Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Kovu wrote: »
    The fella on the right has a weird coloured arse!

Yeah, she has alrite. She's off KJB, her mother and grandmother were the same.
    It comes from an old Ai CH bull called Barracks Dukakis (BSK). His calves had those white tails a lot.
    Mother is off Highlander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, she has alrite. She's off KJB, her mother and grandmother were the same.
    It comes from an old Ai CH bull called Barracks Dukakis (BSK). His calves had those white tails a lot.
    Mother is off Highlander.

Very strange, never seen anything like those before, bar the 'skunky' calves we used to have.
    Limo Lady in the back left looks good there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah, she's a nice heifer. She's off OZS, mother was off EPN.
    She's in calf to RIO.
    The other black one is off OZS and in calf to RIO also.

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, she's a nice heifer. She's off OZS, mother was off EPN.
    She's in calf to RIO.
    The other black one is off OZS and in calf to RIO also.

Nice ;) Dry land to still have them out!
    Weighed that heifers calf today- 59kg. Blue bull for her next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Got her dirty today. Easy job to shove a few bolus down their neck now and replace a few missing tags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Got her dirty today. Easy job to shove a few bolus down their neck now and replace a few missing tags.

Head scoop a great job! You've a nice heifer there. Whats she by? Have you her in-calf?

RD10 wrote: »
    Head scoop a great job! You've a nice heifer there. Whats she by? Have you her in-calf?

Ya they are a gift. She's pbnr sim, she's Knockane mussel master X Ballyduff Prince.

She had a set of ba twins last feb and is due in feb to our sim bull this year. She'll be a nice cow with bags of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Tidy looking job. Where you get it and how much if you don't mind me being nosey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Nice ;) Dry land to still have them out!
    Weighed that heifers calf today- 59kg. Blue bull for her next year!
    Why a BB & not an easy calving CH?

Farrell wrote: »
    Why a BB & not an easy calving CH?

Cause I love blonde/blue crosses. Her dam also bred big and I never put a ch on her because of it. I'd also take muscle over bone if trying to squeeze one out of her :)

• Advertisement

Tidy looking job. Where you get it and how much if you don't mind me being nosey?

Got the head gate and scoop from Gibney, scoop was €415+vat and the head gate was €440+vat
    Only used it for the first time today and it worked very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Life time job. No more f@cks or grazed knuckles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

Got the head gate and scoop from Gibney, scoop was €415+vat and the head gate was €440+vat
    Only used it for the first time today and it worked very well.

did you look at many of them? can one be got that can be removed when your finished with it?? also is it in the when letting the cattle out or do you use the side gate for that??

limo_100 wrote: »
    did you look at many of them? can one be got that can be removed when your finished with it?? also is it in the when letting the cattle out or do you use the side gate for that??

Ya I looked at all of them at the ploughing and thought the Gibiny was the best. It's very tidy and it has allot of power with the ratchet set-up.

There is only 4 bolts holding that, so a few seckonds and it's whiped off. It will allow the gates to open and let cattle out the front no problem but I usually release them from the lock and let them back and then out the side gate, they seem to be way calmer doing it this way twords letting them out the front where all the drama happens for them I suppose.

Ya they are a gift. She's pbnr sim, she's Knockane mussel master X Ballyduff Prince.

She had a set of ba twins last feb and is due in feb to our sim bull this year. She'll be a nice cow with bags of milk.

She's doing alright if she's back calving in feb again. I find around my own farm here that twins dont slow them down too much as regards breeding back on time again. I always try to help them along with the few suckler nuts anyway.
    How did the ba twins do at weaning?

RD10 wrote: »
    She's doing alright if she's back calving in feb again. I find around my own farm here that twins dont slow them down too much as regards breeding back on time again. I always try to help them along with the few suckler nuts anyway.
    How did the ba twins do at weaning?

Ya she done grand but I did look after her a bit more for a few weeks after calving with a pick of meal ect. They didn't do to bad. One 250kg and one 280kg, they were the smallest calves but she done well for her first time at the job.

Ya she done grand but I did look after her a bit more for a few weeks after calving with a pick of meal ect. They didn't do to bad. One 250kg and one 280kg, they were the smallest calves but she done well for her first time at the job.

