Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Miname wrote: »
    They'll smell good too.
    Especially over a charcoal spit although they look like greyhounds ;)
    Delish to eat with salad and a nice glass of wine on a fine summers evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Great calf. What sort of dam ?

BBxFr for both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

BBxFr for both of them

Was it hard to get them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Was it hard to get them out?

Yes. Both were a struggle especially the ADX. He was a brute! and the same cow calved to him 2 years ago with a bit of a pull with the ropes.

I think feeding could have been an issue in both cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

calving just started , 3 heifers,off Lim bull, had heck of job getting them sucking, had to use locking headrail in parlour i am planning to rip out to make way for calving pens, calf would not suck without holding them to teats, cow wouldn' t standstill to let me up beside them, so locking headrail to keep her penned, had no problem previously with AA , Aubrack,, so on,,now thinking of putting in similar type of headrail to rectify similar problem in future,
    anyone got remedy for holding cows while calf training, suggestions welcome,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

sandydan wrote: »
    calving just started , 3 heifers,off Lim bull, had heck of job getting them sucking, had to use locking headrail in parlour i am planning to rip out to make way for calving pens, calf would not suck without holding them to teats, cow wouldn' t standstill to let me up beside them, so locking headrail to keep her penned, had no problem previously with AA , Aubrack,, so on,,now thinking of putting in similar type of headrail to rectify similar problem in future,

How about some nuts in a bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We use a calving gate along a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Crush with opening panels around the bag area maybe ?
    I'd be wondering why they weren't standing to be sucked and why the calves weren't sucking . Calving them is enough work without having to do too much of putting them sucking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have a crush with 4 pipes on the side. I slide back the lowest bar and I can hold the calf up then to suck the cow. A small bale of straw is great too. Just put the calf across it to save the back.
    How long were these calved? Often they don't get the hunger to suck for maybe 2 hours or so.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

no problems calving, rarely if ever keep tight check on them that way, i find fellas with calving jacks at ready too much to bear , some jump in as soon as blister shows, causes strain and other issues, however this is first time ive seen 3 in a row that ive had to train to suck and regardiit as ott,
    heard of inability to suck as being an indication of selenium deficiency, i know ive heard of it being associated with cows being irritable in parlours.
    ilike the suggestion of crush with gates at side , but im thinking of keeping a milking ability as an option and that could be matched. all suggestions appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

no problems calving, rarely if ever keep tight check on them that way, i find fellas with calving jacks at ready too much to bear , some jump in as soon as blister shows, causes strain and other issues, however this is first time ive seen 3 in a row that ive had to train to suck and regardiit as ott,
    heard of inability to suck as being an indication of selenium deficiency, i know ive heard of it being associated with cows being irritable in parlours.
    ilike the suggestion of crush with gates at side , but im thinking of keeping a milking ability as an option and that could be matched. all suggestions appreciated
    Theresdefinatel something lacking. limo calves are usually mad to suck. try topical iodine on the cows i think it acts fairly sharpish for any more calving. id a few similar a week or so back and anything since is getting extra seaweed and so far they seem a bit better.

just had anther one calved ,calf trying to suck already. the other cows were reluctant to let calves suck , they had not much milk and were silage fed only, so ive fed dairy nuts with last week, this one has a good sized udder,

Sandyman, As the postcard says - 'I saw this and thought of you'

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/suck-calves-for-sale-/11684370

Settling in

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Reggie. wrote: »
    Settling in

Fine looking calves Reggie. Best of luck with them!

Settling in
    Did you buy these from the north east? :cool:

Did you buy these from the north east? :cool:

Now now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Good 2 page article in the farming indo yesterday on calf rearing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Settling in

I'd settle in there myself, couldn't ask for better .
    They are nice square looking calves too

Savage calves for sucks no doubt. Must be out of great br fr cows with a bit of a north eastern twang :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,615 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »
    Savage calves for sucks no doubt. Must be out of great br fr cows with a bit of a north eastern twang :D
    no not from my herd, no aa calves born here yet this year.

More of a southern accent boi

We use a calving gate along a wall

any pictures of that, thinking of trying a modified gate in calving pen which has an auto skulling gate.
    locking headrail in parlour and bars at mid leg height give an option to spancil cow as well as good as crush gate with option to feed a ration to distract them , can milk them too if required.
    1 bb**th would kick the daylights out of ya until calf started to suck. calmed down then, other one kept arsing round in circles and calf was worn out almost.

Sandyman, As the postcard says - 'I saw this and thought of you'

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/suck-calves-for-sale-/11684370
    thyd have their heads kicked off or need hoof repairs to get to sucking 2 of my cows. last cow that calved were fine. had no problems with last 3 years with same cows, must be some thing in gales

any pictures of that, thinking of trying a modified gate in calving pen which has an auto skulling gate.
    locking headrail in parlour and bars at mid leg height give an option to spancil cow as well as good as crush gate with option to feed a ration to distract them , can milk them too if required.
    1 bb**th would kick the daylights out of ya until calf started to suck. calmed down then, other one kept arsing round in circles and calf was worn out almost.

Leave it with me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

10 day old heifer calf out of stock bull and Charolais cow. She'll be a good one yet. 5EB87660-ACF0-43C2-A51B-889CA4352749_zpsvklg2lwp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

1st of the year here 28 Jan so 6 weeks today,stq heifer off a simx cow

Nicely made at the back but is she going to be a bit short and butty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Jaysus one way to insult a mans stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Ah she'l grow when she gets plenty golden vale grass into her

Advertisement