Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Farrell wrote: »
    Suppose get factory quote, bring to the mart, if getting less than factory - transport to factory, it could pay to visit Ballyduff.

She'd lose a lot of weight in transport, back home, then back transporting again. An agent that's known for cows perhaps, if you know they're honest :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Kovu wrote: »
    She'd lose a lot of weight in transport, back home, then back transporting again. An agent that's known for cows perhaps, if you know they're honest :rolleyes:

An honest agent, is there such a thing?

Miname wrote: »
    An honest agent, is there such a thing?

I know a couple . But only cause I worked with them for years :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

On-Dit bull with his mother (TKO x OEI), 5 months old there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    On-Dit bull with his mother (TKO x OEI), 5 months old there.
    Nice. Is he purebred?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Nice. Is he purebred?

No, 90% lim with a bit of FR and HE in him. He'd be nicer if he was a she.

Our old muck spreader. We bought this second hand in the late 80's. A good wash and a bit of black oil goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Our old muck spreader. We bought this second hand in the late 80's. A good wash and a bit of black oil goes a long way.

Ya wouldn't think it was from the 80s. It's a credit to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Very well done on keeping her so fresh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

howard were great spreaders to through it out fast. had chains at four angles rather than just two angles on most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ya wouldn't think it was from the 80s. It's a credit to ya

Do ya wash after every use or when finished for the year and lather on the burnt oil inside the drum?

Do ya wash after every use or when finished for the year and lather on the burnt oil inside the drum?

We have used it every year since we got it. About 15 hours every year. It gets cleaned then with a power washer, allowed to dry, bearings greased and then the whole thing covered in black oil. The oil will stain in dry into it. I'm convinced that were it not for the oil, the whole thing would be well rusted by now.
    I replaced the bearings 2 years ago and last night I had to take a link of some of the chains as the weights on the chain ends were starting to touch the barrel. It's such a simple machine the only way it can fail is from rust.
    My uncle still tells me how he spotted it on the side of the road down in Cork and told my Dad about it. Farmer selling it wanted to buy a bigger one.

We have used it every year since we got it. About 15 hours every year. It gets cleaned then with a power washer, allowed to dry, bearings greased and then the whole thing covered in black oil. The oil will stain in dry into it. I'm convinced that were it not for the oil, the whole thing would be well rusted by now.
    I replaced the bearings 2 years ago and last night I had to take a link of some of the chains as the weights on the chain ends were starting to touch the barrel. It's such a simple machine the only way it can fail is from rust.
    My uncle still tells me how he spotted it on the side of the road down in Cork and told my Dad about it. Farmer selling it wanted to buy a bigger one.
    We've a large one here the FIL is selling on. Marshell 8 or 10m3 I think. Think he is mad to sell it on. Be shocking handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had this sight to greet me when I went herding yesterday evening. Had his back passage put out so had to get vet to put it back in and stitch it. Paralysed on a back leg aswell so still down :(

Had this sight to greet me when I went herding yesterday evening. Had his back passage put out so had to get vet to put it back in and stitch it. Paralysed on a back leg aswell so still down :(

The joys of farming in the Burren eh. How long do you reckon he was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

Hope he is all right . That's hard luck . Was it existing an hole or did it just open up under him

The joys of farming in the Burren eh. How long do you reckon he was there?

He could have been there with a day or two, sickner.

Limofarmer wrote: »
    Hope he is all right . That's hard luck . Was it existing an hole or did it just open up under him

It's a low lying bit of land beside the source of a stream and there are loads of holes like that in it where the water comes up through in a flood and feeds the stream. I have filled a lot of them with stones but new ones just open up then.

That's a right sinkhole right there

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

He could have been there with a day or two, sickner.

Hope he recovers for you Lc

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

Ah god I hate to see things like that happen! Just pure bad luck. Hopefully he'll come through it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

LC - How is the calf now. I hope he is rallying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

That's rough ,shocking stress on the animal,hope he's ok

High bike wrote: »
    That's rough ,shocking stress on the animal,hope he's ok

I don't like the firk of him now, eyes sunk and ears hanging. After giving him a feed of milk and eggs and he won't pick grass. If he's no better in the morning I think he's a job for the vet to be put down :(

Have you given him a dose of glucose? Might perk him up a bit.

Kovu wrote: »
    Have you given him a dose of glucose? Might perk him up a bit.

Ya I had, he was thrown over dying this morning so had to get a neighbour to shoot him.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Ya I had, he was thrown over dying this morning so had to get a neighbour to shoot him.

Sorry to hear that LC. It's very hard to see an animal go like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I reckon it's the shock that they don't recover from. Very hard to be looking at them suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Sorry to hear that LC it's hart breaking when something like that happens.

• Advertisement

Scrub clearing today before and after. 5C1D88AD-B313-4171-A8F0-74FB634FEF68_zpsqn7dxn7n.jpg 8F195550-832E-4FD3-A119-1816D79CAA3A_zpsa1ee8sme.jpg

Advertisement