Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I hope you've no use for that silage knife. I remember when I was about 5, the auld lad cutting the pit with one of those and forking into a transport box. Hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

She's a lim out of a lim x Friesan I'd say. Not sure on that though because her mother was bought in but you'd know there's dairy blood in her. Have very few big cows, they fall apart if you put them to the winterage unless you start feeding them as soon as you put them in and calve nearly everything at 2yo aswell. That's her mother there in the pic.
    That's a great lump of a calf,no wonder he got stuck at the hips,the width of him:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

High bike wrote: »
    That's a great lump of a calf,no wonder he got stuck at the hips,the width of him:P

And he doesn't look a fleshy calf. A big raw calf.
    He'll be a proper weanling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

All the cows are out here, have no slats. Brought all the cows back from the winterage about 3 weeks ago and had the ones bear calving left beside the house on a field that had a small pick of grass on it. More feeding in that pick than I thought :rolleyes: they weren't getting any other feeding. Only have a few left now anyway that have always calved themselves so I'm not too worried. Had to pull the calf from the one yesterday the last three years in a row, bad cow to calf but a good cow to breed.

Me thinks she is worth it so. Takes a bit extra watchin her in last few wks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I hope you've no use for that silage knife. I remember when I was about 5, the auld lad cutting the pit with one of those and forking into a transport box. Hard times.
    I remember using one :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

High bike wrote: »

Decieving hoor he was, brought the head with a small bit of pressure and just the ropes. The mother of that cow had a calf with the widest shoulder I have seen in a long time this year and calved herself.

Decieving hoor he was, brought the head with a small bit of pressure and just the ropes. The mother of that cow had a calf with the widest shoulder I have seen in a long time this year and calved herself.

We'd a brute of a Culard Ch last year with shoulders like that. They'd flap in and out. He couldnt walk for a few days, but came along the finest when he started to walk. You could push in and out his shoulders.

Ouch...

We'd a brute of a Culard Ch last year with shoulders like that. They'd flap in and out. He couldnt walk for a few days, but came along the finest when he started to walk. You could push in and out his shoulders.

Ya He's the exact same, his legs look awful twisted aswell but they might straighten as he grows. Actually hard to do it justice with a picture, the gap between his front legs is huge when you look at him head on. He wasn't going to get caught at the hips anyway once she got the front of him out :D

Tis left there with a few years now. Handy for splitting s bale if you want to fork it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

Tis left there with a few years now. Handy for splitting s bale if you want to fork it all the same.

Il show you a shoulder ha post 6318

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87093348

Ya He's the exact same, his legs look awful twisted aswell but they might straighten as he grows. Actually hard to do it justice with a picture, the gap between his front legs is huge when you look at him head on. He wasn't going to get caught at the hips anyway once she got the front of him out :D

He'll grow into his shoulders and the ligaments, tendons and muscles will all pull together. You won't know him in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

102_6106_zpsdniw2vys.jpg

IMG_0545_zpswzudr3n9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

If you ever get one with huge sholders at calving do ye shorten the rope on one leg to try pop out one side first?

Or I was told before to try turn the calf sort of sideways as there is more room at the exit top to bottem rather than side to side?

What tricks have ye got?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

My vet reckons there's three golden rules for getting big calves out.
    1 Lubrication
    2 Lubrication
    3 Lubrication

He uses a special gel as a lubricant, it's not cheap but he has great faith in it. Can't think of the name of it now.

tanko wrote: »
    My vet reckons there's three golden rules for getting big calves out.
    1 Lubrication
    2 Lubrication
    3 Lubrication

He uses a special gel as a lubricant, it's not cheap but he has great faith in it. Can't think of the name of it now.
    Oh I think your going to get some gel suggestions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Ann Summers has a sale on gels this week

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

KY jelly!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

If you ever get one with huge sholders at calving do ye shorten the rope on one leg to try pop out one side first?

Or I was told before to try turn the calf sort of sideways as there is more room at the exit top to bottem rather than side to side?

What tricks have ye got?
    If using the jack or just ropes, I try and pull on one rope and then the other, kinda going from side to side. An extra rope over the head and down dehind the ears and have someone else pull that too.
    Plenty of lubrication and try and get it in where you feel the calf is caught. You might have to push the calf back a bit to do this.
    The other big thing is to wait till the cow pushes before pulling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Base price wrote: »
    Oh I think your going to get some gel suggestions :D

What about this one? Says nothing about shoulders though....

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mJdAicSUhM3cLv_w2q2dA8A.jpg

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »

Out of your own collection is it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    Out of your own collection is it :D

How very dare you :D

Ya must have given her a bit of it too did ya :P

QCD twins, bull and heifer.

tanko wrote: »
    QCD twins, bull and heifer.

Pity that he aint a she :).......... But that's just being greedy. Lovely pair all the same.

Pity that he aint a she :).......... But that's just being greedy. Lovely pair all the same.

Yeah, I know but I dont expect anything else. The last time there was two heifer twins here was sixteen sets of twins ago. That cow is five years old and that's her fourth set of twins. She's well shook at this stage. I see she's a five star cow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

oh sweet Jesus (splashes holy water into eyes) how will I tell the auld lad to pick up a tube of that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

CBQ bull and MZT heifer, 6 weeks old

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

CBQ bull and MZT heifer, 6 weeks old

Some calf. Is he pure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

He is shaping up well alright. Yep pedigree.

Advertisement