Not bad for a first timer. Had a simx second calver wean charlaois bulls at 7 months. One at 180kg and the other 270kg. Smaller bull was an awful scrawny yoke when he was born and never really came to anything. always came out second best at dinner time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Some crack this. I wonder would the local GAA do one as a fundraiser.:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Pure nutters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

It would have been some crack if one of them got badly hurt. I have no time for this crap.
    Now I hunt and shoot and love to eat what I've caught or shot but there quick clean kills. I have no time for people who torment or torture animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

ALANC81 wrote: »
    It would have been some crack if one of them got badly hurt. I have no time for this crap.
    Now I hunt and shoot and love to eat what I've caught or shot but there quick clean kills. I have no time for people who torment or torture animals.

He was a quiet bull , which is a pity cos I would like to have seen a few of them clowns sitting at the table getting well gored !
    It's awful crap to be putting an animal through and they sitting at a table thinking they are brave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Lads it's a bit of craic. It mightn't be the most PC or even safe but don't tell me you wouldn't be pumping full of adrenaline if you were sitting at that table. It takes all sorts to keep this world interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Miname wrote: »
    Lads it's a bit of craic. It mightn't be the most PC or even safe but don't tell me you wouldn't be pumping full of adrenaline if you were sitting at that table. It takes all sorts to keep this world interesting.

I wouldn't be pumping full of brains anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

Miname wrote: »

I don't see the craic in tormenting an animal.
    For me it's as bad as Spanish bull fighting. That animal gets tormented on a regular basis it's not just a once of. But as you say it takes all sorts.

Good enough to ring and train for sales? Never showed a bull at sales before.
    Born 15th May. Have a younger sister off the same bull and she's the spit of him, muscles everywhere. Not as quiet though.

5vSvr8Ll.jpg

5fS5Isul.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Good enough to ring and train for sales? Never showed a bull at sales before.
    Born 15th May. Have a younger sister off the same bull and she's the spit of him, muscles everywhere. Not as quiet though.
    I would say yes, but you know how it is. He could be standing at the sales with slightly bigger, slightly better looking animals beside him.
    What's his breeding?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I would say yes, but you know how it is. He could be standing at the sales with slightly bigger, slightly better looking animals beside him.
    What's his breeding?

Sire is ERE, so that's instantly against him as hard calving. But dam is a PAM out of a Navarin/Ulysse bred cow. Only reason I ask is because the man that bought a few weanlings off us this year was really interested in him too but I wouldn't sell him. He wants to see him again in the New Year before we do anything with him and I was going to ring him early Jan.

He has good length and a leg on each corner which are always good points to start with.
    When is the sale that you are aiming for?
    If its in spring then you need to get working now to have him in proper order and condition. As pasty said he will be standing with bigger & better looking bulls - of the same age ;);) that are twice the size of him. I would suggest that he needs to go onto straw bedding (to clean him up) and up his feed gradually to get power into him. Start the handling, grooming process soon so that he is well handled if you have not done so already. Has he been halter trained yet?

Base price wrote: »
    He has good length and a leg on each corner which are always good points to start with.
    When is the sale that you are aiming for?
    If its a spring then you need to get working now to have in proper order and condition. As pasty said he will be standing with bigger & better looking bulls - of the same age ;);) that are twice the size of him. I would suggest that he needs to go onto straw bedding (to clean him up) and up his feed gradually get power into him. Start the handling, grooming process soon so that he is well handled if you have not done so already. Has he been halter trained yet?

Haven't a sale planned yet, but will put prob him on a couple of ours first to make sure he's not firing blanks ;) So May perhaps, will see what's on around.
    He'll be going out into a few acres that are sorta dry and straw bedded pen first thing after Christmas. Handling has been done since birth so he's very docile, can scratch him and all, but not halter trained yet. Hard to gauge what he's eating at the moment as he's in the pen with creep access along with three other weanlings. All get about 5kg per day. So he could well be at 2/3kg of that as he's the biggest. I guess I should see how he cleans up before ringing him, could look entirely different off the slats.

• Advertisement

Haven't a sale planned yet, but will put prob him on a couple of ours first to make sure he's not firing blanks ;) So May perhaps, will see what's on around.
    He'll be going out into a few acres that are sorta dry and straw bedded pen first thing after Christmas. Handling has been done since birth so he's very docile, can scratch him and all, but not halter trained yet. Hard to gauge what he's eating at the moment as he's in the pen with creep access along with three other weanlings. All get about 5kg per day. So he could well be at 2/3kg of that as he's the biggest. I guess I should see how he cleans up before ringing him, could look entirely different off the slats.
    He will do better off the slats and with less competition for food.
    Since he is not halter trained I would try him with a big jim first for an hour or so every day, tied to a wall but keep an eye on him until he settles to it. You can put water pipe foam insulation stuff around to take the sting out if he pulls hard. Simular to a rubber V steel jointed snaffle.

Advertisement