Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

limo_100 wrote: »
    Have a few in calf to him for next spring how was he for calving? had you many off him? And how is the bull for growth and muscle? Tell me if im to nosy ;)

That's the only calf I have off ZCH, had to give her a bit of help with ropes at calving but she was too fat then. That's her 6th calf, he's well muscled and growing well, the cow has lots of muscle and is one of my best cows so that's helping him.
    ZCH is gone up to 10% calving difficulty now so only for mature cows I'd say.

These are two of her previous calves HCA (black) and FZF (red).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

First image is our most profitable cow. 50% limo. About 10% brown Swiss hence the colour. Very easy to feed, lovely calves.

Second is a 70% limo heifer 13 months off stock bull. to keep her as replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Full sister of the good bull calf I put up last week at 14 months. 42F0D168-3FD9-4209-BCD8-F664F7ED7B9A_zpsaufxpkfk.jpg 2B88E5FF-6DA5-4682-96C6-B3B70208B71B_zpshzbxgtrp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

This is by far my favourite thread on Boards. I really enjoy looking at all the pics of your stock. Fair play to ye for taking the pics and going to the effort of uploading them.
    I really miss breeding beef cattle but I get "my fix" here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Limestone.
    Shes a fine beast. Serious width to her. Are they all for keeping?
    I'd take that lady of ya in the background with the white stripe on her tail, if she's goin handy! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,900 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ha, I was thinking the same. They're all nice, in fairness.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Limestone you put lads with good land to shame with your stock, I'm constantly impressed by the quality across all your animals!

Meanwhile I'm dealing with fathead Odd-ear. She has discovered that she is addicted to ivy, she has also discovered that her legs are made for jumping. She has leapt onto the road three times in the last day, the bould b1tch. Here she is debating whether a copper birch is tasty or not.

pQ2EVRLh.jpg

But she is making a good go at rearing her calf! He's maybe 280-300kg, he's about 6 1/2 months.

YU1RNTDl.jpg

Kovu wrote: »
    Limestone you put lads with good land to shame with your stock, I'm constantly impressed by the quality across all your animals!

Meanwhile I'm dealing with fathead Odd-ear. She has discovered that she is addicted to ivy, she has also discovered that her legs are made for jumping. She has leapt onto the road three times in the last day, the bould b1tch. Here she is debating whether a copper birch is tasty or not.

pQ2EVRLh.jpg

But she is making a good go at rearing her calf! He's maybe 280-300kg, he's about 6 1/2 months.

YU1RNTDl.jpg
    He has length. Length = Kgs on the hook :)

Limestone.
    Shes a fine beast. Serious width to her. Are they all for keeping?
    I'd take that lady of ya in the background with the white stripe on her tail, if she's goin handy! !

I don't know what I'm doing with them yet to be honest. I have 10 of them there and 7 of them are 4 and 5 stars but I don't really need them. Have an awful lot of heifers kept with a few years so most of the cows are fairly young and I'd like to knock another year or two out of the bull aswell because he's doing the business. I had pics up of that one with the stripey tail during the winter, she's a better heifer than the red one but only 1 star. Had them by a main road for the winter and half the parish has put there name into the hat if they are being sold so don't think anything will be moving too handy ;)

tanko wrote: »
    OZS heifer, HCA bull (not a heifer unfortunately, must be going blind in my old age).

Nearly 8 months old now, didn't turn out too bad.

MgTAZUK.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    He has length. Length = Kgs on the hook :)

I won't be hanging him though!

I won't be hanging him though!
    Why not?

Base price wrote: »
    Why not?

Don't have the set up to keep bulls or any males at all really. As it stands we're looking like the shed will be rather full regardless this year.
    Let someone else get a turn on him ;)

Don't have the set up to keep bulls or any males at all really. As it stands we're looking like the shed will be rather full regardless this year.
    Let someone else get a turn on him ;)
    I suppose if you don't have the space to finish them then as long you get your cut and and are happy with it :)

Heifer calf out of the young bull I bought last year and a lim com. 23C051D0-C5DF-4E75-8EFC-7713EB13FC96_zpswvewiyx8.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Was looking thought my email and seen a few photos that I sent to my sister when she was in america. Thought I'd stick them up

Am I right in saying those calves either the green BVD tags are four years old now, did you keep the red Lim for breeding?

tanko wrote: »
    Am I right in saying those calves either the green BVD tags are four years old now, did you keep the red Lim for breeding?

Yes exactly:D. Kept her for breeding alright . breeds lovely long calves. Put her red lim bull calf up here earlier this year.in calf to BBQ this year so should have a nice musclely calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Now for something completely different.
    Maine Anjou calf from a black lim cow.

Wasn't impressed with him at first but turning into a nice square animal now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Where did you get the straws?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Great to see someone else with Maine anjou. We should set up a group!!

Miname wrote: »
    Where did you get the straws?

Got them from PG. tango is the bull

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Great to see someone else with Maine anjou. We should set up a group!!

Well that was my one and only attempt so far but might give it another go in the hope of a heifer

Well that was my one and only attempt so far but might give it another go in the hope of a heifer

Have you seen the new Lim bull Doudou?

What would be special by a heifer by him

What would be special by a heifer by him

Supposedly they're a milky breed

Supposedly they're a milky breed

Do they have the style of other breeds tho like part blonde lim . I'm not very adventurous tho Angus blue charolais and lum is all i use

January born heifer. 13B6A5EB-3BA8-477C-8C1F-E769B6268E9F_zps5wbmvikk.jpg A few May calves. 3722EBF9-2148-4B55-A068-BDBB2623A96E_zpshdiio0dh.jpg

Do they have the style of other breeds tho like part blonde lim . I'm not very adventurous tho Angus blue charolais and lum is all i use

Style is a very subjective term. Parthenaise would be my terminal breed of choice now.

The Maine Anjou wouldn't have the muscle of some breeds but would be ahead of the traditional breeds. Here is a pic of a bull and decide yourself http://https://www.google.ie/search?q=maine+anjou+arbrite&client=safari&hl=en-ie&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw6Mmk6cjNAhUKIsAKHSyyBIQQ_AUIBygB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=iGngi_OzsscolM%3A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Style is a very subjective term. Parthenaise would be my terminal breed of choice now.

The Maine Anjou wouldn't have the muscle of some breeds but would be ahead of the traditional breeds. Here is a pic of a bull and decide yourself http://https://www.google.ie/search?q=maine+anjou+arbrite&client=safari&hl=en-ie&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw6Mmk6cjNAhUKIsAKHSyyBIQQ_AUIBygB&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=iGngi_OzsscolM%3A

The Maine Anjou breed carries the double muscle gene , it should have shape. They also should cross really well with blues. All my info is just research as I'd love to try a few on some of my cows as an experiment. Straws are hard got but I see James Alexander is selling Maine Bulls now.

Advertisement