Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

tanko wrote: »
    She has a decent bag of milk, she is off a cow that had lots of milk tho. I'll try and get a pic.
    You're a brave man putting a Vantastic son like GWO on heifers, is the heifer ok?

shes fine must get a pic of them tomorrow GWO is well proven as an average calver. I'll prob go charolais on her next. Iv calved 7 autumn calvers this year thought calves are big in general at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

GWO is hardly what you'd call an easy calver. He's in the bottom 10% of the breed for calving.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

GWO is hardly what you'd call an easy calver. He's in the bottom 10% of the breed for calving.

Hes an average calver 6.8% with 98% relability. Thats the kind of range im comfortable with for heifers tbh Iv calved 6heifers in the last six weeks and the bulls i used on them was OZS on a simmental and a blue, APZ on a char and KEZ on a lim and a black whitehead and that one last night, its just unfortunate that out of them six I got five bulls. I had an LZE second calver have a GKA bull calf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

OZS heifer, HCA bull (not a heifer unfortunately, must be going blind in my old age).

Today in Roscrea. Ammaghmore Jumbo a Haltcliffe Dancer son, 1st prize winner - €14,000.

So much for Star Ratings. Only one star for Replacement Index.
    https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/1161377824

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

limo_100 wrote: »
    Hes an average calver 6.8% with 98% relability. Thats the kind of range im comfortable with for heifers tbh Iv calved 6heifers in the last six weeks and the bulls i used on them was OZS on a simmental and a blue, APZ on a char and KEZ on a lim and a black whitehead and that one last night, its just unfortunate that out of them six I got five bulls. I had an LZE second calver have a GKA bull calf

How do you find the GKA calves?
    I've about 7 in calf to him. Have one off him on the ground off a very good blue cow and I'm disappointed enough in him so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Today in Roscrea. Ammaghmore Jumbo a Haltcliffe Dancer son, 1st prize winner - €14,000.

So much for Star Ratings. Only one star for Replacement Index.
    https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/1161377824

Patsy, he is 4 star across the breed for terminal so is suitable for new scheme. Dancer is producing some quality animals.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Patsy, he is 4 star across the breed for terminal so is suitable for new scheme. Dancer is producing some quality animals.
    Still for that money you'd expect him to have good replacement figures too. I've a feeling he went to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I take them sale prices with a pinch of salt. You don't know if he was sold previous for 7 and told to bid to 14 and I'll give you the rest back ect. It makes it easy to sell his future brother ect.

I think the big money for bulls allot of the time is out of the breeders yards.

I know feck all about Lims but I know the sale last year of the year before all the heifers came back to 4 bulls I think. Has that lad new blood or the usuall? I think the lim gene pool is getting small like the HE, they are getting very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

A lim bull Trueman Jagger sold for €212,000 in Carlisle last week apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

tanko wrote: »
    A lim bull Trueman Jagger sold for €212,000 in Carlisle last week apparently.

Wasn't he bought by a syndicate?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    How do you find the GKA calves?
    I've about 7 in calf to him. Have one off him on the ground off a very good blue cow and I'm disappointed enough in him so far.

I find him a good bull hes big and would want to be watched round calving time you will be needing a jack at hand, They have massive growth and savage timber under them with great width at the shoulder and good long backs he will increase length, If you were keeping stores he would be a great choice. hes the next best bull to new look iv seen. If you didnt know any better u'd say I was trying to sell him ha..... has anyone here used GPD??

https://twitter.com/progressivegen

The guy that bred and sold Trueman Jagger was in Roscrea today. Serious money alright. I would agree with above on the big prices. I'd take a lot of it with a pinch of salt too. Nice bull though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

I find him a good bull hes big and would want to be watched round calving time you will be needing a jack at hand, They have massive growth and savage timber under them with great width at the shoulder and good long backs he will increase length, If you were keeping stores he would be a great choice. hes the next best bull to new look iv seen. If you didnt know any better u'd say I was trying to sell him ha..... has anyone here used GPD??

Would he be any good for export?
    Nice looking bull alright

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I've two cows due to him in March on AI mans recommendation. He said he was producing serious calves but hard enough calved.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

rushvalley wrote: »
    MBP heifer born early March

Same heifer there at the weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

A new breed for you dairy boys. A Lineback cow I saw in Pennsylvania

Looks like a moiled crossed with a skunk....:p

Ah no, in all fairness it looks like a Randall, same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Are they related to the Glouchester dairy breed in England?
    You see them on adam's farm on countryfile.
    They look very similar.

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Are they related to the Glouchester dairy breed in England?
    You see them on adam's farm on countryfile.
    They look very similar.

Apparently there is backbreeding to Gloucester and Irish Moiled somewhere along the line

Farrell wrote: »
    Would he be any good for export?
    Nice looking bull alright

The calf in the pic or the bulls generally?? Id say you'd need a cow with shape if you wanted his stock for export but he has a nice bit of muscle to him but not in LGL or fiston league

croot wrote: »
    I've two cows due to him in March on AI mans recommendation. He said he was producing serious calves but hard enough calved.
    you wont be disappointed but just be watchful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Pedigree charolais bull calf by pirate out of lsp cow, three weeks old
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/717878/366922.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

I'll take the cow if they do a deal on the shed.

Very Grand Designs.

kowtow wrote: »
    I'll take the cow if they do a deal on the shed.

Very Grand Designs.

Haha! That was the marquee for the county show. Its a fair job alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Pedigree charolais bull calf by pirate out of lsp cow, three weeks old
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/717878/366922.jpg

Are pirate straws still to be got ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Contacted PG during the week & was told none available

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I bought four off a man a year or two ago on donedeal. I like pirate because its easy to sell the bulls on coz their handy enough calved . He can leave cattle a bit low in the shoulder if i was to find fault in him. There still in peoples pots but they would be getting dearer .

• Advertisement

For the mart tomorrow, both 5 1/2 months.

E2n0Ip5l.jpg

and a blue heifer
    SsHSPBtm.jpg

Advertisement