Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Jesus tis, you'll have a job knocking the condition off her before calving time.
    Whatever way she's looking in that pic her head looks to small for her body. Holy god she's some size of a cow. Is she tall?

I never seen newry to leave a butty one after him! Great stock furandfeather.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Jesus tis, you'll have a job knocking the condition off her before calving time.
    Whatever way she's looking in that pic her head looks to small for her body. Holy god she's some size of a cow. Is she tall?

Ya she's tall enough she's big everyways. Newry puts a big frame on them

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Some of the breeding heifers. All sired by the same Limousine bull. Probably gonna leave the black one as replacement and will try to sell the other three for somebody once they'll be bred by another Limousine bull. Here prices are pretty low for crossbred heifers, but hopefully will get ~1200eur for the red ones and ~1100eur for the yellow.
    DSCF3044_zpsbjiixffg.jpg
    DSCF3035_zps9wmcckwn.jpg
    DSCF3028_zpsugmbdeow.jpg
    DSCF3041_zpsmiqdfmia.jpg
    DSCF3042_zpsyvelmn0b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

september pedigree bull calf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

september pedigree bull calf

He's a nice one! Who's the daddy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

He's a nice one! Who's the daddy?

Aioli, very happy with him, Have a CBQ as well but not any where as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

4 kfy 2nd calfer incalf to bodybuilder

Have to say again. She's some heifer. She mightnt be the classiest but she has great frame. Simmental are a greatgreat if often underrated animal. Be a while,if we ever see a pic of a heifer on here to best her. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A big animal like that wont make you money though. In wet marginal land they'll cut the place up big time too. I've a few big cows like that, while they are nice to look at, I rather the smaller easier kept animal.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Correction. You might have big cows. But not like her. That was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

An argument for a different place I think

• Advertisement

September born fiston weanling. E3D60197-255C-4E82-A93E-A60AA8DBFF4C_zpsaprkgijs.jpg 14DF5AF6-1620-4F13-8225-20A904FA0D76_zpspqjvjpov.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Has your opinion of Fiston changed now LC? I remember you saying before that you didn't rate him much. That one looks OK to me.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Has your opinion of Fiston changed now LC? I remember you saying before that you didn't rate him much. That one looks OK to me.

That was the one I didn't like :rolleyes: Did really well in the last few months but still a bit on the lowing side. Have a niceish heifer calf by him too. You'd want plenty of altitude coming from the cows side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I'm after doing a deal on 10 Friesian cattle and can't help feeling I gave them away for nothing.
    Here is a few pics.
    What do ye think they are worth ?
    Nearly 2 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

20silkcut wrote: »
    I'm after doing a deal on 10 Friesian cattle and can't help feeling I have them away for nothing.
    Here is a few pics.
    What do ye think they are worth ?
    Nearly 2 years old.

If your happy I'd leave it at that, now yourhardly interested in a lovely batch of black and whites and these ones are dehorned.

Miname wrote: »
    If your happy I'd leave it at that, now yourhardly interested in a lovely batch of black and whites and these ones are dehorned.

They are woeful hard cattle to make any money on Jesus Christ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

They are woeful hard cattle to make any money on Jesus Christ .

Don't worry about the money side of things. There only dear the one day, now sure we're like old buddies here ( now if you were standing beside me you'd get a slap on the back and I'd be spitting on my hand for a deal).

Go way to jaysus it's getting rid of them scuttery Friesians I'm trying not take on more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Go way to jaysus it's getting rid of them scuttery Friesians I'm trying not take on more of them.

Now your talking. Christ I hate looking at them pointy baxtards. I'd have no idea what there worth but would they come into 1.90/2euro a kg?

Now your talking. Christ I hate looking at them pointy baxtards. I'd have no idea what there worth but would they come into 1.90/2euro a kg?

That would be a fantastic price for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

That would be a fantastic price for them.

What weight are they roughly?

What weight are they roughly?

About 340-350. These are the best of the bunch there are 3 or 4 Ethiopian looking pure Holsteins who are next to worthless these are dragging the per head price down closer to 1.50 per kilo.
    I had them on done deal at 600 per head got no enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

About 340-350. These are the best of the bunch there are 3 or 4 Ethiopian looking pure Holsteins who are next to worthless these are dragging the per head price down closer to 1.50 per kilo.
    I had them on done deal at 600 per head got no enquiries.

Very light for two year olds. Would be hard get them to finish under 30 and with the uncertainty about the backend ya could get rode at finishing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,615 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pure bred angus cow and her heifer calf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Mother & Daughter. Both overdue and both followed me up through three fields to come to the gate and try to follow me out the gate to get into the shed.
    They reckon the new arrivals are imminent. :pac::D

LA42YQSl.jpg

Edit....I should have brought them in, one just had a bag :o

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Omallep2

She calve ok?

Omallep2 wrote: »
    She calve ok?

It went tits up. Whatever could go wrong, did go wrong. No progress by 2 so decided to bring her in, that was about an hour after the first bag. All she was doing was getting up and lying down again.
    Had to bring them up through four fields as typically they were down beside the river. She was having none of it and ran back twice, then jumped into the field below the shed.
    So it was about four by the time we got her in, wouldn't go up the crush at all. Stuck her mother up in front of her and she followed her up.
    Handled her & huge feet. Jack and ropes.
    Got jammed around the chest area, cow went down on top of the jack, not even fully down, sitting like a dog and couldn't get her head free until I knocked he headlock bars out of the sizing parts.
    Went the full length of the jack, had to take ropes off and put them up above the knees, gave up on the jack once we got past the navel as it was a hindrance more than a help by that stage.
    Got calf out, no movement, no sign of life. Tried everything, even mouth to (nose) mouth. So fook it anyway. Cow is still down too.

But the other cow had a nice heifer calf, so that's good!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Omallep2

Kovu wrote: »
    It went tits up. Whatever could go wrong, did go wrong. No progress by 2 so decided to bring her in, that was about an hour after the first bag. All she was doing was getting up and lying down again.
    Had to bring them up through four fields as typically they were down beside the river. She was having none of it and ran back twice, then jumped into the field below the shed.
    So it was about four by the time we got her in, wouldn't go up the crush at all. Stuck her mother up in front of her and she followed her up.
    Got jammed around the chest area, cow went down on top of the jack, not even fully down, sitting like a dog and couldn't get her head free until I knocked he headlock bars out of the sizing parts.
    Went the full length of the jack, had to take ropes off and put them up above the knees, gave up on the jack once we got past the navel as it was a hindrance more than a help by that stage.
    Got calf out, no movement, no sign of life. Tried everything, even mouth to (nose) mouth. So fook it anyway. Cow is still down too.

Sorry to hear it. Hope cow is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 29,615 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Kovu wrote: »

what was she in calf to? Hate crap like that, will you put another calf on her? Hope all works out ok

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    what was she in calf to? Hate crap like that, will you put another calf on her? Hope all works out ok

PIO, 10% calving difficulty but never had an issue with him at all before. Cow was only two weeks over too, the other cow was just a week over to a BA so was expecting a far longer wait. :confused: There's at least 20kg between the two calves.
    Something could have spooked them last night I guess but they hadn't seemed anxious this morning. Don't know what I'll do with her yet, she's still down, trying to get up but just not able to get her right hind leg under her to provide the 'spring'. Have left the door open so she can work towards the door.
    Bollocks that anyway, bad year for us. I was only talking to the dead lorry driver at the neighbours the other day, I'll soon be on first name terms with him :(

Advertisement