Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

All just 11-12 months at the moment. I have ten there and was going to keep the 6 best of them. The ones I was going to keep are between 390-430kg at the moment I'd be guessing. Two handier ones around 350kg and two heavier ones I don't really like. I'll bull them the end of June and hoping for around the middle of April at calving. Tis time enough for springers around here.

You wouldn't put the other four in calf anyway and sell them as springers??

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

After a bit of searching eventually found this lady this am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Two heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭premier10

tanko wrote: »
    Two heifers?

No, bull and heifer limousine.
    Need to stand clear of heifer when taking a whizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

OZS first calver, RIO heifer calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    OZS first calver, RIO heifer calf.
    You can see the Stars from here.:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

My baby bruiser this evening.

SKfywXgl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

Kovu wrote: »
    My baby bruiser this evening.

SKfywXgl.jpg

you gonna keep him as a stock bull or sell him?

limo_100 wrote: »
    you gonna keep him as a stock bull or sell him?

Oh sell him, he doesn't cover us for the scheme with stars so couldn't keep him anyway! Might show him in a few months when he's over a year.

CPW calf off a big ch cow I pulled 3 weeks ago for a neighbour. Sorry for bad photo, he's not too enthralled about me wielding a rope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

CPW calf off a big ch cow I pulled 3 weeks ago for a neighbour. Sorry for bad photo, he's not too enthralled about me wielding a rope.

Time for some earrings and a bit of heat!:eek: No wonder he doesn't want to go near you!

Parishlad wrote: »
    Time for some earrings and a bit of heat!:eek: No wonder he doesn't want to go near you!

Ah I'm gentle on them :) He did himself no help trying to leap through the calf crate though. If I get any more cans of gas as gifts from farmers for doing their calves, I'll end up buying lighters just to use it up. Think I've got four full ones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Had a very busy Easter day. In the morning had one bull calf born. Cow calved on her own, calf strong and nursing quickly.
    015_zpsrq3obqrw.jpg

Had another cow started calving in the afternoon. She had her second calf. The first calf she had was a heifer, 51kgs birth weight, cow didn't managed to calve on her own, calf's rear got stuck.
    This time we were hoping for a better calving as she has grown more and already the second calving, plus the calf's sire was the same as the first time, so expecting the simmilar sze calf. However, her half sister from dam's side had 70kgs bull calf this year with a slight assistance, 292days gestation. This girl started calving on her 293rd day. We were quite worried. First let her to calve on her own, just watched from a distance, as she didn't wanted anybody close. In two hours she made almost no progress,just both hooves were seen. Have cought her and closed into the steel pen. Three people pulled the the half of the calf out, but it was hard. The calf got stuck, checked and it appeared that the calf's rear is abit wider than cow's birth canal. At first calf was alive, but soon he died. We wanted to save atleast the cow, so had no choise just to pull the calf with tractor. The calf was just abit wider, so pulled it quickly. The cow had uterine prolapse, it was already 1am, so weren't able to call to the vet. He wasn't picking the phone in the early morning too, so needed to call to another vet. That one came and fixed everything. The cow has problems standing, but luckily today she's already standing abit more.
    The calf's weight was 66kgs. If he was ~10kgs smaller we'd have had no problems pulling him. The cow will be culled when she'll get better.
    002_zpsrywmjdle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Glad that other calves are growing well.
    That's 2,5 months old bull calf, which birth weight was 70kgs.
    002_zpslrxfv5wy.jpg

9 days old 7/8Limo heifer.
    019_zpsjw0vp9ps.jpg

7 days old Limox heifer out of Herefordxdairy cow. She's ~10years old and that's her second heifer.
    012_zpsxablbgp4.jpg

The possible keeper. 1month and 9 days old heifer.
    023_zpswvscvyru.jpg

And a very good day for our new Limo bull, because he finally met his new girls- two 23months old heifers.
    009_zpsxbxik52z.jpg
    005_zpskymf5jfd.jpg
    003_zpsbqigpvmw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sultan heifer out of Angus cow

Masrrati heifer out of black limo

I'm intrigued by the your charolais name with the blue calves :p
    How was Maserati for caving? Have a sh/lm cow due to him and she's massive.

CWI bull out of Pam cow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

CWI bull out of Pam cow

He's not wanting for length anyway!

I'm intrigued by the your charolais name with the blue calves :p
    How was Maserati for caving? Have a sh/lm cow due to him and she's massive.

We had to give a small pull but she probably would have calved by herself if she was given more time but we were a bit anxious as she was a bit narrow. I like the charolais because we have purebreds . wait till tomorrow for a charolais or two

• Advertisement

He's not wanting for length anyway!

He's wanting for height tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

He's wanting for height tho

I'd rather them like that. Too many cattle way up in the air.

Wbh bull calf
    He is very correct. Is he good enough for a local show.

Wbh bull calf

Very nice, would he be a bit high in the back legs for show purposes though? (although it depends how competitive the locals are!)

Very nice, would he be a bit high in the back legs for show purposes though? (although it depends how competitive the locals are!)

I don't know sure . I said I'd ask the experts;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Wbh bull calf
    Nice calf. Is he on a cow and when is the show?

It would be normal for a calf to be higher on the rear. He will level up as he gets older. Better to have him high on the rear than on the shoulder ;)

Base price wrote: »
    It would be normal for a calf to be higher on the rear. He will level up as he gets older. Better to have him high on the rear than on the shoulder ;)

Ha, true. It's very difficult to gauge them when young, some lovely calves here over the years have turned to complete dogs as they got older.

Base price wrote: »
    Nice calf. Is he on a cow and when is the show?

Ya on a cow. I just let the calves out while it was sunny. Show is in June or July, I forget.

• Advertisement

Ya on a cow. I just let the calves out while it was sunny. Show is in June or July, I forget.
    He is going to change a lot by then. If you really want to show him you would be better off giving him nuts/crunch to keep condition on him. There is no point in going to the effort of halter training unless you are in with a shout of a prize otherwise you are only making up the numbers.

Advertisement