spray for it not to work.

I used forefrunt T last year around home and it's unreal good long term kill of weeds but it's around €30ac and can't be used on silage ground.

We let up that field for silage this year it's amazing what's after growing the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

It's really bad down the back behind the hill. I'd say your right about the disc plus it never got a post emergence spray so that didn't help matters. It's a fecker spending time and money on a spray for it not to work.

I used forefrunt T last year around home and it's unreal good long term kill of weeds but it's around €30ac and can't be used on silage ground.

We let up that field for silage this year it's amazing what's after growing the last few weeks.

Im a year behind you with FFT, -15 acres done-hope next years crop will be like yours, I don't mind expensive if you get results and for a number of years to get rid of all weeds including docs for 3 years would only work out at 10/acres-well worth paying it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I got well tested trying to bring this lad today, 5 minutes locked solid on the hips, was full sure he wasn't going to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I got well tested trying to bring this lad today, 5 minutes locked solid on the hips, was full sure he wasn't going to come!

Fine calf LG good to see him up after a hard pull as well .
    Our first calves are coming now from the bull we hired in last year , 7 born in the last week and no pulling needed even though a few were pretty big .

Bullocks wrote: »
    Fine calf LG good to see him up after a hard pull as well .
    Our first calves are coming now from the bull we hired in last year , 7 born in the last week and no pulling needed even though a few were pretty big .

I haven't pulled too many either but the last few have come fairly big. Sucked himself and all after that, surprised because he was doing some roaring when I was bringing him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Massive calf and well done. How is the cow doing?
    I would love to see a pic of him dried off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Limestone you have welters of calves. They are half reared coming.

Not exactly a farming related pic but I had to bring a FR bull calf back to the vet a couple of weeks ago. He couldn't stand properly on his front legs cause his knuckles were bending over. I put him in the back of the combo to bring him to the vet and when I got back the rotties decided that it was a nice place to chillax :)

Base price wrote: »

Cows grand, got up straight away and licked him. I'll try and get one later on or tomorrow, I have himself and the cow let off.

Limestone you have welters of calves. They are half reared coming.

Time of the year and feeding starting to show in them. I had no calves like them coming a month ago and to be honest I'd rather if they weren't coming like that now either. The less I have to intervene the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Not exactly a farming related pic but I had to bring a FR bull calf back to the vet a couple of weeks ago. He couldn't stand properly on his front legs cause his knuckles were bending over. I put him in the back of the combo to bring him to the vet and when I got back the rotties decided that it was a nice place to chillax :)
    Not to be messed with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Time of the year and feeding starting to show in them. I had no calves like them coming a month ago and to be honest I'd rather if they weren't coming like that now either. The less I have to intervene the better!

Would ya not hold back to oats and mix if straw and silage or do the cows in question need the extra bit to have enough bainne?

Would ya not hold back to oats and mix if straw and silage or do the cows in question need the extra bit to have enough bainne?

All the cows are out here, have no slats. Brought all the cows back from the winterage about 3 weeks ago and had the ones bear calving left beside the house on a field that had a small pick of grass on it. More feeding in that pick than I thought :rolleyes: they weren't getting any other feeding. Only have a few left now anyway that have always calved themselves so I'm not too worried. Had to pull the calf from the one yesterday the last three years in a row, bad cow to calf but a good cow to breed.

Here you go base price, wasn't it quick he got a scour!

Here you go base price, wasn't it quick he got a scour!
    He is a brute of a calf considering he is only a day old and bless him. I wouldn't be overtly concerned about the scour, just keep an eye on him. Often had calves on cows with a milky scour at this time of year especially if the nights were cold.
    Cow is a nice type, not overly big. What breeding is she - I guess lm out of a aax

• Advertisement

He is a brute of a calf considering he is only a day old and bless him. I wouldn't be overtly concerned about the scour, just keep an eye on him. Often had calves on cows with a milky scour at this time of year especially if the nights were cold.
    Cow is a nice type, not overly big. What breeding is she - I guess lm out of a aax

She's a lim out of a lim x Friesan I'd say. Not sure on that though because her mother was bought in but you'd know there's dairy blood in her. Have very few big cows, they fall apart if you put them to the winterage unless you start feeding them as soon as you put them in and calve nearly everything at 2yo aswell. That's her mother there in the pic.

Advertisement