Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Kovu wrote: »
    For the mart tomorrow, both 5 1/2 months.

E2n0Ip5l.jpg

and a blue heifer
    SsHSPBtm.jpg

What will ye let the hammer drop at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

What will ye let the hammer drop at?

Five pairs of shoes and three handbags :D

Ah I'll be happy if the boyo gets 850/ 900, heifer is dads so away ta feck with her. Her dam is the full red next to her, she's coming 14 and I think it's 15 calves she's had, three sets of twins anyway. She brought back her calving from August to March over the last couple of years. Won't get rid of her easily despite her tendency to attempt murder every time she calves.
    She's also narky at the moment, caught me on upper arm with her horn and I've a bruise the size of my hand on it. :(

Have Maserati on the red whiteheads dam this year, maybe I should have stuck with Ch!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

I have a lovely MBP heifer of a purebred saler 1st calver from the Corlurgan herd i bought in.The mother hasnt any star rating due to back breeding in france.Mbp daughter is just one star therefore.Have enough 5 star heifers already so dont really need any more but i dont no what Mb would be like for keeping as a replacemnt.The heifer has the deep red colour like its mother so looks great but dont know if she'd be worth the risk?Anybody ever have Mbp daughters as cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I have a lovely MBP heifer of a purebred saler 1st calver from the Corlurgan herd i bought in.The mother hasnt any star rating due to back breeding in france.Mbp daughter is just one star therefore.Have enough 5 star heifers already so dont really need any more but i dont no what Mb would be like for keeping as a replacemnt.The heifer has the deep red colour like its mother so looks great but dont know if she'd be worth the risk?Anybody ever have Mbp daughters as cows?

I've had a few, just one here now. They are poor for milk even off milky cows.
    If you like her I'd keep her and give her a chance tho.
    Weanlings off cows with poor milk often catch up the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Did you sell kovu?

• Advertisement

IH784man wrote: »
    Did you sell kovu?

Ah don't talk to me, was like a bull this morning. Our herd is locked up as we're a couple of days over our test date, despite having a full clear test back in June or July. Even the receptionist in the vets couldn't believe how quickly they closed our herd, think the official date was to have it by the 24/25th Oct, shut the herd yesterday :mad::mad::mad:
    And we've never gone down with TB since testing started!

So now have a full herd test again on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ah don't talk to me, was like a bull this morning. Our herd is locked up as we're a couple of days over our test date, despite having a full clear test back in June or July. Even the receptionist in the vets couldn't believe how quickly they closed our herd, think the official date was to have it by the 24/25th Oct, shut the herd yesterday :mad::mad::mad:
    And we've never gone down with TB since testing started!

So now have a full herd test again on Tuesday.

why do ye have to have 2 within the year

why do ye have to have 2 within the year

First one was because a load of our neighbours were locked up, it was a contiguous test- had to have it and Govt paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

that's a sickner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

First one was because a load of our neighbours were locked up, it was a contiguous test- had to have it and Govt paid.

ha like something that would happen ourselves, we got a letter from the dept. Saying that there was tb in our zone? But nothing more happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ha like something that would happen ourselves, we got a letter from the dept. Saying that there was tb in our zone? But nothing more happened

Wonder I never got anything as a few neighbours went down over the years

We had the test booked for the second week of Nov, they can just about squeeze us in on Tuesday as the testing times are done up a couple weeks in advance. Best tell the cows to be on their nicest behaviour....

@Charolais0153, ya we normally never get anything if it's only one going down but I think we had seven or eight people in a mile radius go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Thank you Tanko,i might chance her and put her in calf to a saler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

An ATG bb heifer born this morning, 2 days over but cow calved herself fine. Photos aren't great but a broad enuv calf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

tanko wrote: »
    On-Dit bull with his mother (TKO x OEI), 5 months old there.

Tanko how did your oni heifer calves go on?? are you happy with the quality of oni calves in general??

limo_100 wrote: »
    Tanko how did your oni heifer calves go on?? are you happy with the quality of oni calves in general??

Had four Bulls including twin Bulls and only one heifer off him, the heifer is off a cow with poor milk and doesn't look great at the moment but I'm hoping she'll come good yet.
    I would be happy with them overall and I will use him again next year. I think you need plenty of muscle in the cows you use him on. Here's the twin Bulls earlier in the year from a Pirate cow.

Sold the grey lad for €500 at six weeks old, the cow did a good job on the red one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Had four Bulls including twin Bulls and only one heifer off him, the heifer is off a cow with poor milk and doesn't look great at the moment but I'm hoping she'll come good yet.
    I would be happy with them overall and I will use him again next year. I think you need plenty of muscle in the cows you use him on. Here's the twin Bulls earlier in the year from a Pirate cow.

Tanko, does he bring height to the equation , I have a efz heifer who is will muscled but abit vertically challenged. Was planning on using him on her and another pbr heifer. Nice stock btw.

theres notting wrong with that heifer she must be 300kg roughly shes well marked she should make a good looking cow anyway. I think i'm going to use him on a few second calvers. Hes the only limousin bull high in the replacment index with milk and high reliability. would i need size or does he bring it to the mix

theres notting wrong with that heifer she must be 300kg roughly shes well marked she should make a good looking cow anyway. I think i'm going to use him on a few second calvers. Hes the only limousin bull high in the replacment index with milk and high reliability. would i need size or does he bring it to the mix

That's a bull unfortunately, I think he will bring size and height to the mix. I wouldn't be afraid to use him anyway, should be a good bull to breed replacement heifers off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Mid April born heifer and her mother to be weaned at the weekend. She actually looked a lot better a month ago, gone a small bit hungryish in herself. No meal fed yet. BA29F12C-571B-4F7F-B4B3-94CADED5A7B8_zpsp0jtdxwt.jpg

A couple of year and a half breeding heifers, must get round to talking the horns off the dark red, don't know how she missed the dehorner. DB071E38-1EB8-489F-B532-217D2AF17AB2_zpsxt8vkuws.png

And you'd wonder why the troughs are bent and twisted every way. BD4C1C72-B5BB-4E13-9F81-CD8DFF22387B_zpsbllqym97.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

We use Eurogene. The bull we use most is probably ABI. He breeds super stuff for us. Equalizer is good too, but not easy calved. We weren't happy that they had a very easy calving Lim for very beefy heifers so bought straws of Dubai THZ for that job. They have since got Suc au may YSM, so we've tried him.
    genghis how did suc au may work out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

Dancer heifer

Finally got to let the weanlings out of the shed the other day, looking a lot better for it. 2D025B70-FEDC-4820-81FE-7078D1784DE2_zpspez3ho92.jpg

Finally got to let the weanlings out of the shed the other day, looking a lot better for it. 2D025B70-FEDC-4820-81FE-7078D1784DE2_zpspez3ho92.jpg

Whats your plan for them are they out now for the winter?? will you give them any feeding I often leave out small stock on nuts alone

Whats your plan for them are they out now for the winter?? will you give them any feeding I often leave out small stock on nuts alone

Ya, they will be getting about 2.5kg a day. Have enough grass for them for a month and will have to feed silage aswell after that.

Meeting to discuss IFA crisis

• Advertisement

Meeting to discuss IFA crisis

The fella on the right has a weird coloured arse!

Advertisement