Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Young cow, just gone 2 years. She has sore eyes like this for well over 6 months. Any idea what it could be. I tried opticlox ointment last week but only improved for a day or two.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Young cow, just gone 2 years. She has sore eyes like this for well over 6 months. Any idea what it could be. I tried opticlox ointment last week but only improved for a day or two.

Maybe she's just sick of the sight of ya. :p

Well her calf isn't anyway. He comes straight up to me and uses me as a scratching post. I bottled him from birth cause mother had no milk for a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Could it be something in the silage/hay/bedding that she is allergic too. I presume that she has been housed indoors during the winter. Is her breathing effected too, nasal sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

get some mastitis tubes clear her up in a few days, give her one every 3-4days

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Could it be something in the silage/hay/bedding that she is allergic too. I presume that she has been housed indoors during the winter. Is her breathing effected too, nasal sound?
    I was thinking the same but she wasn't housed till early Feb. Had her out grazing off some dry ground. It looks like an allergy thing alright.

I was thinking the same but she wasn't housed till early Feb. Had her out grazing off some dry ground. It looks like an allergy thing alright.
    Sometimes bulls develop a type of sinus after been sculled and have a nasal discharge as well as white gunk in their eyes.
    Is there any clouding/haziness in her eye. Is it causing her any discomfort/irritation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Month old GJB heifer calf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »

I thought it said kjb and I almost had a heart attacj.

I thought it said kjb and I almost had a heart attacj.

Why would you have a heart attack, that calf was the biggest and heaviest one here this year, couldn't believe the size of it.

• Advertisement

The downside of no longer keeping sucklers is that I now have to look up bull codes to figure out what breed they are.
    Tanko - that is a smashing calf. The bull (gjb) has good length which imo is where the money is made on the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Why would you have a heart attack, that calf was the biggest and heaviest one here this year, couldn't believe the size of it.

I was expecting something like this. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057285534/128/#post95749561 (6th post down )she's a grand heifer no doubt but just a bit of a shock as you always have limos

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

orm0nd wrote: »

the wire snapped & wrapped around his chest, being the summer time all he had on was a light short sleeved shirt

Any wire is dangerous. A good pair of gloves and goggles or safety glasses a must. I always shove the end of the wire into the ground after winding it out.

I was expecting something like this. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057285534/128/#post95749561 (6th post down )she's a grand heifer no doubt but just a bit of a shock as you always have limos

She's had twins the last four years so i put an AA on her so it would be easy on her if twins again but she had that big lump, I think she's trying to kill herself!!!

Used to use AA a lot years ago, had plenty of R+ and some U grades off their crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Those GJB caves grow like mushrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

Those GJB caves grow like mushrooms

What would the heifers be like to keep as cows??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Updated pictures of some of the PB limousins born in the last few months.

Pic1 - Virginia Andy - Really impressed with him
    Pic2 - Brooklands KJB
    Pic3 - Milbrook Dartangan - Poor star on the maternal side and doubt she will have much milk with her vantastic breeding. (she's a cheekly lady though, managing to take a sneak drink from every cow that is with her.:D

Fine calves God bless them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Muckit wrote: »
    Fine calves God bless them!

If only God would bless us with some grass!!

Fairly bare around South Galway now.

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Same here. Ground burnt from the wind. I had a pile of bushes and was tidying them up. There was more grass growing in under the edges of the pile than anywhere else in field (sheltered).

I haven't an ounce of bag manure out yet. Watching a few of the neighbours fields that have it out a month and no go. So l don't feel too bad. We might get time next weekend.

• Advertisement

Updated pictures of some of the PB limousins born in the last few months.

Pic1 - Virginia Andy - Really impressed with him
    Pic2 - Brooklands KJB
    Pic3 - Milbrook Dartangan - Poor star on the maternal side and doubt she will have much milk with her vantastic breeding. (she's a cheekly lady though, managing to take a sneak drink from every cow that is with her.:D

Wait til you see that Virginia Andy calf once he hits meal and six months of age! Had one that surpassed all round her once she got feeding and is now almost the same height as her mother at 11 months.
    Wasn't surprised that his stars shot up like they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I feel your pain Mac, not a rib to be seen around here either and I could do with it. Plenty of cows thinner than I'd like after getting hammered with wind and rain all winter. Had the first 2 calves out of the young bull I bought last year last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

And the other, not small!

They've a whole field to lie in and yet they do this.
    Looks very relaxing though.....hmmm.

*Lies down with them*

DSC05522.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Going to keep these 3 for breeding
    89CB8E76-4289-49D3-9BD1-D8AD0462081A_zpsftujshmb.jpg
    3F001945-9189-471B-BDE6-04D0B909993C_zpsbph6d3pn.jpg
    The 1 on the right (top pic) is off CQA & a LLX dam born Mar 15,
    middle is a Jul 15 think FR off a UBY heifer that visited next door
    Left is a bought in May 15 LMX.
    Going to calve down the SI @ 24 months, in 2 minds on the Other 2, Calve April/May or Aug/Sept
    Any opinions?

Farrell wrote: »
    The 1 on the right (top pic) is off CQA & a LLX dam born Mar 15,
    middle is a Jul 15 think FR off a UBY heifer that visited next door
    Left is a bought in May 15 LMX.
    Going to calve down the SI @ 24 months, in 2 minds on the Other 2, Calve April/May or Aug/Sept
    Any opinions?

Nice heifers Farrell, esp the top right. I'd be worried that the white faced one wouldn't grow tall enough to bull at all though. She just looks like she'll stay butty round the back end with the way she's framed, maybe it's just the way her tail is set though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Kovu wrote: »
    Nice heifers Farrell, esp the top right. I'd be worried that the white faced one wouldn't grow tall enough to bull at all though. She just looks like she'll stay butty round the back end with the way she's framed, maybe it's just the way her tail is set though.
    Thanks, agree really disappointed with the LMX of late, she's grown out rather than up over the winter, we'll put them To grass soon & see if she starts to spurt, else she'll be for winter finishing.
    What about the FR, would you calve @ 21 months, she was 250Kg in Jan

Thanks, agree really disappointed with the LMX of late, she's grown out rather than up over the winter, we'll put them To grass soon & see if she starts to spurt, else she'll be for winter finishing.

I would, but sure I'm mad for hardship :pac: She looks wide enough and she'll have caught up with the Mar heifer (in height but not weight) by the time you're bulling that one. I'd do those two together, put maybe Towthorpe Dubai on them both and leave off the other one unless she grows up a bit. I am always wary of heifers that stall round that age and put weight on their middle rather than the back end, they don't really grow upwards any further when incalf either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

personally I wouldn't. calve September @26 months would be the way I'd go.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

This fella is out of the cow on the left of the top picture. We put her in to an ai Charolais bull same as every year. She's always had White calves like the lad in the too picture. I think a Hereford cross (black white head) bull I had here last summer got her before he was sold. What do ye think?

Sorry pictures are the other way around

Advertisement