Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

He is shaping up well alright. Yep pedigree.

Fair play, that's some calf. What's the long term plan for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

I'll sell him as a breeding bull next spring, but he might be a bit young. He is 5 star for terminal, that might make a difference now with this new suckler scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭50HX

I'll sell him as a breeding bull next spring, but he might be a bit young. He is 5 star for terminal, that might make a difference now with this new suckler scheme.

is it definitely the terminal and not the replacement star that counts for the new suckler scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

is it not either/or?

is it not either/or?

i.m confused Ted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFTgkibl7DU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

is it not either/or?

Ya it is.
    Also if your bull or straw drops ratings after you buy it dosnt matter. As long as they are 4/5* at time of purchase.

is it not either/or?

I think you're right. For farmers with a stock bull, at least one bull on the farm must have been genotyped 4 or 5 star on either the terminal or replacement index (within or across breeds) at the time of purchase. Farmers will have until the end of June 2019 to comply with this.

For the end of June 2016 80% of Ai used must be from 4 or 5 star Bulls on either the replacement or terminal index. (From the journal).

tanko wrote: »
    I think you're right. For farmers with a stock bull, at least one bull on the farm must have been genotyped 4 or 5 star on either the terminal or replacement index (within or across breeds) at the time of purchase. Farmers will have until the end of June 2019 to comply with this.

For the end of June 2016 80% of Ai used must be from 4 or 5 star Bulls on either the replacement or terminal index. (From the journal).

thanks for the info lads......what about this senario..

i use all AI..... the aul lad is a retired AI man and he keep a heap of straws when he retired.....no purchase record

does that mean i'm snookered....i had a look at the herd and i'm at 25% 4/5 star but i've no record of them being purchased

am i bate as they say??

50HX wrote: »
    thanks for the info lads......what about this senario..

i use all AI..... the aul lad is a retired AI man and he keep a heap of straws when he retired.....no purchase record

does that mean i'm snookered....i had a look at the herd and i'm at 25% 4/5 star but i've no record of them being purchased

am i bate as they say??

i'm all questions....

is it the breeding cow or the straw/bull that you use that has to be 4/5 star?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

If the bulls are well proven 4/5* work away you shouldn't haveto worry about proof of purchase. It's more for a newer bull not well proven that may drop as he gets more proven.

• Advertisement

50HX wrote: »
    i'm all questions....

is it the breeding cow or the straw/bull that you use that has to be 4/5 star?

It's both, by the end of October 2018 farmers must ensure that at least 20% of their cows/heifers are genotyped females that have 4 or 5 stars on the replacement index. This figure must increase to 50% by the end of October 2020.

There's no problem using the straws your aul lad has as long as they're 4/5 star Bulls, and if theyre not they can be used on the other 20% of your herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Grass growing on top of a mountain, rushes dead! Won't get a view like that in too many places.

Grass growing on top of a mountain, rushes dead! Won't get a view like that in too many places.

Some view alrite, what did you lick the rushes with?

tanko wrote: »
    Some view alrite, what did you lick the rushes with?

Gallup at 30:1, can't remember if it was September or October when I did them but it was late in the year anyway. Worked well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Is that Ballyvaughan in the background?

Is that Ballyvaughan in the background?

Close enough, Fanore, Connemara across the water then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

That ain't just any old mountain though! I was amazed a few years ago to see a meadow of grass up there very early in the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Close enough, Fanore, Connemara across the water then.

was that you i met in the green artic the other day ?

orm0nd wrote: »
    was that you i met in the green artic the other day ?

I don't know what your talking about so I'd say that's a no :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I don't know what your talking about so I'd say that's a no :D

artic truck with " Limestone Cowboy " signage logo

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    artic truck with " Limestone Cowboy " signage logo

Nope, definitely wasn't me!

Handy bit of a 2yo lim x shorthorn springer that calved Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

This has to be one of the coolest videos on youtube. What a place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

image.jpg1_zpspd9eyjyd.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsce7tyf2u.jpg
    LGL Bull calf. Out of LM x Ch She calved him no bother.

Had this lady Thursday evening, dunno where the white belly came out of! One more to go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Two yearlings (one Jan, one May) by RHF & CWI.
    ImIoAzfl.jpg

And a shapey little KJB heifer that'll come up for scratches in the field. These are all replacements, just the one cow in the field who placed herself next to me to have all her scratchy bits itched.

B9o25HAl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Balto (PT) bull calf born in Jan. Shaping up well but very leggy

9EDaOdUl.jpg

On-Dit twin Bulls, 5 weeks old. Pirate x BWH cow. Anyone any idea what the grey lad is worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Balto (PT) bull calf born in Jan. Shaping up well but very leggy

9EDaOdUl.jpg

January this year? Smashing calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

January this year? Smashing calf.

Ya this years calf. He is off a very small blue cow. Surprised he is so leggy.

Advertisement