Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Looks more like a ch to me, he'd have the full white head if the he colouring was there.
    Had a ch throw a red and white calf to a ch bull before as well!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

Kovu wrote: »
    Looks more like a ch to me, he'd have the full white head if the he colouring was there.
    Had a ch throw a red and white calf to a ch bull before as well!

Hopefully! He has a nice little shape to him so we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jimlh86 wrote: »
    Hopefully! He has a nice little shape to him so we'll see
    With any cross bred cow sired to a PB bull you can expect any colour from their offspring especially when several different breeds make up the dams genetics which is normal due to genetic throwback.
    IMO the calf looks like a CHx due to the bone shown in the photo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

Base price wrote: »
    With any cross bred cow sired to a PB bull you can expect any colour from their offspring especially when several different breeds make up the dams genetics which is normal due to genetic throwback.
    IMO the calf looks like a CHx due to the bone shown in the photo.

Yeah what Kovu said made sense, I remember being told a Hereford bull carries a gene that ensures an all white face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Pic taken a week ago. The field is closed up for silage and rolled to keep the contractor happy.:pac:

2016_05_05_16.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dh1985

Bull born 3rd Feb and a heifer born 3rd March

I think Little Red deserves a medal. On the 307th day, a tank was born...naturally!

BVKG88Tl.jpg

NhIPrCPl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

Wow - when are you weaning him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I think Little Red deserves a medal. On the 307th day, a tank was born...naturally!

BVKG88Tl.jpg

NhIPrCPl.jpg

Well fair play ta her. And you all ready to go with your calving jack ropes an all. You'll be pulling down that roll of wrap in a few weeks I suppose.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Well fair play ta her. And you all ready to go with your calving jack ropes an all. You'll be pulling down that roll of wrap in a few weeks I suppose.

That's where they live ;) Rather than throwing them here, there & everywhere, they live on that gate! Handy place for the wrap & duvet, the mouse cat sleeps up there.
    Poor Little Red, her butt will never be the same. She's our top starred cow of 128 or something, there'd be murder if anything happened her :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That's where they live ;) Rather than throwing them here, there & everywhere, they live on that gate! Handy place for the wrap & duvet, the mouse cat sleeps up there.
    Poor Little Red, her butt will never be the same. She's our top starred cow of 128 or something, there'd be murder if anything happened her :pac:
    What's her breeding Kovu LMx, BAx ?

A heifer I'm keeping on as a replacement. her mother is a pure pet very milky and very good fertility wise. She's only a three star heifer according to ICBF tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

A heifer I'm keeping on as a replacement. her mother is a pure pet very milky and very good fertility wise. She's only a three star heifer according to ICBF tho

3 star my hoop , she's a cracker !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,900 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

How much Boss, how much?
    What's her breeding?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Bullocks wrote: »
    3 star my hoop , she's a cracker !

Was just on herd plus there and she's after going.down to 2 stars.
    Her old man is Curaheen Bossman, so that's what's hurting her.

How much Boss, how much?
    What's her breeding?

ZBF Out of a ELZ Cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

She's alright I will give ya 990;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

She's alright I will give ya 990;):D

Il counter that with another 200. What weight is she?

Miname wrote: »
    Il counter that with another 200. What weight is she?

I reckon she's around 480 maybe a bit with it.
    Had to cut her off from the creep in the shed over the winter. She was gone mud fat and I was afraid she would damage herself wriggling through the creep gate. Any recommendations for bulling her? She's just going on 12 months now so twill be the autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭limo_100

ZBF Out of a ELZ Cow.

I have a ZBF heifer myself the bulls quality really comes through with his width. How do you find him for height mine got hurt and was limping for 6weeks its really set her back I hope theres enough growth in the bull to put her up

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »
    I have a ZBF heifer myself the bulls quality really comes through with his width. How do you find him for height mine got hurt and was limping for 6weeks its really set her back I hope theres enough growth in the bull to put her up

Ya he brings fierce power alright.
    I didn't think height would be a problem for him. Ive certainly had no problems with him in that department as of yet anyway. The heifer in the pic has mighty height for her age, tis probably hard to tell from the picture because she's very deep.
    Ya tis amazing how much an injury or sickness can effect thrive. I'm sure your heifer will make it up quickly on grass over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Had to cut her off from the creep in the shed over the winter. She was gone mud fat and I was afraid she would damage herself wriggling through the creep gate. Any recommendations for bulling her? She's just going on 12 months now so twill be the autumn.

Plenty big to bull now and have for next spring. Nice easy calving bull. She's a smasher fair play.

At 480 kilos I'd let her to the bull even if she's only twelve months. It won't do her a bit of harm. She'll make a good cow but like you said already watch for the fat.

A few of the replacements.

Another few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

A few of the replacements.

I really like the blue one , they're all nice . Must be quiet too when herself didn't even get up under you when taking the picture

Bullocks wrote: »
    I really like the blue one , they're all nice . Must be quiet too when herself didn't even get up under you when taking the picture
    All like lambs in fairness but I've a springer I bought that wasn't supposed to calve until July in a shed that tried its best to kill me last night. Ended up rounding her in with the tractor and a car. I don't think she'll ever get out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,900 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

All like lambs in fairness but I've a springer I bought that wasn't supposed to calve until July in a shed that tried its best to kill me last night. Ended up rounding her in with the tractor and a car. I don't think she'll ever get out again.
    Ya get rid of her if she's like that. Not worth the hassle.
    Did you buy in those 3 in the first pic? They'll make super cows.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Ya get rid of her if she's like that. Not worth the hassle.
    Did you buy in those 3 in the first pic? They'll make super cows.

Yeh had to really. Everything I put for maternal produced bulls bar a couple and most I went terminal with produced heifers, nice sorts but wouldn't be what I'd be after for in a cow so was left with no real option. That's happened the last couple of years. I had a big glut of heifers a couple of years back that I sold well I needed the money to be honest and it kills me to think of how good a cows they would have made and I've been jinxed every since getting Bulls when I needed heifers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Another few

Fine heifer. Would yeah not fatten her? Too good to make a cow of her! :)

Advertisement