Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Nettleman wrote: »
    youve have helped me make up my mind on two counts...Big SIM milky cows to get HCA as a trial to see if their heifers can get hip size / confirmation to make good replacements, along with hybrid vigour (LM & SIM) , and probably put RGZ or RIO on maiden heifers. lanky milky HE cows to get FSZ me thinks-hows temperament on the HCA heifers-theres a mindset block on red coloured cattle in the pubs around me !!!!

Temperament of HCA calves is fine I'd say but I think you're nuts to be putting him on cows, I'd only use him on heifers. OZS would be a far better choice for big milky Sim cows. I've never used ADX, he seems to be very popular and is supposed to be breeding well. KJB, ZCH, OKH, OGN might be other choices.
    I'm putting RIO on the heifers here this year, ZAG on young cows and Fiston on some of the older cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

tanko wrote: »
    FL22 heifer, HCA bull

Nice cross alright. Lively?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

mugsyy wrote: »
    Finally got this 4acre field sewed out after 3 years of work.
    About half it was under dense rushes and was very wet.
    Neighbour allowed me to go through his field to find an outlet for the water and piped most drains to it.
    It has dried up nicely despite the crap weather!!

Decided to fence it off when I had the digger there to drive the posts - bit of extra expense but done all the labour meself so only the materials to pay for.

Fingers crossed now the grass comes up soon!!

Great work mugsyy. Avoid poaching for a year or two and you won't know yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mugsyy

just do it wrote: »
    Great work mugsyy. Avoid poaching for a year or two and you won't know yourself ;)

agree. 2 years ago I faced up to the fact the ground around here just isn't suited to the heavy suckler cow so I had to waive good buy to all the ladies. They are grand on a dry year but in a year like the present one they just do too much damage
    Last 2 years ive been buying in lighter stores and selling at the back end and its working out nicely (in terms of the land anyway, me pocket is a different story)
    ive been looking at a smaller breed of suckler cow recently ie dexters but thats another days debate !!..

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

Yeah he's a fine calf, I've used HCA a lot and I'd say that's the best calf I've had off him. There's seven or eight generations of Ai breeding in him tho, his mother is off Highlander and his grandmother was a tank of an Angus x He cow that was about 750kgs. Most of the HCA calves I've had before didn't look like him. He's eight weeks old there.
    There's no doubt HCA is a good, consistently easy calving bull to use on heifers and breeds decent growthy cattle, his skeletal figure on icbf is rubbish.
    Progressive genetics are promoting him as a bull to breed replacements off but I wouldn't agree with this. His heifers have narrower hips than their mothers and don't have good calving ability.
    I've two heifers off him calved earlier this year and I'm not impressed with them. They have less milk than their mothers so far anyway. If you are looking for a good easy calving bull to use on young cows you could do worse than try OZS, he breeds stylish heifers with better muscle and conformation. According to reports from France he brings milk too.

Your questioning ICBF data on this bull? You have an eight week old calf there with no trace of a tag!

That's funny............

• Advertisement

Your questioning ICBF data on this bull? You have an eight week old calf there with no trace of a tag!

That's funny............

Yeah, it's hilarious alrite, I'm in stitches here. Take a look at his other ear, he even tested negative for BVD, mad stuff altogether. To put your mind at rest he'll get the other one soon enough. I've had enough HCA calves around here to know that most of his icbf stats don't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Nettleman wrote: »
    youve have helped me make up my mind on two counts...Big SIM milky cows to get HCA as a trial to see if their heifers can get hip size / confirmation to make good replacements, along with hybrid vigour (LM & SIM) , and probably put RGZ or RIO on maiden heifers. lanky milky HE cows to get FSZ me thinks-hows temperament on the HCA heifers-theres a mindset block on red coloured cattle in the pubs around me !!!!

Wouldn't use rgz on heifers . only problem calvings here this year were off him.super calves but Id be slow to use him on a heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Sunday brunch being served :)

20150607_104339.jpg
    photo hosting sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Youngest calf is shaping up very nice. Ba x sim that's mam in the background plain annof cow with good milk. She should be a cracker at the end of the summer hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

FL22 heifer, HCA bull

Who says you can't get quality from easy calving lines?

• Advertisement

I've never used ADX, he seems to be very popular and is supposed to be breeding well.

I'm a big fan of ADX. Very stylish calves with fantastic width in the hindquarters.

Probably best used on a taller cow because in my experience he isn't bringing much hight.

Who says you can't get quality from easy calving lines?

Very true, I'd love to get my hands on some FL22 and Highlander straws, both easy calving Bulls that bred super cattle.

Very true, I'd love to get my hands on some FL22 and Highlander straws, both easy calving Bulls that bred super cattle.

I only ever had one bad calf from FL22. Great bull. Did you use REQ? Got good cows from him

I only ever had one bad calf from FL22. Great bull. Did you use REQ? Got good cows from him

No, never used REQ, always used FL22 on heifers back then. Only have that red heifer left off him (she's quiet) some of them had docility issues but I'm well used to that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Since we are talking of ADX here is a nice replacement heifer calf we have off him.
    No where near as good as Mad4Simmentals heifer a few posts back but a nice one. (actually picture does her little justice as she has a lot better hindquarter)
    She is about 2 months old but has been on very bare pasture since day 1 as she and her mother are keeping a cow company that is due to calf soon as she is in-calf to a bull we had a section off a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Nice heifer to finish calving for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

rushvalley wrote: »
    Nice heifer to finish calving for the year

Is there shorthorn in the cow with that long head on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Kovu wrote: »
    Is there shorthorn in the cow with that long head on her?

Possibly. She was bought as a springer so don't know much about her breeding apart from being a CHX.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Some of this years maiden heifers. Last ones 21 days was today and no sign of anything bulling so hopefully all have held.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Some of this years maiden heifers. Last ones 21 days was today and no sign of anything bulling so hopefully all have held.

Super stuff Antrim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Very nice stock. Best of luck with them. Did you go lim bull to them? The big girl to the front must be 600kgish?

Very nice stock. Best of luck with them. Did you go lim bull to them? The big girl to the front must be 600kgish?

All PB, used a variety of straws on them. Tonka, Neuf, Hawk, Sympa, Alfy. I reckon she's probably shy of 600kgs although her mother was a big cow and she looks like she's heading that way. Average around 17 months for that batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

God you have powerful stock there AntrimG! The breeding is in them, but there must be proof in that Antrim grass also!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

that looks nothing like the rocky hills you previously posted pics off

nice stock, worth a few bob

The breeding is in them
    I can't take all the credit Muckit, tis the father that's big into his bloodlines as his passion.
    that looks nothing like the rocky hills you previously posted pics off
    Yeah Charlie that field can grow grass, there's a few lower fields we have here that will grow grass before anyone locally but up on the top part of the farm its at least a month later before it will even green up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Top notch heifers there Antrim. God, you never see anything of that quality for sale on Donedeal. Mind you, those for sale from NI always do look that bit better than those from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Mind you, those for sale from NI always do look that bit better than those from the south.

Bit like the cars! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Muckit wrote: »
    Bit like the cars! :)

the girls were always that bit more sociable as well;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Caught you in the act ye little raiding fecker :pac:

VhDNgG2l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

A picture of my hca bucket fed heifer calves, using pg zag this year, have eight AI,ed so hoping for 4 more heifers:D

Advertisement