Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

just do it wrote: »
    Where are the mods to put the brakes on chit chat in the photo thread? emot-raise.gif:D

Don't worry I pulled them on it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Reggie. wrote: »
    Don't worry I pulled them on it :P

Did the cable snap or did ya not pull them on hard enough? :p:p

Zr105 wrote: »

Oh Chinese steel.....what can I say :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Zr105 wrote: »

You need to give a moderate pull.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Get down from that height...you'll bloody kill yourself :D

It's not the fall that will kill you. It's the sudden stop when you hit the ground.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Sweaty feet? Athletes foot perhaps?
    Bluestone would definitely cure that............
    Anyhow, got a nice gash on my shoulder yesterday from an unfiled part of steel in our crush. Time for a tetanus shot!

didn't think tetanus shot required for steel jab, my GP insisted i get 3 shots to protect me from dog bites said covered for 10 years booster shot required after 3 i think or is it 5,bloody dogs and cats too.maybe atheletes foot would be common years ago lads lived in wellies to do most work.know fella and if he took shoes off hed empty Croke Park in jiffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Is this Red Clover???

Sorry for the bad picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I can picture Kovu in the bed now covering her head with the pillow...GO AWAY GO AWAY :D

......and not knowing the difference between an ear and a horn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Is this Red Clover???

Could be lucerne. Where ya see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

ganmo wrote: »
    Could be lucerne. Where ya see it?

In Laois, never seen it before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Is this Red Clover???

Poor photo but deffo not luscerne.
    My money would be on red clover.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mugsyy

trying to post a few photos and getting this message -

'You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user'

whats the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

mugsyy wrote: »
    trying to post a few photos and getting this message -

'You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user'

whats the story?

I'm afraid you have to have 50 posts before you post an image. However if you PM me the links I can embed them for you.

I'm afraid you have to have 50 posts before you post an image. However if you PM me the links I can embed them for you.

And embedded for you- Kovu.

pm'd you there - thanks

Some reclamation / drainage ive been at since last year
    Rushes before
    8Xx1vcDl.jpg
    Ibd7nh9l.jpg

Rushes after
    KzkKbHXl.jpg

i5ztJrxl.jpg
    IZIeEPdl.jpg
    xsjsZ34l.jpg
    c7xK6MVl.jpg
    xjL4Xgol.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Plenty of twine spent on that good job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

And embedded for you- Kovu.

pm'd you there - thanks

Some reclamation / drainage ive been at since last year
    Rushes before
    8Xx1vcDl.jpg
    Ibd7nh9l.jpg

Rushes after
    KzkKbHXl.jpg

i5ztJrxl.jpg
    IZIeEPdl.jpg
    xsjsZ34l.jpg
    c7xK6MVl.jpg
    xjL4Xgol.jpg

Fair play to you Mugsyy, please god twill dry out nicely for you.
    You'll have to let us know how you get on with it, Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You're a while at it :) But then again all good things take time! l remember those top photos being posted before.

Did you stick the seed in yet or will you wait til spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Was it just the bottom end of a field? Fair deuce anyway, drainage is the only cure for rushes

Muckit wrote: »
    You're a while at it :) But then again all good things take time! l remember those top photos being posted before.

Did you stick the seed in yet or will you wait til spring?

No didn't yet, have another problem to sort at the top end, hoping to seed in the spring Nice to get that end finished, was close to giving up a few times!!

just do it wrote: »
    Was it just the bottom end of a field? Fair deuce anyway, drainage is the only cure for rushes

Yes it's the bottom end of the field and the field is at the bottom of a long hill. When I opened it up I found plenty of old stone drains which we're not working. I found the problem was the open drain in the neighbours field which hadn't been cleaned out in years After a bit of negotiation with the neighbour, rather than clean the open drain out, I pulled a new drain through his field and put a six inch pipe in it. I used the laser and I reckon it has lowered the water table by 18 inches. Once I got the out fall sorted the older drains started to run again and the three new ones should also help. Fingers crossed now it will stay dry when the wet weather returns!!

• Advertisement

Yes it's the bottom end of the field and the field is at the bottom of a long hill. When I opened it up I found plenty of old stone drains which we're not working. I found the problem was the open drain in the neighbours field which hadn't been cleaned out in years After a bit of negotiation with the neighbour, rather than clean the open drain out, I pulled a new drain through his field and put a six inch pipe in it. I used the laser and I reckon it has lowered the water table by 18 inches. Once I got the out fall sorted the older drains started to run again and the three new ones should also help. Fingers crossed now it will stay dry when the wet weather returns!!

Great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

BA x Ch

photo_zpsd42114ff.jpg

Not a great pic as she was picking a bit of meal and just weaned but she very fancy

Genghis and Kovu fans of BA x CH .. Might hold her for a bit as have another lovely Kilmoney Bruce also
    photo_zpsee12bed8.jpg

Ooooh, nice. She came out with lovely hair on. I'd also be the lunatic putting blue on her to breed the blonde legs out.

Because nobody loves hardship like a Kovu:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Ooooh, nice. She came out with lovely hair on. I'd also be the lunatic putting blue on her to breed the blonde legs out.

Because nobody loves hardship like a Kovu:pac:

Would a blue Cross not have very fine legs?

Farrell wrote: »
    Would a blue Cross not have very fine legs?

Yes but I mean the height. I don't mind fine bone in an animal, you don't get paid for the bone in a factory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yes but I mean the height. I don't mind fine bone in an animal, you don't get paid for the bone in a factory!

unfortunately you do, we're not being paid on meat yield yet, bone's still in on the scales

Factory no, mart yes.
    But my fear would be sores from concrete.
    Do agree would be nice cross

Whoops where did I get that from then? That's just my preference for animals anyway, definitely more of an interest than any aspect of business potential apart from hopes of breeding show animals.

The Ch should give a blue better feet than a LM dam would though, from experience of the crosses here.

I like them myself, remember years ago seeing an article in the fj, on a farmer in meath who crossed 3/4 limo with bb, & then crossed back LM / BB depending on last cross - exceptional calves. I remember thinking at the time, that's the type of stock I'd like to breed (could be not wanted now).
    Saler is a good dam for the blue

• Advertisement

I know nothing about Salers:eek:

Our best breeders would have a mongrel breeding of Simmental/Br FR and about 1/2 or 3/4 Lim with that.

Advertisement