Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Yea I know, just his mother isn't calving til April so didn't want her going overfat stuffing herself with silage!
    Haven't got a big Jim but normally train by having them in the crush at first getting used of handling and the rope being put on/off, before moving on to tying them up with a static knotted rope so they can't choke themselves.Then fire them out into the feed passage and let them run around like a lunatic with a long rope on. Usually train one every year so I'm not new to it! Normally train heifers though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Kovu wrote: »
    Yea I know, just his mother isn't calving til April so didn't want her going overfat stuffing herself with silage!
    Haven't got a big Jim but normally train by having them in the crush at first getting used of handling and the rope being put on/off, before moving on to tying them up with a static knotted rope so they can't choke themselves.Then fire them out into the feed passage and let them run around like a lunatic with a long rope on. Usually train one every year so I'm not new to it! Normally train heifers though :pac:
    The feed passage is a good idea. Never had one when I was training cattle.
    Personally I would not put him with cows/heifers in May to try him out as he will only be a yearling. IMO continental bulls don't reach any sort of puberty, common sense until they are 16mth +. If he was a FR or Je then I would fire ahead on small cows/heifers.

Base price wrote: »
    The feed passage is a good idea. Never had one when I was training cattle.
    Personally I would not put him with cows/heifers in May to try him out as he will only be a yearling. IMO continental bulls don't reach any sort of puberty, common sense until they are 16mth +. If he was a FR or Je then I would fire ahead on small cows/heifers.

We've had a couple become dads before they left the place at 10/11 months :D
    I'll see how he goes, how much would fertility testing be? Dad doesn't really want to bother doing much with him but I think he's worth more than commercial value so it's up to me to do all the work!

We've had a couple become dads before they left the place at 10/11 months :D
    I'll see how he goes, how much would fertility testing be? Dad doesn't really want to bother doing much with him but I think he's worth more than commercial value so it's up to me to do all the work!
    I wouldn't have a clue about how much fertility testing is nowdays.
    If you think he is worth putting the effort into for a show/sale then go for it.
    Although you said in an earlier post that a guy that bought some stock from you earlier this year was interested in him. You have an interested buyer so it maybe better to present the bull for him and forget about expanding your time, energy and money on producing him for a mart sale.

I wouldn't have a clue about how much fertility testing is nowdays.
    If you think he is worth putting the effort into for a show/sale then go for it.
    Although you said in an earlier post that a guy that bought some stock from you earlier this year was interested in him. You have an interested buyer so it maybe better to present the bull for him and forget about expanding your time, energy and money on producing him for a mart sale.

I'll have to think about it over Christmas :) He'd only be going for slaughter if I sold it to yerman and I think he has the makings of a fine bull. Dad of course disagrees so this is where I'm stuck!

• Advertisement

I'll have to think about it over Christmas :) He'd only be going for slaughter if I sold it to yerman and I think he has the makings of a fine bull. Dad of course disagrees so this is where I'm stuck!
    Your not in any hurry, get a trusted neighbour/friend to throw an eye over him and see what they think.

Your not in any hurry, get a trusted neighbour/friend to throw an eye over him and see what they think.

Aye, good few limo breeders in the area so might call in a favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had this little lady in the middle of the storm 2 nights ago. Lucky she was alright because I wasn't expecting her to calf for another few days and the wind and driving rain was awful. 1203AA43-77B2-4C12-8528-7C85AF87E4FD_zpsxcz8foal.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Had this little lady in the middle of the storm 2 nights ago. Lucky she was alright because I wasn't expecting her to calf for another few days and the wind and driving rain was awful. 1203AA43-77B2-4C12-8528-7C85AF87E4FD_zpsxcz8foal.jpg
    I had a surprise one this morning as well. It had to have been the smallest but liveliest calf I've ever had.
    I'd say 25-30kg maximum.

A bit happier looking today, 5* cow and heifer calf. BA7A77AB-C365-46A1-80B3-CA836FD8CA63_zpsloxlcwki.jpg

• Advertisement

She is a lovely cow. Not too big, nice depth, good deepset tail butt and a tight udder to boot.
    What's the calf by? One to keep?

She is a lovely cow. Not too big, nice depth, good deepset tail butt and a tight udder to boot.
    What's the calf by? One to keep?

Stock bull, time will tell I suppose. Not stuck for heifers for the scheme. First calf she had to the same bull turned out a cracker. Think he made €920 at 270kg. Don't like them calving this early, it's a long time until they will see a pick of grass and it takes a lot of feeding to keep them ticking over. I had to wean two September born calves a few days ago because they were starved sucking the cows. Started eating meal within five minutes of putting them in and haven't heard them roar once. Never seen the likes of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Stock bull, time will tell I suppose. Not stuck for heifers for the scheme. First calf she had to the same bull turned out a cracker. Think he made €920 at 270kg. Don't like them calving this early, it's a long time until they will see a pick of grass and it takes a lot of feeding to keep them ticking over. I had to wean two September born calves a few days ago because they were starved sucking the cows. Started eating meal within five minutes of putting them in and haven't heard them roar once. Never seen the likes of it before.

Is your bull back to full health?

tanko wrote: »
    Is your bull back to full health?

Ya the fella that got the pneumonia is alright. The young fella that had the wart on his road is gone very bold since I started feeding him though, I'm thinking he could be hanging before the summer cause he has the makings of a dangerous animal running with cows. Not one of my better investments.

A runt and a brute.

Here's 1

And the other

Miname wrote: »
    A runt and a brute.
    This pic will not open for me.
    Marked difference in size of the other two pics.
    Thankfully two live healthy calves. Did she calf both herself?

This pic will not open for me.
    Marked difference in size of the other two pics.
    Thankfully two live healthy calves. Did she calf both herself?

Two different cows the big lad is 58 kg the little lad I didn't even bother weighing but I'd say somewhere round 25-30kg when born.

Miname wrote: »
    Two different cows the big lad is 58 kg the little lad I didn't even bother weighing but I'd say somewhere round 25-30kg when born.
    Ah makes sense as I thought the big one was a bit on the big side to be a twin even along with the little fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

2 pbr Bulls born end of November/beginning of December. The lad of the left is by Kjb and the lad on the right is by Virginia Andy. Still waiting for their stars to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Some fleece of grass for the last few days of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I walked a few fields of our fields today and couldn't believe the grass that was in them. Never seen the likes of it for this time of year. Usually the grass is yellowish and dead looking. Today it was a lush green. When you think about it, temperatures were up in the high teens during all the wet weather.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Major heifer October calf

Weaning and training time!
    szgokv7l.jpg

And my oh my, we are not a happy chappie about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    2 pbr Bulls born end of November/beginning of December. The lad of the left is by Kjb and the lad on the right is by Virginia Andy. Still waiting for their stars to be updated.
    Fine calves, nice muscle to Andy but prefer KJB.
    Hope they go well for you.
    Will they be for the Spring 17 sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Major heifer October calf
    Lovely heifer, have you started training already?
    Does Major bring that Muscle or is allot from the Dam?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Weaning and training time!
    szgokv7l.jpg

And my oh my, we are not a happy chappie about it.

What age are them boyos. They're in good shape

dh1985 wrote: »
    What age are them boyos. They're in good shape

The 'boyo' on the left is missing a pair of something! She was born the start of June, other lad was the middle of May.
    Split them after that, then he got his head stuck in the gate. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

The 'boyo' on the left is missing a pair of something! She was born the start of June, other lad was the middle of May.
    Split them after that, then he got his head stuck in the gate. :rolleyes:

Thought they were both bulls when you had them together. Nice heifer for start of june. Nice width. What weight would you think she is.

Advertisement